Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Kitten health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   4 month kitten with a heart murmur (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78183)

Miu2011 August 8th, 2011 12:03 PM

4 month kitten with a heart murmur

I was told my 4 month old Sphynx kitten was diagnosed with a level/grade 3 heart murmur. The vet suggested an ultrasound with a cardiologist, which I have scheduled. From others I've spoken to online and also from what I've read, heart murmurs can go away -- the kitten grows out of it. But my vet felt a level 3 murmur on a 4 month old kitten didn't seem like it was going to be grown out of. Obviously I'll do whatever for my kitten's health, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I don't want to postpone an important test, but the test isn't cheap -- at least $400 -- so I don't want to overreact either. Advice?? :(
Thanks.

Dog Dancer August 8th, 2011 03:10 PM

Sorry I have no experience with this, but wanted to wish you the best of luck with your kitty. I'd do the test if at all possible, because if nothing else it will give you some baseline info on the state of the murmur.

sue3pets August 8th, 2011 04:08 PM

cat

My cat also went to the cardiologest and had a ultra sound 6 years ago. He was diagnosed with Systolic anterior motion SAM of the mitral valva. Then a year later on the ultra sound it showed that he also was getting hypertrophied HCM which is not good. So at that time the dr. put him on a beta blocker of Atenolol. Which I buy at my regular pharmacy.
The Dr. doesn't know how long he will live but the Atenolol does help it to slow down. And he does go for a ultra sound each year.
He is such a sweet cat that I love him so much that the money doesn't matter. His sister doesn't have SAM or the HCM. But he is long hair and his sister is short hair so they don't have the same Dad.
Hope this helps.

Miu2011 August 8th, 2011 04:30 PM

Thanks, Dog Dancer. She is scheduled and I'm going forward with the test. I'll let you guys know what happens. Please send kitty good thoughts. :)

Miu2011 August 8th, 2011 04:31 PM

Thanks, Sue. I've read a lot of inspiring stories online so I haven't given up hope. It's a wait and see sort of thing. I'll keep you posted.

mikischo August 8th, 2011 05:24 PM

Glad to hear you will be going ahead with the ultrasound.

Heart murmurs are graded 1 to 6 based on the loudness of the sound with grade 1 being very faint and grade 6 being very loud. Although in general the higher the grade the more serious the disease is likely to be, this is not always the case.

The ultrasound is the only way to diagnose the type of cardiac disease, the prognosis, and the best course of treatment.

Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes: :fingerscr:fingerscr for you and your kitty.

Will be watching for an update.

DMCWLVSSR August 8th, 2011 08:50 PM

My Mischka is a HCM kitty too. Diagnosed 6 years ago by ultrasound. She has been on Atenolol too and doing splendid. Sending hugs prayers and purrs

cpietra16 August 8th, 2011 09:40 PM

Every cat is different. But, 17 years ago my little month old was diagnosed with a level 4 heart murmur...each cat is different and I am not saying that all cats with this type of diagnosis lives a very long life, but mine did and so don;t panic yet and don't get discouraged..

Miu2011 August 27th, 2011 04:30 PM

Well everyone Miu does in fact have HCM. I am just a mess. She is taking Atenolol and one other medication -- the name escapes me at the moment. Basically the vet isn't very optimistic given Miu's age and the severity of the illness. Don't know what else to say right now. Thanks for the kind words though.

hazelrunpack August 27th, 2011 05:02 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this news, Miu2011 :2huggers: Wishing all the best for you and your kitty! :goodvibes:

sugarcatmom August 27th, 2011 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=Miu2011;1022400]Well everyone Miu does in fact have HCM. I am just a mess. She is taking Atenolol and one other medication -- the name escapes me at the moment. Basically the vet isn't very optimistic given Miu's age and the severity of the illness. Don't know what else to say right now. Thanks for the kind words though.[/QUOTE]

You might want to check out the [url=http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/]Feline-Heart support group[/url] on Yahoo groups. A lot of experienced caregivers there that are going through exactly what you are. My own cat has HCM as diagnosed by echocardiogram, and he also takes Atenolol. He's had it for years and is doing great at 18+. So even though heart issues can be serious, it doesn't absolutely mean a shortened lifespan.

All the best to you and Miu. :grouphug:

Michelle307 November 10th, 2011 10:47 AM

Oh, that is so sad and as others have said, don't give up hope. Last month my 4 month old Cinder was diagnosed with a heart murmur too - the vet didn't give it a stage number but said it was not very pronounced and that it's common in kittens and she will likely grow out of it. My husband even had one as a kid and grew out of it completely. Your kitty is in our thoughts and good intentions are being sent out as I write this and read this thread.

I wish you and yours the very best!
Michelle

Koteburo November 11th, 2011 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=Michelle307;1028679]Oh, that is so sad and as others have said, don't give up hope. Last month my 4 month old Cinder was diagnosed with a heart murmur too - the vet didn't give it a stage number but said it was not very pronounced and that it's common in kittens and she will likely grow out of it. My husband even had one as a kid and grew out of it completely. Your kitty is in our thoughts and good intentions are being sent out as I write this and read this thread.

I wish you and yours the very best!
Michelle[/QUOTE]

That is a very encouraging thought :)
It's also good to know about this.