Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Awww...so much confusion over flea/tick/heartworm treatment!!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81270)

diandpat June 6th, 2012 10:05 AM

Awww...so much confusion over flea/tick/heartworm treatment!!!

Hi guys, need some help. With Ginger and Hobo and and last year with Zoey and Raggzy I have always followed the 6-month protocol of Sentinel. Our dogs are outside a lot in the summer and we walk in the woods and they are exposed to everything.

At this year's annual my vet informed me that Sentinel is back ordered (because they found human grade meds mixed in with the pills but that is a whole other thread!!!). Her suggestion is Revolution. I am not a fan of Revolution. Have read too many stories of adverse reactions.

There must be other people here who use Sentinel and Interceptor and coudln't get it...what did you switch to? I really feel like I don't want to make a mistake here.

Thanks for any help!

Kasianni June 6th, 2012 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=diandpat;1041174]Hi guys, need some help. With Ginger and Hobo and and last year with Zoey and Raggzy I have always followed the 6-month protocol of Sentinel. Our dogs are outside a lot in the summer and we walk in the woods and they are exposed to everything.

At this year's annual my vet informed me that Sentinel is back ordered (because they found human grade meds mixed in with the pills but that is a whole other thread!!!). Her suggestion is Revolution. I am not a fan of Revolution. Have read too many stories of adverse reactions.

There must be other people here who use Sentinel and Heartguard and coudln't get it...what did you switch to? I really feel like I don't want to make a mistake here.

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

Hi! I use to use Revolution. However, my Theo started to have seizures and I am wondering if that was the cause. I never stopped using it on him up to this year because my vet had said that was not the cause. Not so sure about that. This year, I am using Heartgard for Theo. Its does not protect against ticks though nor fleas but I have never seen a flea so not worried about that. Why is Heartgard not available to you??

diandpat June 6th, 2012 10:42 AM

It's Interceptor not Heartguard...sorry.

pbpatti June 6th, 2012 11:00 AM

diandpat, I am going through the same problems as you are. For some reason Interdeptor is not available here either, my vet suggested that we use Heartgard. I am still researching this prduct and have not given any to Sasha yet. I just don't know if she really needs this. :2cents::confused:

Choochi June 6th, 2012 11:19 AM

I drive down to US and buy Frontline at Petsmart.

Loki Love June 6th, 2012 01:13 PM

We have only ever given Loki Heartgard in the past. This year, given we've moved to a more wooded area, decided to treat for fleas/ticks but without meds. We use a product from the Cedarcide Store ([url]http://www.cedarcidestore.com/ANIMALHEALTH.html[/url]) called Best Yet. So far so good :) (Although, I just saw that they've come out with an even stronger tick repellent!)

sugarcatmom June 6th, 2012 01:16 PM

Can you get [URL="http://www.summitvetpharm.com/Veterinarians/Products/Dogs-Puppies/Vectra3D/"]Vectra 3D[/URL] where you are (only available from your vet, I believe)?

Barkingdog June 6th, 2012 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Choochi;1041184]I drive down to US and buy Frontline at Petsmart.[/QUOTE]

My vet was telling me the ticks are resistant to frontline , that frontline is no longer any good to keep ticks off your pets.

hazelrunpack June 6th, 2012 02:35 PM

It depends on where you are, Barkingdog. It's an emerging problem in the south but so far (:fingerscr) it's still pretty effective in the northern tier of states, and one would think, in Canada. I suspect it'll become more of an issue as time goes on, though.

Barkingdog June 6th, 2012 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1041211]It depends on where you are, Barkingdog. It's an emerging problem in the south but so far (:fingerscr) it's still pretty effective in the northern tier of states, and one would think, in Canada. I suspect it'll become more of an issue as time goes on, though.[/QUOTE]

I live Massachusetts and because of the very mild winter we had the ticks are worst than ever this year.

Choochi June 6th, 2012 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1041208]My vet was telling me the ticks are resistant to frontline , that frontline is no longer any good to keep ticks off your pets.[/QUOTE]

We don't have Frontline in Canada so our ticks don't know it :) My vet told me that Revolution has been shown in studies to be useless on ticks unless you use at least double the recommended dosage, no thanks!

I actually only use it when we travel to the states and will be using it if we go to Montreal, I don't use anything while we're in Toronto.