Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sean p diddy Combs selling dog fur!!!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34414)

heidiho December 22nd, 2006 05:30 PM

Sean p diddy Combs selling dog fur!!!!

This is disgusting and incredibly sad!

The Humane Society of the United States has just written this damning expose on their website, revealing that Diddy's clothing company is selling dog fur! And some stores are labeling it "faux."

The HSUS tested the fur on a Sean John Hooded Snorkel Jacket sold on Macys.com that was originally advertised, incorrectly, as having an "imitation rabbit fur collar" and materials identified as "faux fur."

The jacket, which Diddy's company described as containing "raccoon" fur, has now been found to come from a canine species known as raccoon dog.

Previous tests conducted by The HSUS on fur-trimmed jackets from a range of other retailers and designers revealed the same problem--raccoon dog fur from China mislabeled as being from a different species, either "raccoon" or "coyote."

The mislabeling of a fur product is a violation of federal law.

China has no animal welfare laws. Animals killed for their fur in China--dogs, raccoon dogs and others--often face horrible abuse, and are too often skinned alive.

Macy's has reportedly pulled the mislabeled Sean John garments from its department stores and online shop, but The HSUS is calling on Diddy and other designers and retailers to stop using and selling fur trim altogether.

Frenchy December 22nd, 2006 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=heidiho;340480]China has no animal welfare laws. Animals killed for their fur in China--dogs, raccoon dogs and others--often face horrible abuse, and are too often skinned alive.

[/QUOTE]

I saw a video of it a couple years ago. From someone undercover, they played it later at night , Dateline NBC or 20/20 . It was the must disgusting thing I've ever seen. It still haunts me. :sad: There so many things we are not aware of. How many people bought the stuff from P diddy company without knowing what it really was. Disgusting.

heidiho December 22nd, 2006 05:58 PM

That is pretty disturbing i would due the guy if i bought something that had dog fur,well i wouldnt even be buying anything that resembles fur anyway

Golden Girls December 23rd, 2006 12:43 AM

I've purchased "faux" before knowing what it possibly was, the label says trimmings 100% acrylic, sure sure! Here's a link to Larry King's show last Dec. on this topic (no video's attached)
[url]http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/writes/editorial/news/features/larryking_catdogfur1.html[/url]There's also a thread on this particular show somewhere here.

doggirl1 January 16th, 2007 09:58 AM

Puff Daddy

If interested, you may go to the PETA link [url]http://blog.peta.org/archives/2006/12/pdiddys_dogfur_1.php[/url]
to view the truth about using dog fur in fashion. I do believe Puff Daddy knew what was in his clothing just as Martha Stewart knows what ingredients go into her dishes. :dog: :cat:

jiorji January 16th, 2007 10:11 AM

yeah....PETA's a great source for facts....they don't twist the information for their sake at all....nope....:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how true this story is. I'd have to see it for myself. I'm not taking his side, cos well he wears real fur and that's nasty as is, but this dog fur thing seems waaaaaaaaayy out there :shrug: and if this is a rumour, it's pretty sick.:sad:

4thedogs January 16th, 2007 10:48 AM

I haven't read anything on this topic yet besides what I have just read.

My question is this, is it just the fur or is the skin attached like in a fur coat. If it is just the fur I don't see a problem in it. There was a program I watched a couple years ago of a woman that was using the hair from her newfs to knit hats, mittens, etc. She used the hair removed through brushing.

Golden Girls January 16th, 2007 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=jiorji;353076]yeah....PETA's a great source for facts....they don't twist the information for their sake at all....nope....:rolleyes:
I'm not sure how true this story is. I'd have to see it for myself. I'm not taking his side, cos well he wears real fur and that's nasty as is, but this dog fur thing seems waaaaaaaaayy out there :shrug: and if this is a rumour, it's pretty sick.:sad:[/QUOTE]You've got to be kidding me? Alot of people have made themselves sick so that they can expose this kind of cruelty and not just Peta. However no one will do house calls so if you really want to see it for yourself purchase a faux fur jacket and get it tested. How much do you want to bet it's dog and cat fur?

