Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Kitten health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Clear and googy discharge from my cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68636)

HimmieMommy February 24th, 2010 12:57 PM

Clear and googy discharge from my cat

My 7 months old himmie excreted clear, thick discharge this morning. I read some of the posts here and it could be an anal glad secretion but I can't be sure since I didn't witness it. The discharge has no smell and he excreted about 2 tablespoon size of it on my bathroom floor about 3 feet from his litterbox. This is the second time he's done it (last time was about 3 weeks ago). He doesn't seem to be in any particular pain or discomfort and his appetite is normal but I'm not sure if this is a normal behavior for a cat. Can someone give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

14+kitties February 24th, 2010 04:25 PM

Is he neutered?

HimmieMommy February 28th, 2010 05:26 PM

yes, he's neutered. It's been a few days since the incident and he isn't licking himself down there as he was previously (didn't realize how often he was doing it until now). I'm inclined to think it was an incident of anal secretion?

bendyfoot February 28th, 2010 05:33 PM

If it was an anal glad excretion, you'd know, it stinks to high heaven.

Love4himies February 28th, 2010 06:45 PM

Do you know if it came from the anus or penis?

growler~GateKeeper March 1st, 2010 02:13 AM

Anal gland secretions are normally yellowish-white may sometimes be a bit brownish, and very very smelly :yuck:. A cats anal sacs are smaller than a pea so it would be extremely odd for two tablespoons to be expelled from them.

HimmieMommy March 1st, 2010 01:04 PM

the secretion didn't have any smell that I could detect. It definitely didn't have any color to it. I didn't see him doing the deed so i can't tell if it came from his penis or anus (to answer Love4himies' question). It wasn't pee. My boy's good about using the litterbox and the consistency was a bit gooey. Could something like that have come from his penis if it's not anal gland secretion? Again, i'm not too worried at this time as he's not acting sick and his appetite is good but he has done this once before so I was curious. I really thought it was anal gland secretion but apparently not from the other members' responses

14+kitties March 1st, 2010 01:24 PM

To me it sounds like ejaculate. But if you are concerned you could phone your vet's office and ask. Two feet! :eek: Impressive!!

Love4himies March 1st, 2010 02:16 PM

This is a mystery. Anal gland secretions are horribly stinky :yuck:, you can't miss the smell.

I would get him examined by the vet to ensure he was properly neutered.

sugarcatmom March 1st, 2010 02:34 PM

Sounds to me like it might be mucus coming out of his anus. The intestines are lined with a mucus membrane and normally produce a certain amount of to help with the passage of stool. Excess mucus can be produced if the intesines are irritated or inflammed. What does your cat normally eat? Any chance he ate something he shouldn't have (like a plant)?

Some more info for you (although it pertains to humans, the concept is similar for cats): [url]http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relatedconditions/f/mucusstool.htm[/url]

Love4himies March 1st, 2010 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;890305]Sounds to me like it might be mucus coming out of his anus. The intestines are lined with a mucus membrane and normally produce a certain amount of to help with the passage of stool. Excess mucus can be produced if the intesines are irritated or inflammed. What does your cat normally eat? Any chance he ate something he shouldn't have (like a plant)?

Some more info for you (although it pertains to humans, the concept is similar for cats): [url]http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relatedconditions/f/mucusstool.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing too when I first read (hence my question of where it was coming from), but 2 tablespoons is a lot for a cat, and it is not usually clear, more like the colour of the mucous from your sinuses when you have a cold.

HimmieMommy March 3rd, 2010 10:51 AM

If it were mucus, would it cause him to lick himself in the genital region excessively? Again, I don't know what's considered excessive (Rosco's my first cat and I've only had him for 3+ months) but prior to his excretion, he used to lick himself down there every evening. I just assumed it was part of his grooming ritual. I work during the day so I don't know how often he licks while I'm not there. And he hasn't been licking down there since until yesterday (saw him do it once) which is why i'm starting to get nervous again.

Again, he seems fine-- active and appetite is good. He eats raw food-- I alternate between chicken, rabbit and goat meat. He was on goat meat when the incident occurred. I don't recall what meat he was eating the first time he excreted (about a month ago?)

HimmieMommy March 3rd, 2010 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;890274]To me it sounds like ejaculate. But if you are concerned you could phone your vet's office and ask. Two feet! :eek: Impressive!![/QUOTE]
I googled neutered cat ejaculation and I think 14+kitties might be right! From what I've read, neutered cat can become excited and can ejaculate. Per answers.yahoo.com, the substance is released to aid sperm in its path down the penis and is clear. It didn't mention the consistency or the smell, but this seems to fit w what I saw (clear liquid w no odor and heavier-than-water consistency). I guess a 7 mo old kitten can ejaculate that young and that much "excitement"?

14+kitties March 3rd, 2010 06:05 PM

I would still phone your vet to be on the safe side. :thumbs up

sugarcatmom March 3rd, 2010 06:07 PM

I agree with 14+ about the vet thing. 2 tbsp of ejaculate would be a lot for a human, nevermind a cat!! :eek: