Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Potential Hummer Garden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72181)

Dee-O-Gee August 24th, 2010 08:04 PM

Potential Hummer Garden

3 Attachment(s)
Humph, wasn't sure if this should go in Gardening or Birds???? :shrug:

So this little lonely hummingbird feeder hangs lonely on my clothes line with no flowers but did manage to see 1 or 2 hummers this summer feeding off the feeder.

[ATTACH]68644[/ATTACH]

I plan to move the feeder into this bed although the phlox is almost done blooming now.

[ATTACH]68645[/ATTACH]

Canna Lillies surround the summer phlox....

[ATTACH]68646[/ATTACH]
[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"].
.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Dee-O-Gee August 24th, 2010 08:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Along with (I do believe) Nicotania

[ATTACH]68647[/ATTACH]

And this mystery plant that I can't remember it's name! :wall:

[ATTACH]68648[/ATTACH]

Oh this is a picture of the Phlox in bloom last month.

[ATTACH]68649[/ATTACH]

I figure next year, I'll get one of those bird feeder shepherds hook (like Hazel's :)) and stake it right in the middle of these flowers. I guess it can't be any worse off then seeing only a couple this year but maybe they'll invite their friends next year. :thumbs up

luckypenny August 24th, 2010 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;947024]
And this mystery plant that I can't remember it's name! [/QUOTE]

It looks like Purple Gayfeather to me. I planted some by seed several years ago...they were gorgeous until the dogs trampled them :rolleyes:.

Your flower garden is bright and beautiful, klm. Can't wait to see it next summer filled with hummers and butterflies :goodvibes:.

Tundra_Queen August 24th, 2010 11:32 PM

I was thinking it might be Blazing Star? I had some years ago, they are pretty.

hazelrunpack August 25th, 2010 05:09 PM

I think the hummers are gonna love it, klm! :D

Dee-O-Gee August 28th, 2010 04:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think LP & TQ are both correct. :lightbulb: I found the card and it says it is a Liatris Blazing Star! :lightbulb:

I bought a shepherds hook today. Canadian Tire and Wal-mart have big sales on now with their gardening stuff so the hook was really cheap. I know it's late in the summer but set it up anyway in hopes that I may get a couple stragglers. But, now I have it for next year. :thumbs up

Next year, I would like to get 2 new glass feeders with the red/yellow feeding tubes.

[ATTACH]68757[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68758[/ATTACH]

chico2 August 28th, 2010 04:45 PM

Your garden looks very pretty,I think I am going to get one of those hook-thingis to and stick it in my garden,looks great:thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee August 28th, 2010 05:51 PM

It's hard to see from my kitchen window and wouldn't even know it was there however; it serves a purpose! :thumbs up

I think now would be a good time to get one or any gardening stuff as many stores have nice sales on now. :)

hazelrunpack August 29th, 2010 03:27 PM

I went to some of our local garden shops to see if anyone had any short shepherd's hooks available. No one had any left! :wall: I need some to hang Irish Spring soap from in the well garden next year--it's supposed to keep away the deer who don't like the smell any better than hazel does :laughing:

We have blazing stars blooming out along the town roads, klm. I should keep an eye on them to see if the hummers like them! It would be a plus if they provided a little nectar for your visitors. :thumbs up But regardless, the birds will probably ignore your flowers once they find the bounty of the feeders. :D

Dee-O-Gee August 29th, 2010 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;947960]I went to some of our local garden shops to see if anyone had any short shepherd's hooks available. No one had any left! :wall: I need some to hang Irish Spring soap from in the well garden next year--it's supposed to keep away the deer who don't like the smell any better than hazel does :laughing:

So you need to hang the [COLOR="Red"][I]"It's manly - but I like it too!" [/I][/COLOR]soap? :D Never heard of that before. :shrug:

We have blazing stars blooming out along the town roads, klm. I should keep an eye on them to see if the hummers like them! It would be a plus if they provided a little nectar for your visitors. :thumbs up But regardless, the birds will probably ignore your flowers once they find the bounty of the feeders. :D[/QUOTE]

The store I went to yesterday only had 2 double hooks left. I'm not sure if the hummers will like the gay feather but there are plenty of other trumpet like flowers around the feeder. Haven't seen a hummer nor any orioles in a couple days. I think their gone now. :(

hazelrunpack August 29th, 2010 06:11 PM

Our orioles are still coming in boldly to the nectar and grape jelly. The hummers are beginning to taper off, but they'll be here well past Labor Day again. They're still hanging out in the shrubberies, partaking of the woodland wildflowers, too. :D

And yes, a few people I know tried the "Manly, yes--but I like it, too!" technique and it seemed to help :D I figure if it fails, the garden won't be any worse off than it was this year and all I'll be out is a bar of soap. I hear the Original Scent is the one to get! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee August 29th, 2010 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;947985]Our orioles are still coming in boldly to the nectar and grape jelly. The hummers are beginning to taper off, but they'll be here well past Labor Day again. They're still hanging out in the shrubberies, partaking of the woodland wildflowers, too. :D

And yes, a few people I know tried the "Manly, yes--but I like it, too!" technique and it seemed to help :D I figure if it fails, the garden won't be any worse off than it was this year and all I'll be out is a bar of soap. I hear the Original Scent is the one to get! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Well maybe our Orioles and Todd the hummer left early to make sure they don't have any problems or delays at the border! :D