Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   What benefits to wet food for dogs ? Also - DELI FRESH question. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49306)

Kashi February 8th, 2008 04:00 PM

What benefits to wet food for dogs ? Also - DELI FRESH question.

Okay - so it seems that cats significantly benefit from the extra moisture that tinned food provides for them.

But what about dogs ? Do they need the extra moisture as well ?

At the pet store today and noticed a 'log' food for dogs there called "Deli Fresh" that was in the fridge. Says "gently cooked" and has quite a short list of ingredients to it. Also says that it is a "PAN" diet.

Variety 1 :
[QUOTE] Fresh chicken, liver, fresh carrots, peas, rice bran, chicken broth, brewers rice, carrageenan, dried egg product, salt, dried kelp, flaxseed oil, garlic, taurine.
Choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement.
Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.[/QUOTE]

Variety 2 :
[QUOTE]Fresh turkey, liver, fresh carrots, peas, rice bran, turkey broth, brewers rice, carrageenan, dried egg product, salt, dried kelp, flaxseed oil, garlic, taurine.
Choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement.
Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.[/QUOTE]

Kashi February 11th, 2008 09:51 PM

:confused:

clm February 11th, 2008 10:13 PM

Sorry, I've never tried either variety. The ingredients look ok, I'm not sure that that much liver is good. Organ meats are good but not as a steady diet.

I do think that dogs benefit from wet food as well. Either from moistening their kibble or mixing the dry with canned. I mix dry and canned for my guys.

Cindy

GSDog February 11th, 2008 10:21 PM

I mix like about 2 big tablespoons of wet into the dry food and mix it...cause if i dont the little bugger doesnt want to eat..i dont see the hard in mixing both together...but i wouldnt want to just give wet food...most dogs gets diarrhea especially the big breeds...

want4rain February 12th, 2008 09:16 AM

while i feed raw/homemade, i dont see any real benefit in feeding your regular Joe dog wet food. dogs have a fairly high thirst drive. there are several health conditions that need extra moisture.

frankly, dogs are so easy to home feed, especially to supplement another kibble, i feel its a little silly to shell out that kind of money for wet food that still comes in a can with all of its preservatives. :)

if you want to feed him some wet food, feed him what you do but in different portions. make sure you under cook his meat, feed him 3/5th(ie more than half) meat, the other half-ish split between cooked veggies, fruit and dairy. skip the grains... they dont need them. do not feed raisins and onions. try to include veggies/foods with a high calcium content like spinach, kale, dairy products.

-ashley