Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cat help - possible stray cat? What do I do? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72835)

shibamom September 30th, 2010 09:41 AM

Cat help - possible stray cat? What do I do?

1 Attachment(s)
There's a new young cat that keeps coming onto my patio (condo building). It has no tail and no collar. It is super friendly, it came into our condo through the doggy door and cuddled us. Simba has tried to chase it a few times (he smashed his face in the screen door during these attempts because of course we don't let him do it). It took off today after Simba tried to chase it again.

How do I know if this is a stray and what can I do? I got some pictures of it.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've never been around cats in my life (severe allergies). Should I call SPCA if it is in my home, or get some sort of crate for it? It might not be a stray though.

Thanks!

Marty11 September 30th, 2010 10:02 AM

Well I don't know much about strays, but that kitty looks good. Think it has an owner. Someone here will give you direction, but I'm sure do not call SPCA, kitty will end up in there for a long time.

Ozzie September 30th, 2010 07:45 PM

That's a pretty new stray. I would put it in a dog or cat travel crate and take it to a rescue centre.
Better yet why dont you test yourself to see if you still have cat allergies by keeping the cat for a few days.
You might end up with a great new friend! :thumbs up

kathryn September 30th, 2010 08:24 PM

I don't live in Canada, but this is what I would do (I am from the US)

I would take the kitty PERSONALLY to the local shelter/SPCA or whatever you may have there that takes care of homeless pets. I'd ask to have the cat scanned for a microchip and see if it is fixed. I'd ask around the neighborhood about the cat.

If an owner can be found I would
-Return the cat and talk to them about the dangers of allowing a kitty to roam free
-Direct them to information on having the kitty microchipped (if not already) and spayed/neutered (if not already)

If no owner can be found after canvasing the neighborhood I would
-Foster the kitty myself or have the kitty fostered by a close friend or relative
-Have the kitty altered and receive the appropriate medical care
-Locate the kitty an adoptive home through vets offices, humane societies, etc.

Sadly, since there are so many homeless kitties, I don't generally recommend just having animal control come and pick up stray animals if you can avoid it. The more involved you are with taking care of the kitty, the better chance he or she will have. If the cat is just sent in with an ACO like any other stray cat, he will just be another number in the system. This applies to pretty much everywhere, but in certain parts of Canada the system is quite messed up. Where I live I am relatively lucky that our animal control system is fairly balanced and *most* people are kind hearted.

Oh, and I also have severe animal allergies.. to basically EVERY animal. I happily live with 11 cats and work at an animal shelter that houses cats, dogs, rabbits and small animals :) just hang in there for a few days to help this little one out!

shibamom September 30th, 2010 09:39 PM

Thanks everyone

We'll post a picture in our building and the neighbouring ones to see if it belongs to anyone.

If it comes back and it seems to be a stray, we'd actually really like to keep it (I have allergies to my father in law's house but that's 6 cats!). It's super friendly as you can see!!!!

BUT................

We have a Shiba Inu breed dog and I think it would really upset/stress the cat to be around him. He does not seem to be vicious with cats, he is desperate to play with them (we think), but he's never gotten close enough to find out (he got really close once, but has a good paw swipe on his face to show for it).

catlover2 October 1st, 2010 09:16 AM

Not every tailless cat is a Manx cat, and may have lost it's tail through an accident, but looking at this one's face and ear set and bone structure it may well be a Manx. They are very special cat's, loving and loyal, actually quite doglike, so I do hope you'll be able to help it out.

Chris21711 October 1st, 2010 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=shibamom;955894]

We have a Shiba Inu breed dog and I think it would really upset/stress the cat to be around him. He does not seem to be vicious with cats, he is desperate to play with them (we think), but he's never gotten close enough to find out (he got really close once, but has a good paw swipe on his face to show for it).[/QUOTE]

When we adopted Jack (JRT) he literally wanted to eat the cats, it turned out that he is highly trainable (much to my surprise) and now Herbie and Jack will share the same dog bed....Jack got swiped a few times too :rolleyes:

shibamom October 25th, 2010 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone. Just an update, we have seen her around the building now with a bright pink collar. Still not sure who she belongs to (haven't been able to get close enough) but she is clearly not a stray. I would love to know the owner because I keep seeing her dodging cars on the street!!! YEESH :wall:

chico2 October 25th, 2010 04:31 PM

thank's for the update,it's a good thing she has an owner,it would be better if she had a good owner,who would not let her out on the street:yell:
must be frustrating to see:cat: