Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My smart boy Rocky.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62026)

chico2 April 9th, 2009 04:29 PM

My smart boy Rocky..

1 Attachment(s)
Rocky has lost a lot of muscle-mass in his back legs and the litterboxes are downstairs.
He usually walks up slowly,with a bit of effort,but now he's found a new way:laughing:
He calls mom to come and carry him up:laughing:
He'll sit at the bottom of the stairs and meow until I come and get him,how's that for smart:cat:
There seems to be nothing wrong with his legs when he does his zoomies ,plays or is outside,but the vet says he's probably in pain.
Already taking Hyper T meds,I hate to put him on any more meds.

sugarcatmom April 9th, 2009 08:18 PM

I can't remember, how old is Rocky? Could there possibly be some arthritis in his hips? I've read that something like 80-90% of cats over the age of 12 have some degree of arthritis, usually in either their elbows, shoulders or hips. Maybe Rocky would benefit from a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement such as Cosequin. It's very well tolerated by cats and comes in capsules that are easily mixed with food. Aztec has been taking it for a few years now and it's definitely made a difference (less limping) despite some pretty severe arthritis in his elbows.

hazelrunpack April 9th, 2009 08:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Rocky isn't feeling 100%...but he's sure got the nicest mom in the world to give him a lift up the stairs :grouphug:

You may want to try the pain meds, too, chico. You can always discontinue them. I remember when we had Priscilla--we knew she had severe dysplasia, but it didn't seem to slow her down any. Still, the xrays were bad enough that the vet recommended some pain meds and glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. We couldn't believe the difference! Although active before that, she was suddenly a puppy again. :D

chico2 April 10th, 2009 08:34 AM

Thank's girls,my old vet said he probably had arthritis,his backend is really skinny,he is 13yrs old.
I will start him on the Glucosamine/chondroitine,I have some here but noticed it's expired,so I'll have to get some.
This all happened at the time he was losing weight due to the HyperT.
After Vinnies surgery on Wednesday it will be Rockys turn for a check-up,I'll ask the vet then.

ancientgirl April 10th, 2009 10:35 AM

Chico, I'm sorry Rocky is feeling bad.

I found this page on the Only Natural Pet Store site. Maybe you can look into these and see if one of them suits Rocky.:shrug:

[url]http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?avs|Pet+Type=Cats&avs|Health+Condition=Joint+Support[/url]

Lukka'sma April 10th, 2009 12:00 PM

What a great mommy you are to carry Rocky hither and dale. He knows how to manipulate you:thumbs up

14+kitties April 10th, 2009 12:10 PM

Sweet Rocky. :cloud9: He knows what to do to get Mom's attention. :thumbs up Smart boy. I love looking at pics of him sunning. The expression on his face..... he looks like TT. Or, more correctly, TT looks like him.

TacoGrl April 10th, 2009 12:57 PM

Boy! Laying in the sun...mom carrying him where he needs to go! No wonder he has a smile on his face! :D

rainbow April 10th, 2009 01:24 PM

I know I've said this before but when I come back in my next life I want to be one of your kitties. :cloud9:

:fingerscr :goodvibes: for Rocky.

chico2 April 10th, 2009 04:13 PM

AG,don't feel sorry for him,he is his usual self,still able to jump up everywhere.
Just now he ran down to the boxes and now he's at the bottom of the stairs meowing,the slave has to leave for a minute:laughing:
I will take him in to the vet as soon as Vinnie is done with his procedure,I don't think it's a great hurry,he's been like this for a while,after he lost much of his weight.