Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   New additions to the family !! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67856)

happycats January 11th, 2010 02:43 PM

New additions to the family !!

I would like to welcome our new little additionss!!!

Introducing Patrick and Spogebob my sons 2 new hermit crabs :D

My DH and son came home with these new additions :rolleyes: I quickly had to do a Google search to find out what the needed (living quarters, food).

I have already replaced their "crabitat" as I felt the one they cam home with was much to small, so I got them a shallow clear tote, so they have plenty of room now.
Boy can those 2 make a HUGE mess during the night!!! their crabitiat looked like a storm hit in the morning!!

Any info, advise would be greatly appreciated :o:)

krdahmer January 11th, 2010 02:45 PM

Congrats! Not a big fan of creepy crawlers.... so no advice... but good idea with the tote!

Melinda January 11th, 2010 04:18 PM

oh I love hermit crabs!!! man I haven't owned any for over 35 yrs, just make sure you give them a good sized assortment of shells to move into, its amazing and a little gross seeing them without a shell on "moving" day. there are so many fruits that they like, oh and make sure at the end of the feeding day you take the left over food out or they'll get sick from it. umm if I remember, coconut is a good treat, brine shrimp, apples, you buy either canned or pellet form food also for them, commercial feed is what I mean but they love snacks, oh and cuddle bones, like you buy for birds, you can buy broken ones really cheap at feed stores, just keep on in the bottom of the terrarium for them, they need the calcium. any fruits really except for acid ones, like citrus...good luck and pics would be great. I had all of gilligans island names for my group*L*

happycats January 11th, 2010 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=Melinda;872535]oh I love hermit crabs!!! man I haven't owned any for over 35 yrs, just make sure you give them a good sized assortment of shells to move into, its amazing and a little gross seeing them without a shell on "moving" day. there are so many fruits that they like, oh and make sure at the end of the feeding day you take the left over food out or they'll get sick from it. umm if I remember, coconut is a good treat, brine shrimp, apples, you buy either canned or pellet form food also for them, commercial feed is what I mean but they love snacks, oh and cuddle bones, like you buy for birds, you can buy broken ones really cheap at feed stores, just keep on in the bottom of the terrarium for them, they need the calcium. any fruits really except for acid ones, like citrus...good luck and pics would be great. I had all of gilligans island names for my group*L*[/QUOTE]

LOL thank you so much Melinda!! I thought they were cute at first, but seem a little creepy when you actually look at them (look like big spiders, and I don't like spiders :o) besides one grabed my sweater and wouldn't let go, so now I'm afraid to put them in my hand (don't want to get pinched)

I'll have to get the treats you mentioned, I'm sure they;ll love it :)

hazelrunpack January 11th, 2010 09:02 PM

No pics?! Where are the pics?!? :o

I've always liked hermit crabs. For crustaceans, they have interesting personalities :D

So, pics, please :D

happycats January 11th, 2010 09:18 PM

I'm sorry, :o I'll have to post some pics on the week-end, as they are being shy right now, and I was told to leave them alone for a few days so they can get used to their new home. :)

They're funny little things, and boy they get around, in and on everything!! I sneak in and peek at night when they are most active.

Dee-O-Gee January 11th, 2010 09:23 PM

My daughter had 2 hermit crabs when she was little and the one thing I remember is that you have to mist them with water at least once a day too. We kept a little spray bottle of fresh water near the crabitat. :)

happycats January 12th, 2010 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;872667]My daughter had 2 hermit crabs when she was little and the one thing I remember is that you have to mist them with water at least once a day too. We kept a little spray bottle of fresh water near the crabitat. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we bought the special expensive crab spray (I found out later that bottled spring water would do :rolleyes:)

I read somewhere to use salt water in their water dish, and somewhere else to use bottled spring water, so which is it :shrug: I'm confused.

Melinda January 12th, 2010 08:48 AM

I never used salt water, we had just plain old well water back then, and they don't normally pinch you, just keep your palm flat.

happycats January 12th, 2010 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=Melinda;872867]I never used salt water, we had just plain old well water back then, and they don't normally pinch you, just keep your palm flat.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I've been using bottled spring water (I don't think chlorinated tap water would be a good idea :sick:)

This little guy hung on to my sweater so tight, I couldn't get him off !:eek: I didn't want to pull to hard, because I didn't want to hurt him.

Melinda January 12th, 2010 10:22 AM

if he grabs ahold of your sweater again, hold a piece of treat in front of him...he grabs food with the same pincher that he normally holds on with....but he won't if he's verticle

happycats January 12th, 2010 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Melinda;872892]if he grabs ahold of your sweater again, hold a piece of treat in front of him...he grabs food with the same pincher that he normally holds on with....but he won't if he's verticle[/QUOTE]

I'll try that, although they don't seem to interested in food when I feed them?

Melinda January 12th, 2010 10:56 AM

it could be all new to them or they're full....