Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Car sick puppy (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50822)

brypam March 25th, 2008 02:31 PM

Car sick puppy

Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what to use for my 5 mos old Jack Russell pup. He foams at the mouth and gets sick in the car. I feel so bad for him but he needs to travel with us every weekend to go to our cottage.I've already tried gravol, it does'nt seem to help at all. Do you think he will grow out of it... Thanks ..Brypam

aslan March 25th, 2008 02:50 PM

Don't feed him any dogfood before you drive and give him a gingersnap, it should help settle his tummy.

lm9012 March 25th, 2008 05:14 PM

I had a foster dog like that! Whether the drive was 10 minutes or 50 minutes. She got sick and would foam at the mouth. Best bet is to not feed him, and keep a blanket (or even better a large, cut open plastic garbage bag) under him to make clean up easier of whatever mess he makes!
I'm not sure about meds for that kind of thing. But if he doesn't eat, he may just throw up a little fluid. That's about it.

Good luck!

aslan March 25th, 2008 05:38 PM

I don't know if puppy car sick is like people carsick, but you can get these plastic strips that go on your back bumper that hang down towards the road. What makes you sick is your picking up the electricity off the road. the strips help prevent that, but really gingersnaps do work.

Kristin7 March 25th, 2008 07:04 PM

For long trips, I give my dog acepromazine ('Ace'). It works for him (unlike gravol), he just sleeps the whole way. other tricks are to try and desensitize your dog by taking very short, then increasingly longer trips, first starting out with just sitting in a parked car with your dog. Some dogs are getting sick because they are anxious, not just motion sick, so the strips would not help them. If they are getting sick in the car, though, that can cause anxiety (for us too!) so desensitization can often help some, no matter what. And if your dog is young, he may grow out of it eventually. Mine is now ok for very short trips around town and also usually on the highway, but more than a few blocks of city driving usually he can't do it without throwing up. Most definitely do not feed for about 12 hrs prior to the trip and also take water away for a couple hrs before. I would also stop occasionally to see if the dog has to go to the bathroom. good luck!

TinaMcq March 26th, 2008 04:51 AM

Hi I know what your going through my dog is doing the same thing. When we go out with him I take his food up before I leave for work hours before but gravol works for him I gave it to him 2 hours before we left and he was fine there is a pet store here in Kitchener called globel pet store and they have something there for car sickness and dogs that are afraid of thunderstorms you are to drop it in there water 1 day before you are driving sorry I don't know the name of it but maybe that will help its liquid should be four different ones one for car sickness one for thunderstorms and two for anxeity. Have you tried the gravol a few hours before the trip my dog weighs 30lbs and my vet said to give a whole gravol. Is it adult or child that you used? I gave an adult. I don't know good luck!!!!!