Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help Stop Gas Chambers In Canada.. Please Read (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68523)

HelenNutmeg February 17th, 2010 07:05 PM

Help Stop Gas Chambers In Canada.. Please Read

Here is the story.. Stand Up For Those without A Voice..

[URL="http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/2010/02/peaceful-demonstration-against-gas.html"]http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/2010/02/peaceful-demonstration-against-gas.html[/URL]

Approved by Admin.

luckypenny February 17th, 2010 07:42 PM

We have a pound nearby that still uses a gas chamber. I just brought myself to google videos "animals death by gas chamber."

I'll be there on the 17th. If anyone on the South Shore needs a ride, let me know.

Thanks for posting Helen.

aslan February 17th, 2010 08:43 PM

LP if you just saw the video i did i'd be going too. Omg.:cry:

luckypenny February 17th, 2010 08:49 PM

I saw a bad one too. I had to turn down off the volume quickly because all our dogs rushed next to me in a panic. I'm sure they could hear, and understand, more than what I did :(.

aslan February 17th, 2010 08:50 PM

yeah i think it was the same one,, qman came running through and i seriously think he was watching it then started whining. I would live on the streets before i could do that for a living.

Frenchy February 17th, 2010 08:58 PM

I saw one months ago ... I think you're talking about the same one .... container ? :(

luckypenny February 17th, 2010 08:59 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what they all use. The one over here too.

aslan February 17th, 2010 08:59 PM

ummmm puppies?

luckypenny February 17th, 2010 09:01 PM

Helen, is there a list of all the municipalities in Quebec where pounds still use gas chambers?

You know, [I]we[/I] pay for this. [I]We're[/I] responsible for this. And only we can fix this.

kathryn February 17th, 2010 09:29 PM

How common are gas chambers in Canada? Sort of surprised they are still being used up there.

New legislation is getting through to ban gas chambers in Georgia!! :thumbs up

luckypenny February 17th, 2010 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=kathryn;886562]How common are gas chambers in Canada? Sort of surprised they are still being used up there.

New legislation is getting through to ban gas chambers in Georgia!! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Statistics are hard to find Kathryn. I can think of two (one nearby) off the top of my head. The one I had gone to visit won't even work with rescues to save dogs that are scheduled for euthanasia. And this is a pound that has 27 contracts from municipalities on the South Shore of Montreal alone. As taxpayers, we're paying for their services. Gassing included.

HelenNutmeg February 18th, 2010 11:25 AM

Its an ugly secret who uses these so word doesn't get out.. I know that SPA Trois Rivieres does..

BenMax February 19th, 2010 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=luckypenny;886543]Helen, is there a list of all the municipalities in Quebec where pounds still use gas chambers?

You know, [I]we[/I] pay for this. [I]We're[/I] responsible for this. And only we can fix this.[/QUOTE]

FUnny you should ask as I have been trying to get this information. Anima Quebec will not release this information because THEY DON'T KNOW,nor do they care.

Remember when I pulled the 50+ out from a pound in St-Lin??? Well - things are still at a stand still...even with the media coverage.

The government, our HS and Anima Quebec is not interested in even trying to answer the questions. (BTW - there are even SPCA's apparently (one I am still trying to get info on) that are gassing). Unfriggenreal!

I can provide you with some very interesting info if you like...by e-mail only.

mikischo February 19th, 2010 11:09 AM

This is so sad.:( I signed the petition. To the best of my knowledge there are none in Manitoba. Am I being overconfident in thinking there are none in Manitoba or is this something I should be checking into here?

HelenNutmeg February 19th, 2010 11:13 AM

Check into.. lives depend on it..

Thank You

mikischo February 19th, 2010 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=HelenNutmeg;887075]Check into.. lives depend on it..

Thank You[/QUOTE]

Okay. I'll start making some phone calls and see what I can find out.

BenMax February 19th, 2010 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=mikischo;887074]This is so sad.:( I signed the petition. To the best of my knowledge there are none in Manitoba. Am I being overconfident in thinking there are none in Manitoba or is this something I should be checking into here?[/QUOTE]

It is happening in every province. Check the pounds more so than SPCAs. There are various ways to euthanize in Canada that will make your head spin. It's disgusting and legal.

