Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   My Puppy's Skin Issue (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72373)

LittleMushroom September 3rd, 2010 02:52 PM

My Puppy's Skin Issue

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, it is about my puppy…again…ok, here is the story. Last week, he tore one of his dewclaws, we brought him to the vet, they cauterized the wound, bandaged it and also gave him a 10-day worth of antibiotics. Yesterday, we brought him back to the vet, because the wound is still kinda red. And the vet said the best option is to have his dewclaw removed. But it is not infected, yet, (knock on wood), so we want to wait and see. Hopefully it can wait till we get him neutered (he is 14 months) at 2 years old, so they can remove both of his dewclaws the same time.

Now, today, when I was brushing him, I noticed two patches around his elbows, one on elbow each, they look like hot spots, I am not sure. I hate myself for not noticing them yesterday, I could just ask the vet then. So I have been reading some older threads about hot spots and staph infection. What was mentioned in the threads doesn't really apply to his problem, he doesn't scratch it at all and doesn't seem bothered. But as you can see from the pictures, he does have some hair loss at one of the patches. I shaved the other one. He is still on the antibiotics for his dewclaw, I doubt this antibiotic is the one for hot spot or staph infection. I am thinking to buy the Gold Bond powder, but they are not oozing. Instead, they are quite dry and flaky.

Thanks for your patience to make to this far, so my question is, I really don't want to see the vet again for, like the forth time of this month:wall:…(they must love us very much) unless I really have to. What can I do at home? Can I use coconut oil on top and orally both? Do I need to use warm salty water to clean his the problem area a few times a day? Also do I need to give to him oregano oil? And how?? Or could they just be physical wear from sitting on hard wood floor? I highly doubt it though, I don't think we are this lucky, lately nothing is going smoothly. Anyhow, Thank you very much for reading my long story!! I need to make more money for my "annoying" puppy:shrug:

LittleMushroom September 3rd, 2010 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Poor little guy says thank you all for helping him. He is really bored. First the Pano, then the torn nail, now the skin problem. He hasn't had a good walk for a...don't know how long...and I am dying to walk around the city with him too...

mastifflover September 3rd, 2010 03:17 PM

They look like elbow callouses all big dogs get them. Is it sort of hard and rough? The dog is not bothered by them when you touch them? I would get a tin of Bag Balm and rub it on the elbows it will keep them soft so they do not crack. I used this on Bud for his never had a problem with them. One of the things that big kids get that you really can do anything about. They are not dangerous or anything like that no need to see a vet for this one. Bag balm can be got at Walmart or order online it is used for cow udders to keep them supple

LittleMushroom September 3rd, 2010 03:31 PM

Thank you, Mastifflover! :2huggers: My good long weekend mood is back! How often do I apply? And will they disappear one day? Yes, they are hard and rough and flaky...He totally didn't care when I was trimming the hair and rubbing in some coconut oil, what a sweet good boy he is :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack September 3rd, 2010 04:15 PM

Likely they won't disappear completely at all--they [I]do [/I]look like elbow callouses. The bag balm works great to keep them soft and pliable. Our labby used to have some heavy-duty elbow callouses that would crack in winter if we didn't condition them with bag balm.

Your coconut oil may work well, too--time will tell! If cracking starts to be a problem, you at least have a fall-back plan with the bag balm. :D

He sure is a handsome pup! :lovestruck:

LittleMushroom September 3rd, 2010 07:16 PM

Thanks Hazel!!:dog:let me turn my little pup into a guinea pig:D I will let you know the results from using coconut oil