Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Fatten me up?? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12877)

wjranch March 7th, 2005 12:53 PM

Fatten me up??

Hi folks, I have a Dobermann puppy 7 mth male intact (staying that way)
I have kept him purposely lean during this time to allow his bones to grow without any added stresses. My vet reccommended this.
Here is my question...

I'm already feeding him 5-6 cups daily of Nutro Natural Large Breed, plus training treats (cookies and cheerios) What can I add to his diet that will 'pump up the groceries' for him in a fast way? He's hit his adolecent/gangly stage now and I am preparing to start his daily exercise in earnest. So he will be using up all available calories, he needs more...though adding much more at meal times I'm not real comfortable with as he's a breed that is prone to bloat problems...
So you see my dilemma??

Appreciate all input :)

Princesss04 March 7th, 2005 01:20 PM

Why will you not get him fixed? :confused:

wjranch March 7th, 2005 01:52 PM

No, I will not neuter him. He is a registered dobermann and will be shown to complete his Canadian Championship this year. He is one of the 'very few' dogs that should be kept intact. I will not breed him to just any bitch. And not until he's 18 months old minimum. I will ensure his offspring have homes before they are even bred and whelped, and will be responsible for them after that time as well. Any pup produced that finds itself in need of a new home will be returned either to myself, or the dam's owner to deal with.
Responsible breeders do not allow their dogs to end up in rescue or shelters. [I](if they are aware of it of course, you can't do something about things you're not informed of)[/I]

MIA March 7th, 2005 04:26 PM

Doberman pup

My Doberman was pretty thin until she was about 2 and is still developing, I don't think you want to add too much and just give the pup what he's supposed to have.

If you do breed please tattoo and chip your dogs so they can be traced back to you, that's a great way to ensure none of them ever end up in rescue.

Good luck :crazy:

Lucky Rescue March 7th, 2005 04:29 PM

6 cups of food a day for a 7 month old puppy?

[QUOTE]What can I add to his diet that will 'pump up the groceries' for him in a fast way?[/QUOTE]

What's the rush? With proper diet and exercise, he'll fill out in proper time. As you say, he's in his gangly adolescent stage and you can't skip that.

He's completing his championship? How exciting.:) Congrats! What titles has he earned so far?

You must have some show pics? I'd love to see them! I'm a big Dobie fan!

chico2 March 7th, 2005 05:31 PM

Me tooo,beautiful dogs! Love to see some pics!!

wjranch March 7th, 2005 07:49 PM

I posted a couple pics today in the picture forum. He hasn't started his show career yet... this is way I'm in a bit of a hurry to get some 'meat' on his bones...
He is too lean for showring at this point. It's been great for his growth, but, now he needs more substance to compete.
He will (if he has the quality) finish his Cdn Ch before he out grows puppy group. :) And if he does real well there (ie: finishes quickly) I will take him through as an adult as well.

I am learning the 'show world' as I'm new to it. But, I will keep ya'll posted on how he does (beware! I may brag ;) )

Lucky Rescue March 7th, 2005 08:27 PM

Oh, you've never shown him, so you have no idea if he even IS show quality. Only one way to find out.;) Are you talking about conformation and/or performance?

I wish you luck. It's a long road to championship - tons of work and very expensive. Will you handle him yourself? Are you training him for show now?

Has any expert given you an opinion on his chances in the ring? Who told you he is too lean for showing? Judges certainly don't expect puppies to be as beefed up as 5 year old dogs. They are looking for bone and movement and conformation as a whole.

I'm sure all of us would be interested in following his career.:)

Karin March 7th, 2005 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]Oh, you've never shown him, so you have no idea if he even IS show quality. Only one way to find out.;) Are you talking about conformation and/or performance?

I wish you luck. It's a long road to championship - tons of work and very expensive. Will you handle him yourself? Are you training him for show now?

Has any expert given you an opinion on his chances in the ring? Who told you he is too lean for showing? Judges certainly don't expect puppies to be as beefed up as 5 year old dogs. They are looking for bone and movement and conformation as a whole.

I'm sure all of us would be interested in following his career.:)[/QUOTE]

Thank you LR!

I am interested on hearing more about this Champion myself.

wjranch March 7th, 2005 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently had him evaluated by one of Canada's top breeders [I](he is not from their lines)[/I]. They not only spoke very well of him, they are willing to handle him for me. They're only suggestions to me was that he is lean mostly through his chest, to beef him up alittle and get him more socialized and used to being physically handled by strangers. I am seriously considering having them handle him, although I still plan to attend handling classes myself.

I currently have him enrolled in obedience (agility coming up next month) I do plan on 'finishing' him in conformation and then onward and upward to performance.
He does very well in obedience at this point, so we will either strive for advanced levels in that arena or I as I have recently developed an interest in Personal Protection training, that seems like a likely field for him also.

I do have high expectations for this dog, you've seen his pics? He should prove to be a serious contender in any arena we train for. But, of course, conformation is the first on our list. :)

Karin March 7th, 2005 10:13 PM

*shaking head in dismay*

happycats March 7th, 2005 10:20 PM

[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/dustycouch.gif[/img]

Karin March 7th, 2005 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=happycats][img]http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/dustycouch.gif[/img][/QUOTE]

I do not normally open these due to the cookies but his was worth it.

LOL!

happycats March 7th, 2005 10:32 PM

[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage15/16.gif[/img][img]http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage14/8.gif[/img]

wjranch March 7th, 2005 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=Karin]*shaking head in dismay*[/QUOTE]

Pardon?? :confused: dismay of what?