Golden Girls February 21st, 2010 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=mikischo;887074]This is so sad.:( I signed the petition[/QUOTE]Anyone else wishing to sign and share [url]http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/out-law-gas-chambers-in-quebec-and-throughout-canada-rendre-illgales-les-chambres-a-gaz-au-qubec[/url]

t.pettet February 21st, 2010 07:53 PM

Help Stop

Signed and sent on, thanks.

HelenNutmeg February 21st, 2010 09:32 PM

Just In Ontario.. Pounds & Shelters
[URL="http://www.pawswithheart.com/Ontario%20Pounds%20and%20Shelters.htm"]http://www.pawswithheart.com/Ontario%20Pounds%20and%20Shelters.htm[/URL]

You have to think every municipality has or needs one of them..

Twocents February 22nd, 2010 10:57 PM

-
Thank you for posting this. I was wrong to think this had already been outlawed as inhumane.

[QUOTE=Golden Girls;887510]Anyone else wishing to sign and share [url]http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/out-law-gas-chambers-in-quebec-and-throughout-canada-rendre-illgales-les-chambres-a-gaz-au-qubec[/url][/QUOTE]

Signed and shared.

Karen Maxwell July 22nd, 2010 11:47 AM

Why aren't we all standing to change gassing laws in ontario

IT IS TIME FOR US TO STAND UP AND CHANGE ANIMAL LAWS. IT IS ALL JUST ABOUT MONEY. I have recently discovered that not only is gassing at pounds in Ontario (barbaric) still legally carried out, but some pet owners seek out this method because it is cheap. In other words, they neither can afford to have the animal nor really care about what it endures. This is love?? I have a neighbour with 4 huskeys in a 2 bedroom house for intance, who when one dog had a huge and lingering open sore on his leg, commented "I can't afford to take all these dogs to a vet every time you know!" He chose to have the dog put down by gassing, commenting how good he way since he bought the dog a cheeseburger on the way to the chamber. These dogs have never ever been walked and stay in a pen 24 hours a day unless they are in the house when the people go out. Consequently they bark at any movement passing by. Pent up energy. They are let in the yard now and then. This is the kind of people gassing attracts as well as City pound officials who the city will not spend money training to give humane injections to animals - rather than the "gas chamber". Changing the name from Dog Catcher to Animal Control is just a coporate jargon method to lead people to believe that kindness in included in the job somehow. :(

NoahGrey July 22nd, 2010 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=Karen Maxwell;939087]Changing the name from Dog Catcher to Animal Control is just a coporate jargon method to lead people to believe that kindness in included in the job somehow. :([/QUOTE]

Um, I am a Former animal protection officer that worked for a humane society. I went back to school to study wildlife conservation. I agree that gas chambers are cruel and inhumane. Our Humane Society does not use them.

To say that people who work in the animal control department are unkind is absurd and you need to get your facts stright. While yes there are some bad animal control departments (shelters) out there, you can't lump them all into one catergory. The majority of people who work in animal control, work in the field because they have a love for animals and their welfare.

we rescue strays, enforce animal-related bylaws, work with wildlife rehabiliations centers, deal with animal cruelty cases, etc. Also, so is it ok for a healthly sound/temperment animal to be put down if it is an injection? I don't think so. Infact our shelter does not euth for cage space/healthy animals. While gas chambers are inhumane and cruel, so are putting down healthy sound animals with injection...which is the majority of animals in shelters across the nation being put down. How about try focusing your attention on putting a stop to killing for cage space (healthy animals) whether it be gas or injection.

I really resent your comment and you need to be educated on the profession of Animal Control.

BenMax July 22nd, 2010 03:04 PM

Noah Grey - do not take offense as everyone knows that not all animal controls are the same.

Here in Quebec, if you use the word 'animal control' it has a horrible meaning. I do know some excellent animal controls in Ontario that run exactly like no kill shelters. I only learnt this 3 years ago.

Excuse some of our ignorances. It is through knowing people like you that we learn more and become educated.:thumbs up

HelenNutmeg August 2nd, 2010 06:19 PM

Anyone made any headway with a list.. or at least names of ones that are using them ?