Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   All the poor people.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29121)

Prin July 26th, 2006 11:18 PM

All the poor people..

I just wanted to say I'm thinking about all the folks in Montreal and surrounding area who are trying to sleep without A/C tonight... It's 12:15 and the humidex is still at 31C... :eek: Good luck!:D

(In case anybody is curious about the weather here... :D [url]http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-147_metric_e.html[/url] )

gomez July 27th, 2006 05:59 AM

While you're at it, please spare a thought for us "poor people" in the UK...

The Brits do not beleive in aircon, so there is no aircon anywhere... ANYWHERE!! Not in the movies, not in the tube or buses, not in the stores...

We have had three weeks of 25-32 weather with 80-90% humidity...

I'm lucky, at work we have 2 walk-in fridges, so that is my relief for a few brief moments, but in the kitchen we have registered temps of up to 50c...

So, I wish I was one of those people "suffering" without aircon for one night!!

Puppyluv July 27th, 2006 06:07 AM

Gomez, I heard about that! They were saying that they took the temperature of the tube one day and it was 47 degrees in there!!!! I feel VERY bad for you guys! Stay hydrated!! (and take a nap in one of those refridgerators!)

chico2 July 27th, 2006 06:59 AM

Gomez,I have a friend in Paris and it's the same there,probably all over Europe,I think they call it a"Canicule"..
What I don't understand is,it being the third year in a row with major heat-waves,why not install a/c:confused:
The world climate is changing and we better get used to this,in Canada,most people who can afford it have a/c and ALL public buildings,restaurants and stores have a/c.

mastifflover July 27th, 2006 07:49 AM

I want AC I have 4 fans 3 are aimed lower for Bud this weather is brutal for him. I get one and it is so hot in my loft.

LibbyP July 27th, 2006 08:55 AM

I'm in the same boat with you mastifflover, (must be a [B]REALLY[/B] big boat) hotter than [B]Poop[/B] cannot wait till cooler weather, guess that's why I'm a fall/winter girl:) The big girl is not handling the heat very well, alittle worried about her breathing:confused: but if I touch her and tell her to relax her breathing goes back to normal, I think [B]everyone[/B] is suffering from the heat!!!

technodoll July 27th, 2006 09:16 AM

i hate this heat and humidity :mad: my boy is back to not eating, 3rd day now and his ribs are showing again, grrrr :mad: both dogs just lay there panting, hot and miserable. sigh. i used to love summer but now... it's just not pleasant. where are the warm, dry, balmy 24C days we used to have? what the heck is going on with this stupid weather?

mastifflover July 27th, 2006 09:35 AM

Hey Libby if I find Bud getting just too hot I wet a towel with cool water not cold and lie it on him he loves it. I would let him lie on it but in my loft I have hardwood floors and the water would drip through to the guy below me. But it really cools him down and he loves it I also spray him with a spritzer of water. Bud is not eating much either. I would rather have this than snow any day. I could live without the humidity

LianneCatherine July 27th, 2006 09:39 AM

I feel so bad for you guys - I can't even imagine that kind of heat with little or no relief!!

Having no A/C in the US is unheard of; my office right now is so cold, I have a space heater on!!!

:sorry:

Hang in there!!!

mastifflover July 27th, 2006 10:22 AM

I just came back from the store with Frosty Paws for Buddy and Ben and Jerrys for me Yummy

Prin July 27th, 2006 10:43 AM

Gomez, thanks for reminding me about that. I hope this heat wave is easier than the last huge one a few years back.:( :fingerscr

We've only got one 10,500btu window a/c embedded in the wall. Does the job. :)

jjgeonerd July 27th, 2006 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=LianneCatherine]

Having no A/C in the US is unheard of;

[/QUOTE]

Not in Seattle! We just got done with 5 straight days of 90+ *F weather (32+ *C)...and most places have no AC here. New office buildings do but that's about it. It was 95 in my house at 9 pm!! Luckily I have a basement where it was cooler so we slept there.

