Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Still searching for a perfect dog (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79176)

TanjaBelieve October 27th, 2011 04:20 AM

Still searching for a perfect dog

Still havent found a dog. :((

I recently got a great job, but I will be travelling a lot and because I will be away from home, family and friends i am planning to adopt a dog to be on a road with me.

I have a hard time finding a dog that will be perfect for me, so thats why im asking so many questions. :)

[B]What im looking for in a dog is:[/B]- being able to move from place to place ( like 2 countries in a month )
- possibly big
- an athletic dog that love to play and be active, friendly to other animals

And another thing that I would like to know - [I]are there any limits on how far can dogs travel? And where do they travel? Are they with you or in a cage? Thats the first thing I should check before I start searching for a companion[/I].

Thank you all and I hope soon I find a new BFF.

Melinda October 27th, 2011 06:00 AM

in order to have your dog in the airline/(some trains) with you, you're better off getting a small dog so he/she does not have to be caged with the luggage.

Marty11 October 27th, 2011 07:23 AM

Hmmmmm looking for the perfect dog!!!! Good Luck :thumbs up
What about a Dobie?

ownedbycats October 27th, 2011 07:43 AM

If you are doing the driving and taking the dog in a car or van, you can get harnesses that hook through a fastened seatbelt. They let your dog sit up and lie down, but keep her or him from flyying out the window in case of an accident or just because they saw a cat or squirrel.

Longblades October 27th, 2011 08:11 AM

TWo countries in a month? Will it be back and forth between two countries or is the number of countries higher? I wonder if this is the right time for a dog at all.

Some concerns you didn't mention:

Vaccination requirements in every country involved.

Quarantine rules.

Licensing rules.

Some dogs travel well, in a car, some don't. I don't see how you can possibly know this till after the fact. Unless you will get an adult dog and the seller is honest. Will it be car travel or airline as asked above?

If you get a puppy I think it would be quite difficult to properly raise a pup when you are starting a new job. You'd have to find new places or people to help you with letting the wee thing out to potty and exercise while you are away. Also consider trainging classes. Unless your new job itself involves driving and pup can go with? Still, would dog/pup have to wait in the car for long periods of time?

Sorry, it really, really doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me.

marko October 27th, 2011 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1027691]TWo countries in a month? Will it be back and forth between two countries or is the number of countries higher? I wonder if this is the right time for a dog at all.

Quarantine rules.

Licensing rules.

Some dogs travel well, in a car, some don't. I don't see how you can possibly know this till after the fact. Unless you will get an adult dog and the seller is honest. Will it be car travel or airline as asked above?

If you get a puppy I think it would be quite difficult to properly raise a pup when you are starting a new job. You'd have to find new places or people to help you with letting the wee thing out to potty and exercise while you are away. Also consider trainging classes. Unless your new job itself involves driving and pup can go with? Still, would dog/pup have to wait in the car for long periods of time?

Sorry, it really, really doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me.[/QUOTE]

[B]Longblades echoes my concerns here bigtime! Especially those of Quarantine.[/B]

Traveling to certain countries will require MANDATORY quarantine.
and one of the harshest is the UK, where there is a mandatory 6 month quarantine on ALL incoming animals because they are hypervigilant about rabies. There is no rabies in the UK and they [B]do not [/B]accept proof of a rabies shot in lieu of the mandatory quarantine AFAIK.
In japan the mandatory quarantine is 14 days.

I would SERIOUSLY be looking into all the countries I will be traveling to to make sure what all the requirements are. This may be a big can of worms for you depending on the countries that you will be regularly traveling to. It will also likely INCREASE your wait times and required paperwork in almost every International airport that you go to. Intense research is required on your part for this...

Good luck.

Dog Dancer October 27th, 2011 03:30 PM

I have to agree that this doesn't sound like the ideal situation for any dog really. You have a TON of research to do with each Country you will need to travel to. If you were to get a dog for travel, I'd get a smaller one, but truthfully I would rather hear you decided to wait until you are more settled in one spot.

renegaderuby October 27th, 2011 06:30 PM

I apologise if this come across as rude. But I think it would be a better idea to research "travel" , "living arrangements" , vaccinations & vet care" ECT ECT ECT>..BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER , "shopping" for a dog. So to say, still havent found a dog? Maybe you meant , still havent GOT a dog, because I'm still RESEARCHING everything. And we are misunderstanding you a tad bit???

Choochi October 27th, 2011 07:44 PM

Yeah never mind a breed, just do your research if it even makes sense to get a dog. You need to find out about all the particular regulations for all the countries you plan on going to, local vetting, housing, etc. Travel wise only very small dogs are allowed in cabin on flights, any thing bigger then 15lbs or so will have to fly cargo.

And I don't think necessarily getting a high energy dog is a good match if the dog will be traveling this much.

TanjaBelieve October 28th, 2011 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1027691]TWo countries in a month? Will it be back and forth between two countries or is the number of countries higher? I wonder if this is the right time for a dog at all.

Quarantine rules.

Licensing rules.

Sorry, it really, really doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me.[/QUOTE]

1. I will have people helping me and its not really a tough job, its basically travelling around and being only 2hrs a day (the dog would not be alone) in an office. Its very free and fun job, so I will have plenty of time for a dog.

2. Its a lot of travelling, but like I said its a GREAT job, a DREAM job and sometimes you fly in a private plane (still cant believe in so lucky), but people are very nice and free minded (not sure if its the right word), so its not a problem having a puppy.

