Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for pets (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   wheat free salmon treats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60457)

Sib.HuskyMom February 2nd, 2009 05:19 PM

wheat free salmon treats

Well, I did. My first attempt at making home made dog treats. I figured that I've spent so much time and effort researching the best food for my boys, that I should make sure they're getting the best treats too, right?

So after lots of searching, I found this recipe. I have to admit, I'm not a fan of salmon to begin with, and after the smell carried through my entire house.... EEEWWWW! :yuck:

HOWEVER, the puppies absolutely LOVED them!

So here's the recipe. I got close to a hundred little cookies out of this. Enjoy!

[B]Wheat-free Salmon Treats [/B]
• 18 oz. (510g) can salmon with juice (source of omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat)
• ½ cup chopped fresh parsley (for fresh breath)
• 3 eggs, shells included (shells are a good source of calcium)
• ½ cup sesame seeds ground in coffee grinder (source of calcium, protein, B vitamins and fatty acids)
• ½ cup flax seeds ground in coffee grinder (helps stimulate the immune system and a source of fatty acids)
• 2 cups potato flour (grain free)
• ¼ cup of milk to moisten (if necessary)
Put the first five ingredients into a food processor or blender. Pour into a large mixing bowl and slowly add flour (and milk). Mix well until it is the consistency of cookie batter.
Either roll into small balls and flatten, or cut into cookie cutter shapes, and place on cookie sheet. Bake in a 375º oven for about 20-25 minutes. You can make them as soft or as hard as you want.

Store in the fridge

Brandon W April 7th, 2011 08:06 PM

Tried Recipe for my dogs!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Huskymom I finally got a good texture of the mix to mould them. They turned out great! The dogs love them! Their eyes light up everytime I go for them hah ! Thanks for the recipe.

Do they look about right to the ones you make ?!? LOL

Sib.HuskyMom April 8th, 2011 04:31 PM

haha - your dogs are far luckier than mine. They get bone shapes! Mine just get little blobs with my thumb print in the middle :D

Glad to hear they enjoy them. Mine sure do too.
I just keep them in the freezer so they last longer and then serve them frozen. :thumbs up

Brandon W April 8th, 2011 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=Sib.HuskyMom;1001650]haha - your dogs are far luckier than mine. They get bone shapes! Mine just get little blobs with my thumb print in the middle :D

Glad to hear they enjoy them. Mine sure do too.
I just keep them in the freezer so they last longer and then serve them frozen. :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Hahah they are lucky! They were gonna get stars and teddy bears,but my sister went and bought a bone shaped cutter hah! They lovee them,its crazy how excited they get. Dont even have to tell them to sit or anything they do it right away haha,and if im not fast enough they cycle through their tricks. Yup ive been doing the same,I keep them in the freezer and give them to the dogs frozen.Thanks again its a great recipe !!

serenamlambe December 22nd, 2011 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, in the midst of my Christmas baking spree, I figured that the dogs deserved to have some baked goods as well. This recipe seemed pretty healthy, so I thought I would try it out myself. Turned out great! The consistency was a little hard to work with at first, but I figured it all out :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, my dogs LOVE them and keep following me around looking for more! :laughing:

Here's the finished product. They turned out a lot more green than in the other picture posted above... maybe I put in too much parsley :P These bones are about one inch long. Perfect for my little ones.

Plus I made some bigger bones for a friend of my pups, a beagle. We'll be visiting with him and his parents on Christmas Eve, so now everyone gets a treat! :lovestruck: :party:

THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!!

hazelrunpack December 23rd, 2011 10:40 AM

They look yummy, Serena! Your crew is so lucky! :D