Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog Vomitting Mucus (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67684)

edurham January 2nd, 2010 07:37 PM

Dog Vomitting Mucus

For the past two weeks My German Shepherd dog is constantly being sick during the night.
Over this period, as our other two dogs, she drank ice cold water and ate fallen snow.
The contents appear to be a thick mucus substance with no trace of any food.
During she wakes us up about 4 - 5 times to let her in our back garden when she is either being sick or retching.
She appears to be generally happy, eating normally with perhaps a reduced appetite and drinks a usual amount of water, for her.
Her stools are well formed with no trace of diarrhoea and passes urine regularly.
We have been advised to starve her for 24 hours only giving her cooled boiled water and monitor after this period for any improvements.
Could her sickness be a cause of her catching a cold of some kind in the stomach?
Could you please advise?

edurham January 2nd, 2010 07:44 PM

Dog Vomitting Mucus

Any responses would be gratfully appreciated

bendyfoot January 2nd, 2010 07:57 PM

How old is your shepherd? Any chance she ate something unusual (i.e. not her normal doggy diet) Sheps are pretty notorious for having "Shepherd Stomach"...they can easily get upset tummies, be prone to vomitting and diarrhea, or have poor appetites... A 24 hour fast is a good idea...make sure lots of clean water is available and no food at all. Then give a small, light meal to break the fast and see how she does.

Marcha January 2nd, 2010 08:48 PM

How long before bed does the dog get its last meal of the day? Does the dog get two meals per day or one? Empty tummies at night can cause vomiting because there is an overproduction of bile, but nothing to digest.
You say it's lots of mucous... is it also a sick colour of yellow? If so, that would indicate bile.

echoica January 2nd, 2010 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=Marcha;868493]How long before bed does the dog get its last meal of the day? Does the dog get two meals per day or one? Empty tummies at night can cause vomiting because there is an overproduction of bile, but nothing to digest.
You say it's lots of mucous... is it also a sick colour of yellow? If so, that would indicate bile.[/QUOTE]

i second this thought. my casey has a similar problem which is resolved by giving him some food or treats before bed...

edurham January 3rd, 2010 04:32 AM

Dog Vomitting Mucus

:angel2:
In about another 4 hours I would have starved Amber for 24hours.
After this period I intend feeding her a little boiled chicken and rice and repeating this in the evening before going to bed.
I have also been advised that she could be sleeping on top of a central heating pipe run which is under the floor boards.
Any response would be appreciated

Marcha January 3rd, 2010 01:05 PM

There isn't much science to back up the central heating pipe theory, but you could of course see what happens if you put her in a different place. However, what kind of central heating do you have? Hot water radiators, forced air? If Amber needs to vomit again if she's had something to eat before bed, could you see if the heater has kicked in?

Let us know how it goes though, if you feed her something before bed? It made all the difference for our Bodhi when we made sure she had something to eat in the evening.

the gang January 3rd, 2010 01:13 PM

she could be hungry at night try a little extra at supper time, i had to do this for my diabect dog, you can also give her pepto to help settle her tummy, good luck brenda and the pins.

rainbow January 3rd, 2010 05:17 PM

[B]edurham,[/B] just out of curiousity, what are you feeding her?