Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for pets (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Recipes for natural bug repellent and sooting ointment...? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15492)

Loraxp May 25th, 2005 08:57 AM

Recipes for natural bug repellent and sooting ointment...?

Well, I found this on another site and thought someone might be able to help me figure something out...

Bug dope -
5.5 tsp citronella oil
1 drop liquid soap
4 tsp camphor
4 tbsp mineral oil
0.75 cup ethyl rubbing alcohol

*apply sparingly*

:o Question - what the heck is camphor???????! :o

I still am in need of a soothing ointment recipe (or any other recipie for bug spray). The dog has reacted badly to the bites it has already recieved (mosquito and *black fly*).

Thanks!!

Eleni May 25th, 2005 09:12 AM

Comphor is a herb,

you can buy camphor oil at health food stores I think

I had a lotion with camfor in it that I used on a rash, it felt soooo soothing, it sounds like a good lotion.

Eleni

NutmegHF May 25th, 2005 09:51 AM

You can also get it in drug stores its usually sold as a solid square white block about the size 1" X 1"... under a dollar .. in the colds & flu section.. strong smelling I have put it beside my bed when I have a cold.. camphor liquid I'm not sure.

Nutmeg

Prin May 29th, 2005 12:57 AM

Won't the liquid soap cause itching? Maybe if you over-apply?

belle975 May 30th, 2005 12:00 PM

Smells like..

Vicks! Camphor is a minty/evergreen smelling product. You can buy it in health food stores for sure. I believe it comes in oil. It has some antibacterial and antinflamatory properties if I am not mistaken.

As for soothing recipe..what about something with rosewater or plain old witch hazel?

Both should be ok for your pet.
:thumbs up

raingirl May 31st, 2005 11:26 AM

Camphor is now recognized as being BAD for the body. It stimulates the CNS (central nervous system) and can cause seizures and other body tremors. It's on the EPA hazardouse waste list as well.

[QUOTE]CAMPHOR
Camphor is a colorless or a white crystal granule or cake product obtained from the wood of the camphor tree. It may also be synthetically derived. Some products such as lotions, astringents, and moth repellents still contain camphor as an active ingredient. In 1980, the Food and Drug Administration set a limit of 11% allowable camphor in consumer products and totally banned products labeled as camphorated oil, camphor oil, camphor liniment, and camphorated liniment.
Camphor, readily absorbed through the skin, produces the sensation of warmth and slight local anesthesia. Camphor poisoning produces seizures and may be preceded by mental confusion, irritability, neuromuscular hyperactivity, and jerky movements of the extremities. Camphor poisoning from household products may occur following oral ingestion. Symptoms occur five to ninety minutes following ingestion.
[/QUOTE]

Copper'sMom May 31st, 2005 11:52 AM

I use polysporin for soothing on my dog. He also gets benedryl to relieve itching.

BMDLuver May 31st, 2005 11:55 AM

[B]From another list I belong to:[/B]I make my own spray, and it works well. You can use it on yourself
too. I mix up in water the following: white vinegar, almond oil
and/or glycerine as oil carriers, palmarosa oil, cedarwood essential
oil, lemongrass EO, citronella, and lavender EO. Oh, and I put in a
little tea tree oil. I use a little mister bottle, and add a
tablespoon of the white vinegar, a couple teaspoons of the almond oil,
and 4-5 drops of each of the EOs which are available at the health
food store or most grocery stores carry them now.

db7 June 1st, 2005 10:24 AM

I wouldn't advise using citronella on your dog, dogs hate the aroma of citrus oils.