Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Why don't people research first? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13745)

Safyre April 4th, 2005 10:29 PM

Why don't people research first?

I have read soo many stupid questions lately, its driving me nuts. I am guessing that this time of year, this website gets SWAMPED with questions about Feline and Canine pregnancy and birth.
I LOVE [url]www.ask.com[/url] because you can find basically anything from it, it is a search engine, I just find it orks better for questions 'ie, how long are cats pregnant" got me to THIS website, which there was a great article.
This website has some GREAT articles, that if people would just read, they wouldn't keep asking the same question all the time.
Wondering if one of the moderators could put up in the Pet Health Forum some of the FAQ's on pregnancy (ENCOURAGING SPAY/NEUTURING of course!)

Sorry, just my rant, if it is in the wrong part of this forum, sorry bout that.

Prin April 4th, 2005 10:49 PM

I know what you mean and it started such heated threads. Should be "If you have questions about cat pregnancy, ask your vet or search the archives."

Safyre April 4th, 2005 11:42 PM

I didn't even look at the control bar when i first posted on this website, I have never used discussion boards before, so i didn't know there was a search button untill someone let me know.
Thats why I was thinking maybe to have just a thread there, closed, with info on cat pregnancy for people. its kittens time of year, so it'll probably stop soo many posts about it.
*shrugs* was just a bit annoyed earlier having read a particular thread.

CyberKitten April 5th, 2005 09:48 AM

We've discussed this before - faq's - but people who maintain this site are volunteers. So pls give them a break!

Eleni April 5th, 2005 09:55 AM

in my opinion, no question is stupid if it could possibly protect an animals life.

I know ive asked my fair share of dumb questions, but id rather ask and be informed then not ask and unknowingly put my pet at risk.

Im limited for computer time, so its easier to post then search out what im looking for.

Eleni

Safyre April 5th, 2005 11:46 AM

CK - I only made the suggestion for a FAQ. so why are you telling me to give them a break? i didn't know if anyone had brought it up before.Not sure if you meant it as rudely as it came off.

Eleni - Ok, the STUPID question I was referring to was on another thread, of the topic 'is my cat in heat' it very well could have been answered by the person doing a LIL bit of research on this very website, instead of posting.
Most questions, are not stupid.
I was more making the suggestion of an FAQ because of questions that keep getting repeated, due to new members not knowing there is a search function.

It was just a thought.

Eleni April 5th, 2005 11:56 AM

perhaps we misunderstood the tone of your post.

unfortunatly on a written forum that happens.

my mistake

Eleni

glasslass April 5th, 2005 03:14 PM

Unfortunately, there are also other frequent requests that start out with "our dog is too big for our yard" or "need to rehome because allergic". These people didn't research before acquiring the pet, let alone make any effort before deciding to dump them.

Prin April 5th, 2005 03:17 PM

Sad sad sad :sad: That's why my signature at the bottom is what it is. Dogs and any other pets should be forever. I adopted mine with the promise that I would feed them, water them, do all I can to keep them happy and healthy until they die. And I have never broken a promise. They should make you sign a "married to my pet" licence...

Safyre April 5th, 2005 06:56 PM

Things can very easily be taken wrong via internet, I understand.
I will admit, due to many years of chat rooms, my wording can come off as rude ... and its never meant that way. I shouldn't write when I am fustrated either.

It really was just a suggestion to try to keep repetitive posts down.

I don't like when people want to give up thier pets for assinine reasons either. It drives me nuts. When I think about getting an animal, i think about the cost of the first 6 months... and the continuing cost for 15 years.
Also, I am BIG on names. I love names, and I actually NAME my pets before I get them. In a way, it keeps me focused on the animal, putting a name to them. (yes, i have my next animal named)

CyberKitten April 5th, 2005 07:10 PM

Sorry Sayre, I actually was responding to what I perceived as a very rude accusation by you that not enough is being done - I myself have made some recommendations re issues here but I do try to be diplomatic. One of these days when I have time, I hope to create an faq. (The old adage - ask a busy person, lol).

I was not keen on you suggesting there are stupid questions. None of us can judge that. imho, there is NO such entity as a stupid question. We can be worse off if we are afraid to ask. So that part of your assumption that some if us ae too dumb for words bothered me. So I was just asking you to cut the folks who operate this site a break. It is not an easy task and a valuable service.

Safyre April 5th, 2005 09:41 PM

I'm not sure why it was perceived that way, I was saying what a GREAT website I found this to be, there is some good articles that were really helpful.
I just thought that a FAQ might help repetitive questions.
As I explained earlier the dumb question I was referring to in my original post, was fro mthe 'is my cat in heat' thread it just seemed like if the person had done some research, they would not have had to ask the question.
Thats why I was thinking a FAQ that has... the symptoms of cats in heat ... what happens during pregnacy, labour ... might be useful for some people, to prevent asking the same questions over and over.
At no time did I say, or suggest that the moderators were not doing a great job or that I think their job is easy.
I think they might be able to make it easier by posting a FAQ, so that they don't have to read the same threads/questions over and over.
I probably should not have used the word stupid ... but I was frustrated.