Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   He won't shut up. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84592)

Pendras September 23rd, 2013 11:13 PM

He won't shut up.

Hi I'm new here and I am in desperate need of some kitty advice. Four years ago me and my mom adopted Horatio from a ASPCA event at our pet shop. Mom ultimately decided that she wanted Horatio because he talked to her, instead of his brother who ignored her. After a few days we finally got him. Adjustments was taxing as he was so picky we had to get rid of several different brands of new food. Since then we've come to love our smoosher. But recently he has been driving us up the wall. I keep my bedroom door closed cause I can't sleep with it open. He has never really gotten use to it and he slams into it on occasion. I am a heavy sleeper and normally it's easy to ignore him but its gotten to the poi t that he will cry for hours on end. Mom is a light sleeper and no matter what he will not go to her even if her door is open. If I do open my door he will just run down stairs and cry at the bottom of the stairs. Mom and I always make sure he has fresh water and food befor bed, and his kitty bed lies between our two doors. We find his behavior odd as well as annoying because he does not enjoy us bei g downstairs. he is a big boy who likes to be the little spoon and he can't do that on the couches. We are starti g to think he doesn't like it when we aren't together with him in my mothers bed as that seems to be the only time he is truely content. He is overly attatched to both as if one of us leaves it like a bomb went off inside him and he gives the "I'm dying inside" cry. Lately if I'm alone with mom gone the only way to make him stop is to camp out in her room and only after much coaxing and begging. Please we really need some advice. Why is he crying so much? We need sleep!

sugarcatmom September 24th, 2013 07:24 AM

It's possible that your kitty might be bored. How much exercise does he get? Do you and/or your mom have regular interactive play sessions with him? I'd suggest a really big play session right before bed, followed by a bedtime snack. That should hopefully help him sleep through the night, or at least buy you more time. Then the trick is to completely ignore him when he does try to get you up (use earplugs if necessary). Eventually he'll realize that his methods aren't working and stop (or find something else to try :rolleyes:). Here is another thread from someone who had a similar problem where playtime before bed really helped: [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84397&highlight=bedtime[/url]

Good luck!

Barkingdog September 24th, 2013 09:28 AM

You try putting an old t shirt of your and your mom in you cat bed and see if that will made him feel less lonely. Is he acting like he does not feel good , and is he peeing OK?

Pendras September 25th, 2013 08:10 AM

Yeah we tried the t'shirt thing and it still doesn't use it. The only time he does is when he's sick and that's his tell. He does have kidney problems but lately we have been giving him daily doses of cranberry/water mixtures and that keeps him regular along with his cranberry treats. So he pees just fine now. I played with him with his laser pointer and he hasn't cried tonight but he was crying during the day, but those are his " I wanna go lay in mommies bed but I want company" cries. He really doesn't like it when were down stairs :D. I'll have to check mom to see how quiet he really was last night. But I'll keep up with the play time.

Also my mother has her own troubles with him envolving his red mouse on a string. He doesn't play with it really but he drags it with him everywhere like its his blankie. He will even wake up from deep sleep, go find it and drape it over my moms pillow and go back to sleep. It's weird.

Barkingdog September 25th, 2013 08:37 AM

do you have a Siamese cat? I know they can meow a lot . you could try a cat calming spray that looks like an air fresher It plug into an outlet. A vet office uses these to help calm down cats while they're being seen by a vet.

Pendras September 25th, 2013 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1061740]do you have a Siamese cat? I know they can meow a lot . you could try a cat calming spray that looks like an air fresher It plug into an outlet. A vet office uses these to help calm down cats while they're being seen by a vet.[/QUOTE]

No he's a mutt cat mostly a Tom cat. He's just such a whiney thing. And so clingy. Throws tantrums. I'll check into the calming spray, that sounds like a good idea! Thanks.

Koteburo September 25th, 2013 02:08 PM

I remember not so long ago a thread with a similar problem and I remember the advice given was to dedicate some play time before going to bed or during the evening, 10 mins of playing with your kitty. For that person worked out very well. Like SCM suggested he could be bored and lonely, play time can do wonders for them. Why don't you give this a try and see how it goes ;) ?