Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   not sure what is wrong!?!?! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79345)

trenarac November 12th, 2011 08:42 PM

not sure what is wrong!?!?!

I have a 1.5 yr old GS, when she walks her rear paw drags, almost like she can't pick it up completely, she does not yelp like she is in pain, but when she tries to get up to quickly she falls on her rear. she wants to run and play but she can't get full movement in that leg. what can cause this to happen? we have pretty much kept her under lock and key so far today, no running, jumping, playing with the other dogs nothing.

Winston November 12th, 2011 09:45 PM

Welcome to the board. Have you made a vet appointment yet? Please consult a vet as we are not vets here and that certainly sounds like your dog is having some serious problems.

trenarac November 12th, 2011 10:00 PM

yes, we took her to a vet this morning as soon as we noticed it. she said she thought it could be nerve damage but she was not sure, she was very vague in her diagnosis. it just seems to have gotten worse since we got home with her. there were no tests ran while we were at the vet.

Winston November 12th, 2011 10:26 PM

Did she fall or get hit? if you feel she is worse and nothing was really confirmed with the first vet maybe you could get a second opinion? It almost sounds like something neurological.

Is your dog a German Shepherd? I did a quick google search on those symptoms and there is something called Degenerative Myelopathy that seems to be common in that breed?

Honestly if your not comfortable with how the first vet was go to another its the only way to know for sure.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Longblades November 13th, 2011 09:56 AM

I would be going to a different Vet post haste. There could be an injury in her spine, that's what we had. Dragging toenails like that is a symptom of more than one thing. Dogs are pretty stoic but your girl could be in considerable pain.

What exactly did the Vet do? No X-ray? Drawer test? No pain meds? No protocol to follow? To mention only the few I can think of. Are you sure you actually saw a real Vet?

Monkey68 November 13th, 2011 12:49 PM

Second opinion

Agree with Longblades, if you have no result and there is a drastic change a wait and see approach may not work. Im not a vet but my dog was dragging his leg somewhat when it fell out of place from a luxating patella. But if your dog is falling over too this is worrisome. Did the vet palpate the spine and the legs? Did your dog receive anti inflammation drugs to see if this problem was pain related? Would try and get a second opinion.

MaxaLisa November 18th, 2011 01:09 AM

This could also be a tick disease.