Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   and now there are 6 (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54528)

chico2 July 18th, 2008 04:07 PM

and now there are 6

Crows that is,mama and papa introduced us to their 4 babies,we only saw 2 before,but there is 4:thumbs up
You might think I am a bit weird,but I love all birds,including the Crows.
Today,after I put out some leftover food and a handful of peanuts,I was watching them.
One of the parents were kind of standing on guard,while the other made sure the babies got enough food.
At one point,one parent got a peanut,cracked it open and handed it to the baby,they are so much fun to watch.
I am hoping one day they will trust me enough so I can get a picture.

sugarcatmom July 18th, 2008 05:05 PM

I love Crows too! And Magpies, which is definitely not a popular opinion to have in these parts. I'm always feeding them left over cat food. So if you're weird, so am I.

My husband was mowing the lawn a couple months ago when this guy came up to him with a really long pole and asked if he could knock down the nest that a pair of magpies had built in one of my trees. Hubby was probably nicer to him than I would have been, but he declined the offer and then proceeded to take him into our backyard to show him our feeder and talk about all the different birds that hang out there, raising their young. Robins, House Finches, Chickadees, Nut Hatches, White Crowned Sparrows, Blue Jays, Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers...... and yes, even Magpies and Crows. And I love 'em all.

chico2 July 19th, 2008 06:57 AM

Sugarcat,you and hubby are definitely my kind of people:thumbs up
We do not have any Magpies here,not even a lot of Crows.
West Nile virus killed off most of them:sad:and probably still does.
That's why I am so happy my pair had 4 babies and they are doing good:thumbs up
I don't throw out any food,the Crows gobble it up in no-time.

katherine93 July 19th, 2008 11:38 PM

I love seagulls:lovestruck::cloud9: they are my favorite bird. people think im nuts, because i dont know what its like for you guys and where your from, but down here,seagulls are EVERYWHERE. And I mean, everywhere. I think they are one of the most beautiful seabirds in the world. And i think alot of other people would share the same opinion, if we didnt pertray(sp?) the image of them eating our garbage. People think they carry diseases, which may be true in some cases, but they are very clean animals. They would have to be , or those beautiful white feathers would be black.. Anyway, I always bring food outside and feed them, or if we park our truck at the marina and eat our supper, I cant help but to give them some, they will literally come over and take the food from your hands, and the ones that don't will just stand there and stare at ya while your eating, just waiting for you to throw him some. I loooove them sooo much!

chico2 July 20th, 2008 06:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Katherine93,I live not too far from the lake and we have lots of Seagulls and I have to shooo them away.
There is no way I would feed them from my house,I would have the neighbors all over me:laughing:
Feeding them by the lake or the ocean is ok,but not with all the houses here.
I'll stick with my Crows and all the other birds.
Here are a couple of pics from last October in South Carolina.

katherine93 July 20th, 2008 06:20 PM

awww! They are ABSOLUTELY Gorgous!!! They are pretty birds, but they do get annoying at times, especially when you go out and your garbage is scattered around the yard:shrug: :wall:

krdahmer July 25th, 2008 12:16 PM

Oh I love the seagull pics! I too love seagulls, they may not be the smartest birds, but I love the way they are so persistant! I was at the beach one fall all alone just relaxing and having some lunch, when a seagull came right up to me! No one else was on the beach so I shared my lunch with him/her and even talked to it for a while! :crazy::laughing: And it was a great day.... I was so relaxed when I got home.

And another occassion Hubby and I were taking the CheChemaun (sp?) from Tobermory, and he had gotten some fries.... well this seagull followed the boat almost all the way just gliding along, it was so pretty to watch... and every once in a while he would swoop down towards the deck and grab a fry hubby would hold out for him! The people with us on the deck were clapping and laughing at hubby's 'trained' seagull! :laughing:

chico2 July 25th, 2008 03:59 PM

I love all birds,but the problem here is,you don't just get one,you get 50:yell:
and they just suck up any food in 2 sec,none left for my Crows or the other birds.
On the beach in South Carolina they are fine and fun to watch.

bendyfoot July 30th, 2008 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=krdahmer;628711]
And another occassion Hubby and I were taking the CheChemaun (sp?) from Tobermory, and he had gotten some fries.... well this seagull followed the boat almost all the way just gliding along, it was so pretty to watch... and every once in a while he would swoop down towards the deck and grab a fry hubby would hold out for him! The people with us on the deck were clapping and laughing at hubby's 'trained' seagull! :laughing:[/QUOTE]

That's too funny, I used to do the same thing on the same boat when I was a kid...only with Cheezies...and I would hold them sticking out of my mouth for them to take!!!:laughing:

happycats July 31st, 2008 09:27 AM

I would love to see a pic of that! I love birds too, especially crows. My mother hand raised one when she was younger, and my aunt has rescued a few, they are so smart.

chico2 July 31st, 2008 03:39 PM

Happycats,I've been feeding my Crows leftovers ever since I had a wounded old Crow,he was the only one who survived West Nile of a group of seven.
Then he got a mate,they had babies and so on,,,the wounded Crow is gone for a couple of years now:sad:
But I have 2 more now and the day they brought their 4 babies,I got super-excited.
I have yet to get a picture,wish I had a better camera....they are sooo much fun to watch,I have learned so much about them,just by watching,
The other morning,they were all going frantic,I ran out,and there was a strange kitty eating their food:yell:
I do really love them,love watching them and I am glad someone else does too:thumbs up