DIDDY's an A** you can click it ... it's not Peta reporting, its the New York Post: [url]http://www.nypost.com/seven/12242006/news/regionalnews/dog_diddy_breaks_vow_to__go_faux_regionalnews_elizabeth_wolff_and_chris_michaud.htm[/url]

Hunter's_owner January 16th, 2007 11:24 AM

If PETA had not been found to twist information before, then there would never be doubts of any of their claims.:shrug:

technodoll January 16th, 2007 11:27 AM

PETA is not on the line here. People killing animals for profit and fashion are. right? :frustrated:

Prin January 16th, 2007 11:51 AM

I doubt PETA too. If another source (more reliable) says it's true, than ok. But PETA is not exactly a reliable source for news, IMO.

technodoll January 16th, 2007 11:52 AM

as GG said... [QUOTE]it's not Peta reporting, its the New York Post: [url]http://www.nypost.com/seven/12242006...is_michaud.htm[/url]
[/QUOTE]

Hunter's_owner January 16th, 2007 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=technodoll;353106]PETA is not on the line here. People killing animals for profit and fashion are. right? :frustrated:[/QUOTE]

Yes TD, I agree, but unless another source backs up the info that PETA states, then I have no choice but to doubt their findings. I keep it no secret that I am not a fan of PETA's, and I am as big an animal lover as it gets.

jiorji January 16th, 2007 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=Hunter's_owner;353103]If PETA had not been found to twist information before, then there would never be doubts of any of their claims.:shrug:[/QUOTE]

exactly.

I DON'T wear fur. I don't BUY fur. Buying it to "test" it would be ridiculous. How is posting a picture of Diddy going to prove that he wears dog/cat fur??Why don't you post pictures of other celebrities who too wear fur????

I agree that killing for fashion is disgusting, but i'm not ashamed to check all my facts before I make my decision.

Prin January 16th, 2007 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=jiorji;353126]exactly.

I DON'T wear fur. I don't BUY fur. Buying it to "test" it would be ridiculous. How is posting a picture of Diddy going to prove that he wears dog/cat fur??Why don't you post pictures of other celebrities who too wear fur????

I agree that killing for fashion is disgusting, but i'm not ashamed to check all my facts before I make my decision.[/QUOTE]

Great post.:)

technodoll January 16th, 2007 12:10 PM

i don't understand why slam PETA, instead of slamming all the crooks and liars of the world who abuse animals? :confused: in this case it's not even about PETA at all.. i get the feeling they're a quick "blame all" when something uncomfortable pops up, which diverts attention from the real problem, people like this guy! my :2cents:

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16329355/[/url]
[QUOTE]Sean John jackets were made with dog fur
Macy’s pulls items after group says animals killed in China for material[/QUOTE]

Golden Girls January 16th, 2007 12:13 PM

jiorji I have to ask are we having the same conversation ... meaning are we discussing the same topic here - I'm confused? This topic and his picture has to do wish HIS line called: $280 SNORKEL COATS that's labelled "[B]raccoon-dog fur[/B]" but really is "[B]dog fur[/B]" < -- not that it's any less discusting! Why would I post other celebrity pictures?

He had said he was not aware of China's use of dogs and cats and therefore pulled it from the market yet here he is on Dec 27th wearing his jacket. They were pulled from Macy's yet still on the racks in the "fifth avenue flaghip store" - that being the topic. You said you wanted proof - or in your words it's a rumour, how do u plan to get it then? You can hate Peta - who cares :frustrated: or is it fair to say you just think it's a big conspiracy. So animals are not suffering, their not getting skinned alive nor is China mis-labelling their products? And when Larry King did the show back in Dec 2005 "DOGS AND CATS ABUSED FOR THEIR FUR" it's really just a mis-understanding :rolleyes:

Prin January 16th, 2007 12:14 PM

Yeah, but then there's this:

[QUOTE]In a statement by Sean “Diddy” Combs released by his publicist Hampton Carney, the designer said: “I was completely unaware of the nature of this material, [B]but as soon as we were alerted, the garments were pulled off the Macy’s floor and Web site. I have instructed our outerwear licensee to cease the production of any garments using this material immediately[/B].”[/QUOTE]
:shrug: I would understand bashing him if he kept going with the dog fur or whatever, but if he's stopping, and honestly, we all know they have no clue what's going on in the Chinese factories...:shrug: Boycott the clothes. Ok? And? He's not the only one and won't be the last.:shrug:

Anyway, this:
[QUOTE]Macy’s removal of the coats comes on the heels of other tests conducted by the Humane Society of the United States on a range of fur-trimmed jackets from retailers such as Burlington Coat Factory, Bloomingdale’s, J.C. Penney and Saks Fifth Avenue as well as from designers and clothing lines such as Baby Phat, Andrew Marc, MaxMara and Calvin Klein. Those tests revealed that most of the jackets labeled as “raccoon” or coyote” from China in fact contained fur from raccoon dogs.[/QUOTE]Makes it more plausible than any statement or campaign from peta.