Karin March 7th, 2005 11:17 PM

Marko, I promised you I would try to be good.....

greaterdane March 8th, 2005 01:19 AM

[QUOTE=wjranch]

I have recently developed an interest in Personal Protection training, that seems like a likely field for him also.

[/QUOTE]

You want to do what with this dog? Sorry I saw all the great things you are going to do with him, then saw this. I knew a guy that wanted to put his pittbull through this, needless to say we no longer talk. Hes the reason pitts have a bad name.

wjranch March 8th, 2005 08:24 AM

My budding interest in PP is not because I wish to have a mean dog. I'm sure there are folks out there who train a dog as Personal Protection that just want a mean dog. I am not one of them. I see Personal Protection as the next step after we've perfected Obedience. I have no interest whatsoever in creating a biting machine! He has a wonderful temperment, but, the breed needs to be put to work. He is somewhat driven and already 'protective', I would prefer to be in the position to control that rather then just handle it if it arises. I'm not so sure that makes sense to most folks, but, oh well. If I decide not to do PP then, I'll still probably put him into Utility Tracking or Search and Rescue. What I am most interested in is having a job for him to do.

Thanks for your comments, I truly understand the concerns you present. But, you can rest assured I will never put him in a situation where he is at risk either mentally or physically.

happycats March 8th, 2005 08:24 AM

Beware! Personal protection training, can be a very very dangerous thing!!

it's kind of an oxymoron (sp?) isn't it ??
A dogs instinct is to protect it's family?? So why would you want to train it to do something it will already do if need be ?

chico2 March 8th, 2005 08:39 AM

wjranch,I cannot comment on PP,or any training for that matter..but your Dobie is absolutely stunning,beautiful!

Gazoo March 8th, 2005 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=Mommyof2bullies]You want to do what with this dog? Sorry I saw all the great things you are going to do with him, then saw this. I knew a guy that wanted to put his pittbull through this, needless to say we no longer talk. Hes the reason pitts have a bad name.[/QUOTE]

Ummm, thats pretty much what Doberman's were specifically bred for.

Gazoo March 8th, 2005 10:47 AM

He's a beauty!!!!!

Gazoo March 8th, 2005 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Karin]*shaking head in dismay*[/QUOTE]

Why shake your head in dismay?

It looks like a responsibly bred animal and a responsible loving owner.

Gazoo March 8th, 2005 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=wjranch]He has a wonderful temperment, but, the breed needs to be put to work. He is somewhat driven and already 'protective', I would prefer to be in the position to control that rather then just handle it if it arises. I'm not so sure that makes sense to most folks, but, oh well. If I decide not to do PP then, I'll still probably put him into Utility Tracking or Search and Rescue. What I am most interested in is having a job for him to do.

Thanks for your comments, I truly understand the concerns you present. But, you can rest assured I will never put him in a situation where he is at risk either mentally or physically.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered Schutzhund or Ringsport?

This site is Dr. P's training site...the best online resource for this kinda stuff.

[url]http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/protect.htm[/url]

Lucky Rescue March 8th, 2005 12:22 PM

[QUOTE]What I am most interested in is having a job for him to do.[/QUOTE]

Great!! Way too many people get working dogs, give them nothing to do, then dump them for barking, digging or behavior problems that arise from boredom.

Schutzhund would be great, if your dog has the personality for it. It's a fun game for dogs and of course Dobies are naturals at it and most love it.

PP is something else, and I wouldn't want to go there.

When you say he is "already protective" what do you mean? How does he react, and in what situation?

What level of obedience is he in? And what's his name??:)

wjranch March 8th, 2005 01:01 PM

Shutzhund is protection training as well as obedience and tracking.
He is protective like the breed should be. At his age he hasn't fully learned what is truly a threat and what's not. So he alerts on inappropriate things occasionally. We spend time walking about the nieghborhood and I help him learn to distinguish what's appropriate. He is not aggressive. He's learning alot of new stuff AND going through adolesence (sp?) So, it's a perfect time to teach him about friendly strangers, etc...
He is in advance puppy obedience right now, and top dog in his class :thumbs up If only I could maintain his attention for more then 3 seconds!! LOL
His name is [B]Dillinger's Escape Plan [/B] ([I]we picked it, not the breeder[/I]) We just call him Dillin ([I]or p****rhead [/I] ;) )

Thanks Gazoo for the link, I've been reading through [url]http://www.leerburg.com[/url] as well, tons of info too. I haven't done any reading on Ringsports yet, but, I plan to! Who knows? we might end up doing that!

greaterdane March 8th, 2005 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=wjranch][/I]) We just call him Dillin ([I]or p**kerhead [/I] ;) )

[/QUOTE]

Dillin is cute and i like his full name, but the nickname, not appropriate for this site at all. I hope you edit that out.

wjranch March 8th, 2005 01:13 PM

Sorry 'bout that... we call him that because he uses his cold wet nose like a woodpecker to poke you for kisses :) He's not a licky kinda pup.

heidiho March 8th, 2005 01:34 PM

I am curious also shakin head in dismay about what????????I think what u are doing is great,he is beautiful....

andone March 8th, 2005 01:36 PM

u train him to control himself. u train him to listen when u call him off. otherwise,u might try to get between the dog and the victim/attacker/whatever the situation and bad things happen