Dog Dancer October 28th, 2011 04:23 PM

Sounds like a great job, but if you have it in your mind that having a puppy while doing that kind of travel will be really easy you are in for a rude surprise! Young dogs require tons of attention, work, exercise, training, you name it. What happens when said puppy wakes from a nap on the private plane and you can't just take it outside to do business as you potty train? What if you're in a hotel somewhere and it's potty time? Will you be able to focus on a positive reinforcement training program somewhere for eight weeks straight while travelling?? We're not saying you can't ever have a pet, just that you have to really really consider if it's fair to have one when you're on the road as much as you say you will be. My dog is was with me 24 hours a day even when I was at work and as a senior dog she required a lot of attention. Not every job environment is suited to that. We would hate to see you get a dog and then realize that travelling with it and quarantines and such is just too much work and you need to rehome it. It would be too sad for the dog and for you. If you are determined please think small, travel will be much easier.

Dekka October 28th, 2011 04:53 PM

Smaller dog would fit better. Large dogs are often not welcome renting and at some hotels. Also if you need to fly, the larger the dog the harder it is.

As for travelling, the right dog will handle it in stride.

I would look at smaller confident out going athletic little dogs. The joy of adopting an adult is you will have an idea if the dog has the right temperament to deal with your life style. I had a JRT who would have killed to be your dog ;)

As for quarantine. You can go to the UK sans quarantine if you meet their requirements and are coming from an EU or approved (which is most first world nations and then some). There are a few places you can't go with out quarantine. Iceland, Australia and Hawaii I believe.

TanjaBelieve October 28th, 2011 04:57 PM

What are some good small athletic dogs that are not all cudly cudly, but like to run and be active? Like little thugs haha

Dekka October 28th, 2011 04:59 PM

Most terriers, though some are not dog and small animal friendly. Now you say you are in Slovenia, is that where you will be getting your dog?

TanjaBelieve November 2nd, 2011 05:07 AM

[QUOTE=Dekka;1027824]Most terriers, though some are not dog and small animal friendly. Now you say you are in Slovenia, is that where you will be getting your dog?[/QUOTE]

I dont know yet, Im open to adopt a dog from everywhere.

luckypenny November 2nd, 2011 11:34 AM

Zdravo Tanja :).

Please research all the requirements for traveling with a dog in the countries you'll be going to and check with the plane companies/pilots as well (many small private planes won't accept large dogs). I would also recommend you have someone at home who would be willing and is capable of caring for your dog in case he/she can not travel with you to certain destinations.

Once you're 100% sure this is something you can do without running into problems, you may want to visit Zavetišča Horjul and they should help guide you in choosing a puppy/dog that will best suit your lifestyle. Veliko sreče. [url]http://www.zavetisce-horjul.net/index.php[/url]

Monkey68 November 4th, 2011 10:33 AM

What is perfection

Congratulations on the job -sound wonderful! Definitely a smaller dog (non short nosed - problems with heat and possibly flying) sounds most suitable for your situation. Apart from looking into vaccination requirements and quarantines you may want to consider the various temperaments of dogs in general. Not all dogs like to travel, not all dogs react well to being crated and some may be loud and/or destructive. Toilet training takes time and consistency. Where will you be leaving your pup when you are not with him/her? WE went on a short road trip with our dog and while it was enjoyable many activities were curtailed.No restaurants, not many stores, no theatre, no movies ormuseums etc....A lot of restrictions when trying to enjoy a new country. Unfortunately the world is not always such a dog friendly place, even outdoor beaches have their own restrictions. Lots of research for you, best of luck.

mattphill November 11th, 2011 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=TanjaBelieve;1027679]Still havent found a dog. :((

I recently got a great job, but I will be travelling a lot and because I will be away from home, family and friends i am planning to adopt a dog to be on a road with me.

I have a hard time finding a dog that will be perfect for me, so thats why im asking so many questions. :)

[B]What im looking for in a dog is:[/B]- being able to move from place to place ( like 2 countries in a month )
- possibly big

And another thing that I would like to know - [I]are there any limits on how far can dogs travel? And where do they travel? Are they with you or in a cage? Thats the first thing I should check before I start searching for a companion[/I].

Thank you all and I hope soon I find a new BFF.[/QUOTE]

if you want a dog that is very loyal,doesn`t care where he goes as long as he or she is by your side,loves the outdoors and if you travel alone offer the best protection,i suggest the chesapeake bay retriever,just remember they need daily exercise and a strong leader,good luck.

067734m April 26th, 2012 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=TanjaBelieve;1027679]Still havent found a dog. :((

- possibly big

Thank you all and I hope soon I find a new BFF.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you could choose almost any breed of mid-sized dog, or small dog: Our 55lbs beagle walkerhound curls into a tiny ball and loves taking day-long car trips with us - we are constantly traveling in our car all over the US and between the US and Canada (you need to be up to date on rabies shots)... Your "perfect dog" will depend some on pedigree and also on how much you put into the dog through training (incl exercise), time and love.

I think it may be a good idea to keep an open mind when looking for "the perfect dog". At the same time, you may want to get a more clear definition of what you want your life to be like: Are you going to enjoy spending hours exercising your dog? Potty-training a puppy? Will you be okay with vacuuming up hair? Constant grooming? Barker vs non-barker? Some reflection on this may help direct you to certain breeds. Some traits and personalities come with the breeds, sometimes they don't.

It's also a good idea to know what you can take and what's too much for you. We adopted our hound from a local shelter. She'd been bounced around from families to shelters her whole life. The last family returned her because she kept escaping out of their yard - that was a deal breaker for them. What's the deal breaker for you?

My husband and I are Canadians living in the south/mid-west US. We see a LOT of stray dogs down here and a LOT of great family dogs in shelters. (SO much more than back in Ontario). It seems like a real problem here, so it upsets me to hear of families giving up perfectly good dogs because they didn't know what they were getting into. A dog isn't supposed to make your life easier (they're a lot of work), they're supposed to enrich it. It sounds like this is what you're looking for so good luck! :thumbs up