technodoll January 16th, 2007 12:15 PM

good post GG! exactly my thoughts on this matter :)

technodoll January 16th, 2007 12:16 PM

[QUOTE=prin]Makes it more plausible than any statement or campaign from peta.[/QUOTE]

well thank the lord other entities are backing up what PETA has been saying all along ;)

Prin January 16th, 2007 12:16 PM

[QUOTE=technodoll;353140]well thank the lord other entities are backing up what PETA has been saying all along ;)[/QUOTE]

That's what happens when they accidentally stumble on something that's true.

Hunter's_owner January 16th, 2007 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Prin;353141]That's what happens when they accidentally stumble on something that's true.[/QUOTE]

Or when they report facts and don't falsify information;)

technodoll January 16th, 2007 12:18 PM

no matter what people think of PETA... at least they get the message out... and get people talking :thumbs up they get my $$ from time to time and i'm proud of it :)

Golden Girls January 16th, 2007 12:18 PM

Uncomfortable topic, that's an understatement but to defend something because you hate someone ... that's just sad. I'm out of here!

Prin January 16th, 2007 12:20 PM

Nobody's defending anybody. We're just saying we can do our own research and find the (more unbiased) info by other means than from PETA. :shrug: If it's true, there will be other sources.

Hunter's_owner January 16th, 2007 12:21 PM

I haven't been defending the bad guys at all. I am just as against abuse and all that as anyone here. But when peta's name is used, I cringe. I know about some of the bad things that they have done and I don't like them for that. However, like TD said, in a lot of cases they get the message out and get people talking and I am all for that:thumbs up

technodoll January 16th, 2007 12:22 PM

...and the sources are plenty in this case (celebrity clothing line reeking of dead dogs). that guy should be put up in the Hall of Shame and exiled to the sahara desert :frustrated: along with all the other idjits who peddle the same wares for profit :yuck:

Golden Girls January 16th, 2007 12:25 PM

What I'm trying to say is that the education is there, and if you do think there is a slight, sliver, hint, possibility that animals are being horribly abused in the crueliest of cruel - skinned alive all because of OUR demand - you would not hesitate to add to this topic and not re-direct it back against your thoughts on Peta. Man Peta would love this board, so much attention on them :rolleyes: you are sure giving them way too much credit if you ask me

happycats January 16th, 2007 01:15 PM

I believe P. Diddiy, puff, daddy, P.D (or whatever the heck he calls himself now:rolleyes:) knew or should have known it was dog fur.
I believe this because this disgusting practice in China was exposed years ago, and the rest of the world was cautioned about China's use of dog and cat fur. Hell for the price of the "racoon fur" from China you would have to be a fool not to know it was dog!! He was trying to make his garments dirt cheap, and sell for a HUGE profit!! That's what this was all about:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: and I don't think P Diddy gave a rats behind what kind of fur this was as long as he was making the $$$$$$.

Golden Girls January 16th, 2007 04:31 PM

I believe he knew exactly what was going on only ... he got caught! By not removing it all just proves his intent - $$$ as usual < -- like he desperately needs any more :rolleyes: Can you imagine the good he could of done, it's shameful! I hope he falls flat on his face with all his diamonds and blings if for no other reason just to break those freakin Elton John glasses
[QUOTE=jiorji;353126]I agree that killing for fashion is disgusting, but i'm not ashamed to check all my facts before I make my decision.[/QUOTE]You'll never find a post from me especially a topic as important as this without facts, afterall there are thousands of people visiting this board daily and not just members that post either. So if you don't mind either educate yourself or move on. I'll re-post the above link but I won't read it for you.

Taking Peta completely out of the picture - Mr. Rick Swain, Chief Investigator for the Humane Society of the U.S. and former homicde detective [B] HIMSELF[/B]went to China posing as a fur wholesaler in 1998-1999 and filmed horrific - I mean discusting footage so the world could see and hopefully acknowledge and try and help. Who the heck else is going to help pass this horror on - our government? The people who [B]can[/B] help the animals are people like [B]you [/B]and [B]I [/B]... animal lovers who don't have an agenda. You must 1st though [B]be a believable witness [/B]!
[url]http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/writes/editorial/news/features/larryking_catdogfur1.html[/url]