Prin July 27th, 2006 01:45 PM

Maybe my perception is warped, but I think a/c becoming mainstream in Montreal is a relatively new thing. When I was growing up, it was a luxury but now people see it almost as important as heat is in the winter. Maybe it's just getting hotter...

mastifflover July 27th, 2006 04:18 PM

It is getting hotter I think it is also much more humid in the summers than it used to be and that is the part that makes it uncomfortable

jesse's mommy July 27th, 2006 05:51 PM

I told my honey that I wouldn't move to Florida if we didn't find a place with central air (I'm a baby). I also told him that if a hurricane came through that knocked our power out we would be driving to Georgia and finding a pet friendly hotel. :o

So everyone, stay very hydrated.

Frenchy July 27th, 2006 06:05 PM

It is hot and the humidity!:yell: I'm about to shave my head :frustrated:(I just love the new smilies!) and if Sam could stop breathing on me.....breath of a 100 pound golden is hot!

Puppyluv July 27th, 2006 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=Prin]Maybe my perception is warped, but I think a/c becoming mainstream in Montreal is a relatively new thing. When I was growing up, it was a luxury but now people see it almost as important as heat is in the winter. Maybe it's just getting hotter...[/QUOTE]

I don't know prin.. my dad grew up here, and he said that everyone he knew had ac...
In cowtown, they don't have a/c they have humidifiers!!!! What remarkably different weather our Country has!

wdawson July 27th, 2006 06:57 PM

well think about what you are complaining about now.........come mid february 15 minutes before work and doggie needs to pee........15cm snow on the ground and its blowing with no visability......:sad: (toronto will be ok with the army coming to the rescue:D )....give me this anyday:D

Prin July 27th, 2006 07:10 PM

lol I love the snow, so I'm free to complain as much as I like in the summer.:cloud9:

mastifflover July 27th, 2006 07:15 PM

I would rather suffer in heat then freeze any day. Bud on the other hand is very happy with lots of snow to run in. He just stands over me and pants on me with the lovely shower of drool he provides.

technodoll July 27th, 2006 07:41 PM

i'm at my happiest in "mid range" weather, and this is definitely NOT mid-range :mad: man. walking from the bedroom which has AC, and the rest of the appartment which is a sauna, it's quite the experience... (insert emoticon of face bathed in sweat!) :p

LibbyP July 27th, 2006 10:11 PM

[B]HA HA HA[/B] how true that is about the army coming in to save all you poor people in a state of emergency in TO -wdawson thats so true, but you can have my share of this weather if you like it so much:rolleyes: ;)

Prin July 27th, 2006 10:14 PM

That was the biggest joke for Qcers. We got like double the snow and no army... Difference was we had these things called "plows", not "Snow melters". :clown:

chico2 July 28th, 2006 07:19 AM

Don't forget the"soldiers for the snow-emergency"was Mayor Mel Lastmans idea,he was the biggest joke of all:D

Puppyluv July 28th, 2006 07:23 AM

The death toll in California due to the heat has reached the triple didgits. Forget us, my thoughts are with them.

Rick C July 28th, 2006 09:04 AM

It was 94 Farenheit or 34 celcius when I took this picture of Keeper laying in Galatea Creek in Kananaskis Country west of Calgary . . . . . the mountain stream was o' so cool . . . .

[IMG]http://www.goldentales.ca/18360040-edit1.jpg[/IMG]

The heat seems to have broken here in Calgary . . . . . I went for an hour run last evening on the highway under an overcast sky and a temperature in the low 20's celcius.

Rick C
[url]www.goldentales.ca[/url]

Mahealani770 July 28th, 2006 09:07 AM

Um..am I the only one who doesn't know how to convert celcius into degrees?:confused: I don't recall learning that in shool...lol

Rick C July 28th, 2006 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Mahealani770]Um..am I the only one who doesn't know how to convert celcius into degrees?:confused: I don't recall learning that in shool...lol[/QUOTE]

Here you go.

[url]http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm[/url]

Rick C
[url]www.goldentales.ca[/url]

Mahealani770 July 28th, 2006 09:15 AM

Cool...thanks Rick! And by the way, that stream looks so cool and clean..it makes me want to jump in!!

Prin July 28th, 2006 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Puppyluv]The death toll in California due to the heat has reached the triple didgits. Forget us, my thoughts are with them.[/QUOTE]
:( :sad: :(