Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Quad toy - wasted money? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48562)

dmc123 January 17th, 2008 07:22 PM

New Quad toy - wasted money?

3 Attachment(s)
LOL, we ordered what we thought would be a great toy for the Quads. A big kitty tree/condo - but they seem quite disinterested.

It arrived yesterday, and Diana and I were sure they would be all over it. Not!

Harley likes it the most. Maybe it is too new? Maybe to big?

Here's some photos - the shots with the quads on it were taken after putting them up on it. Harley is the only one who seems to like it so far. I guess time will tell.

Diane

pic#1 & 2 - real interested in it when I was putting it together
pic#3 assembled photo

dmc123 January 17th, 2008 07:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
pic#4 - Harley and Katie checking it out (had to put Katie on it)
pic#5 - Harley enjoying the little bell enclosure
pic#6 - Fergie taking a look

dmc123 January 17th, 2008 07:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
#7 - top to bottom, Stanley, Fergie and Katie taking a test drive
#8 - Stanley, top, Katie - middle, and Andy lowest

Winston January 17th, 2008 07:28 PM

Put some catnip on it and they may learn to like it....if you have a window to sit it in front of they will like it too!

Nice one I like it!

Kristin7 January 17th, 2008 07:29 PM

wow, that's fantastic! I bet they have issues with the 'new' smell. Try putting catnip all over it, or use a catnip spray... or it might have to just air out a bit. Good luck!

happycats January 17th, 2008 07:39 PM

I agree with the catnip idea, that should do it!
It's really nice, I love it!

dmc123 January 17th, 2008 07:46 PM

to all who suggested catnip, I have thought of that. But Cody, my elder 16 1/2 yr old cat gets really aggressive with catnip. He smacks all who come around. On the other side of that idea, he can only climb to the lowest level. Maybe we'll try it.

In the meantime, I climbed on it to show them how fun it was, LOL LOL.

Diane

rainbow January 17th, 2008 07:48 PM

I love it too. :thumbs up Yep, the catnip is a great idea and it won't be long before they all want to be the one that gets the highest spot. :D

Kristin7 January 17th, 2008 07:58 PM

too funny that you climbed on it!! :laughing: any pics of that?

Kristin7 January 17th, 2008 08:03 PM

another idea would be to vacuum with a HEPA filtered vacuum or rub something the cats like to lay on all over it, to get their smell on the tree. Could be too that the 'new carpet' chemical smell turns them off. Their noses, though not as sensitive as a dogs, are much more so than ours, so the stuff used to put the tree together is made up of glues and whatnot, probably has an odor to it. In time that will dissipate. You can also try taunting them with toys, though I see the fancy tree has some built in. Very cool! If I were a cat, I'd be all over this tree!

dmc123 January 17th, 2008 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=Kristin7;532694]another idea would be to vacuum with a HEPA filtered vacuum or rub something the cats like to lay on all over it, to get their smell on the tree. Could be too that the 'new carpet' chemical smell turns them off. Their noses, though not as sensitive as a dogs, are much more so than ours, so the stuff used to put the tree together is made up of glues and whatnot, probably has an odor to it. In time that will dissipate. You can also try taunting them with toys, though I see the fancy tree has some built in. Very cool! If I were a cat, I'd be all over this tree![/QUOTE]

great ideas!

Thanks,
Diane

ancientgirl January 17th, 2008 08:10 PM

Wow, that's a nice one! Mine isn't nearly that nice, but I have all of my kitty condos and the like right in front of the sliding window. I don't have a balcony to go out on so it's almost never opened. They have a great view of the world.

Maybe if you put some treats on it they will be more interested.

dmc123 January 17th, 2008 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=Kristin7;532691]too funny that you climbed on it!! :laughing: any pics of that?[/QUOTE]

Not yet, roomie laughed at that suggestion....maybe I will.

Diane

dmc123 January 17th, 2008 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Kristin7;532691]too funny that you climbed on it!! :laughing: any pics of that?[/QUOTE]

here's a later shot of the same thing, me climbing on it....lol

Harley is on the upper shelf, Andy is at the bottom. That is me the human, lol.

Diane

Frenchy January 17th, 2008 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=dmc123;532682] But Cody, my elder 16 1/2 yr old cat gets really aggressive with catnip. He smacks all who come around. [/QUOTE]

oh ho , I think Cody needs an "intervention" :laughing:

Love the new cat tree ! I'm sure they will get use to it pretty soon and will be all over it. :thumbs up

14+kitties January 17th, 2008 10:03 PM

Beautiful kitties!! Beautiful tree! I could use about 4 of those things! :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper January 18th, 2008 01:57 AM

Looks great :thumbs up

won't be long before they're all fighting over the hammock :cloud9: in the middle - definately will need kitty in hammock :cloud9: pics :D

dmc123 January 18th, 2008 06:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few new ones from today, they are liking it some better :) Harley is quite dominating on this thing, she runs them off from time to time LOL

The Quads are 9 months old today, for those who keep track of such things.

Diane

#1 Harley on top, the Quads and Huxley watching
#2 same, but the Quads were tired of watching
#3 Simon checking out their new "toy"

dmc123 January 18th, 2008 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
#4 Andy at the top, others watching
#5 Andy and Harley on the tree, Katie and Fergie looking on

14+kitties January 18th, 2008 07:28 PM

I love that one with Harley on the tree and the rest watching. You need to frame that one! :cloud9:

Kristin7 January 18th, 2008 08:02 PM

The pics are great, they are totally interested in the tree. And love the one w/ you climbing on it!! :D

ancientgirl January 18th, 2008 08:23 PM

Harley looks VERY comfortable there. That bell enclosure is really cool. Where did you get that condo btw?

dmc123 January 18th, 2008 08:57 PM

Ancientgirl, here's the site I found the tree,

[url]http://www.stepsforpets.com/[/url]

Diane

ancientgirl January 18th, 2008 09:09 PM

Thanks! Those are great prices too. They're actually less expensive and look nicer than the ones I see at the pet stores.

dmc123 January 18th, 2008 09:13 PM

ancientgirl,

You are welcome for the link, I check out a bunch before buying from them. Great site to deal with. They have a donation site, after you buy from them, to donate a small portion to an animal rescue/adoption facility. I found that out after I bought the tree, thought that was really cool.

Diane

Frenchy January 18th, 2008 09:20 PM

I love the one with Simon trying to get on the cat tree :laughing:

I knew they would get use to it , I mean look at it ! It's too cool ! :thumbs up

Spoiled little kitties :cat: :cloud9:

ancientgirl January 18th, 2008 09:20 PM

I noticed that. I like that they donate to rescue organizations.

I've been looking at some of the condo's and there are a couple I really like. I may have to upgrade my present one to one of these. I like that they are big enough for the adult kitties. Vlad is getting big and he no longer fits on my present condo, and Maks probably won't fit up there for much longer either. Your's looks like a good size.

growler~GateKeeper January 19th, 2008 01:01 AM

[quote]#1 Harley on top, the Quads and Huxley watching[/quote]

That pic is HILARIOUS :laughing: like they are all expecting him to throw them down some tasty treats :laughing:

pbpatti January 19th, 2008 01:10 AM

I love the looking up and seeing ok if he/she can do that maybe I can too, that looks like a most comfortable spot for you're kitties. pbp

dmc123 January 22nd, 2008 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a pic from tonight, they are liking it more and more :) Yippee!!!

Diane