Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat behavior forum - cat training (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How to have a Christmas tree with a devil-cat that destroys...everything??? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72901)

Chaser October 4th, 2010 03:27 PM

How to have a Christmas tree with a devil-cat that destroys...everything???

Hi All!

Geez, I go off and get married and come back to a totally different site....:confused: Anyway, I will post a thread with wedding pics later on when I get home.

I'm already getting the holiday decorating itch...probably because we've never had a nice, large space like we do now. Never had the room for a tree before so it was a non-issue, but this year I desperately want to put up a tree for the first time. My concern is Rupert....

He is super smart and sneaky. Loves to climb. Is fat. Well, not literaly, but he is a big cat! He's also about as graceful as an elephant. And he noms everything in sight as if he's a dog!

How on earth can I safely put a tree up with him around??? Our house is totally open concept, so closing off a room is impossible. No idea how to pull this off. Even if I don't put up breakable ornaments, I'm still worried about him nomming the light wires or pulling the whole thing over on himself while he's doing acrobatics in the top branches.

Any advice??? He's not understimulated....has tonnes of toys that he plays with all the time, both on his own and with me.

:frustrated: It seems like a big risk, but I won't spend the next 15+ years not having a tree because of him! How do others with crazy cats manage this?

BenMax October 4th, 2010 03:45 PM

Chaser - first congrats.

As to your X-mas tree situation...well I no longer have one.:laughing:. I could not figure a way to string it up to stay up when the cats and dogs decided to climb it....

Dog Dancer October 4th, 2010 04:57 PM

Congrats on the wedding.

As for your tree issue, well it can be done. I have had a tree come down on child and dog (and all but the tree survived). Plastic ornaments are a must, and no tinsel at all. I used beads. (We had two cats and two dogs and one non-fur kid.) We would tie one or two ropes high in the tree and anchor those ropes to the walls so that the tree would not fall. There is probably no real way to stop the cat from eating electric lights, so you may even have to forgo those for a couple years to see how he does. He may have no interest at all. My cats did well, they loved the ornaments, but never damaged the lights or tree itself. I'm guessing that you could probably buy a spray to discourage the cat, but not sure what it would be. Good luck with it whatever you decide.

luckypenny October 4th, 2010 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome back Chaser! Looking forward to your wedding photos :goodvibes:.

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;956799] I'm guessing that you could probably buy a spray to discourage the cat, but not sure what it would be. [/QUOTE]

Something like Scat might help :shrug:? You'd have to place a few strategically around the tree though depending on how large it will be.

hazelrunpack October 4th, 2010 07:42 PM

I have a friend who anchors the tree to the wall using two small hooks and some monofilament. You have to be very careful when taking down the monofilament and dispose of it properly.

Also, I've found wooden hand-painted ornaments to be pretty durable. I bought some kits and painted my own using non-toxic craft paints. The flat ones seem to hold less interest for the dogs...not sure if cats would feel the same.

Chaser October 4th, 2010 08:34 PM

Thank you for the ideas! Scat spray might do the trick...

Not worried about the dogs at all...other than accounting for their tail wagging, their behaviour around Christmas trees is 100%. But Rupert...well...he'll be good for a month or so and then he's swinging from the rafters again, so to speak. :wall:

lindapalm October 4th, 2010 11:26 PM

Years ago I came home to find my tree laying down, since then I screw an eye hook into the wall, wrap fishing line around the top part of the tree, and tie it to the hook. Last year one of my cats was two thirds of the way up the tree taking a nap, and it stayed in place well. As for the ornaments, I give up, I just buy a lot of extras of the breakable ones. You could glue them to the tree and cats will still find a way to get them off and swat them under furniture.

kittygirl October 12th, 2010 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We have accepted that King IS part of the Christmas tree. I take off anything of value and let him go at it. He sleeps in it - hides in it - plays with it. My philosophy - just don't fight it. Anyway, we get to reassemble it whenever he is 'done'.

[ATTACH]69738[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69739[/ATTACH]

ancientgirl October 12th, 2010 11:26 AM

I haven't had a tree since I got my gang. There's just no way I can put one up without having to come home to a total mess. Tree down, ornaments all over. So, I just put other things up. Lights, I decorate a bookcase with some fake foliage and hang stuff on the walls. It's better than me worrying all day about what's happening at home, and heaven forbid if one of them swallowed something!

Good luck though. Maybe Rupert will show no interest in it.:D

14+kitties October 12th, 2010 11:44 AM

What I do is to attach the tree to the wall in a couple of places by a long piece of wire and a couple of strong screws; usually about a foot or so from the top then about half way down. I use unbreakable ornaments which are available all over now and the lights are only plugged in when I am there to watch the "action". Now remember I usually have no less than six or seven in the tree at any given point. They have a ball climbing the tree and finding a nice comfy spot to sleep for a while. I figure it's only for a couple of weeks. I can sacrifice a little for them. :thumbs up

happycats October 12th, 2010 12:03 PM

I could never not have a christmas tree!!
When I had 6 cats, I used unbreakable ornaments, and tied the tree to the walls (I put the tree in a cornor) with fishing line. I also tied (not hang) the ornaments on (wrap those hooks good and tight around eash branch)
no tinsel, and lights only on while someone was home.
Also black pepper or ceyenne pepper all over the tree skirt :)
also applying some real minty toothpaste to the base of the tree itself helps to stop the climbing.

pamha August 20th, 2013 10:54 AM

I know this is old, but haven`t been here in awhile & wanted to share what we decorated with last year. Our tree goes in a corner, with a recliner on another side, so it`s really only open on one side, and so far haven`t needed to anchor it. My daughter has a large collection of "stuffies" mostly beanie baby sized animals. Enough to really cover the tree on all the parts that are visible. It looked really nice! Every morning, we`d pick up whichever ones were knocked off during the night & no worries about breakage :thumbs up