Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unbelievable! Contaminated food bowls (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81881)

Rgeurts August 14th, 2012 10:23 AM

Unbelievable! Contaminated food bowls

How do you "mistakenly" use radio-active material?! I would normally say that nothing shocks me, especially considering where most pet products come from, but they always seem to find something that does it :yell:

Radioactive Pet Food Bowls Recalled

[url]http://petsupplies.about.com/b/2012/08/12/radioactive-pet-food-bowls-recalled.htm[/url]

Petco is recalling three types of stainless steel pet food bowls after U.S. Customs and Border Protection discovered that some bowls in a storage container headed to a company distribution center were contaminated with Cobalt-60.

Although the container in question was held at the port, the contents of another container from the same foreign supplier did make it to a center, and some of the bowls were sent to stores.

The bowls in question were apparently fabricated with material containing Cobalt-60 and emit a low level of radiation, but testing has shown that it's not enough to pose a health risk.

The Illinois state government tested the bowls and issued the following statement:

"...a person would have to hold one of the bowls against their chest for roughly six and a half days to receive a dose of radiation equivalent to a single chest X-ray."

The affected bowls are:

•SKU 1047493, PETC-3.75C DEEP TWO TONE NOTIP, 9.25" diameter; 3.75 cup capacity
•SKU 1386956, PETC-3.5C NO-TIP SS HAMMRD BWL, 9" diameter; 3.5 cup capacity
•SKU 1047477, PETC-7C TWO TONE NONTIP BOWL, 9" diameter, 7 cup capacity

SKU numbers are printed on the labels inside and on the bottom of the bowls.

The bowls were sold between May 31 and June 20, 2012. If you have one, return it to your local Petco store for a refund. Call Petco Customer Service at 877-738-6742 if you have any questions.

For more information and pictures of the recalled bowls, check the recall page on Petco's website.

I love how they say you would have to hold it to your chest for 6 days to get the same radiation as a chest x-ray, but do not mention what the risk of an animal eating several meals out of it might be. I'm sure it can't be good.

Koteburo August 16th, 2012 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;1044359]
I love how they say you would have to hold it to your chest for 6 days to get the same radiation as a chest x-ray, but do not mention what the risk of an animal eating several meals out of it might be. I'm sure it can't be good.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. It`s meant for them and they`re the ones who would be closer to it and eat from them. I would expect a statement pet related more than human related or both.

Dog Dancer August 16th, 2012 11:13 AM

Yeah, it's mind boggling really. Oops. I honestly don't even know what to say other than I guess I'm glad Halo eats out of our dishes.

Barkingdog August 16th, 2012 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;1044359]How do you "mistakenly" use radio-active material?! I would normally say that nothing shocks me, especially considering where most pet products come from, but they always seem to find something that does it :yell:

Radioactive Pet Food Bowls Recalled

[url]http://petsupplies.about.com/b/2012/08/12/radioactive-pet-food-bowls-recalled.htm[/url]

Petco is recalling three types of stainless steel pet food bowls after U.S. Customs and Border Protection discovered that some bowls in a storage container headed to a company distribution center were contaminated with Cobalt-60.

Although the container in question was held at the port, the contents of another container from the same foreign supplier did make it to a center, and some of the bowls were sent to stores.

The bowls in question were apparently fabricated with material containing Cobalt-60 and emit a low level of radiation, but testing has shown that it's not enough to pose a health risk.

The Illinois state government tested the bowls and issued the following statement:

"...a person would have to hold one of the bowls against their chest for roughly six and a half days to receive a dose of radiation equivalent to a single chest X-ray."

The affected bowls are:

•SKU 1047493, PETC-3.75C DEEP TWO TONE NOTIP, 9.25" diameter; 3.75 cup capacity
•SKU 1386956, PETC-3.5C NO-TIP SS HAMMRD BWL, 9" diameter; 3.5 cup capacity
•SKU 1047477, PETC-7C TWO TONE NONTIP BOWL, 9" diameter, 7 cup capacity

SKU numbers are printed on the labels inside and on the bottom of the bowls.

The bowls were sold between May 31 and June 20, 2012. If you have one, return it to your local Petco store for a refund. Call Petco Customer Service at 877-738-6742 if you have any questions.

For more information and pictures of the recalled bowls, check the recall page on Petco's website.

I love how they say you would have to hold it to your chest for 6 days to get the same radiation as a chest x-ray, but do not mention what the risk of an animal eating several meals out of it might be. I'm sure it can't be good.[/QUOTE]

I brought my dog some plastic bowls from Petco , they attach to his crate. I hope these are OK.