Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Ask the Members (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Any members want to write for the Pets.ca blog? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=74337)

marko January 3rd, 2011 04:59 PM

Any members want to write for the Pets.ca blog?

Hi members!

Just curious about something, although members can have their own personal blogs through our forum Pets.ca, [URL="http://www.pets.ca/blog/"]Pets.ca also has its own blog[/URL] (the blue link in the main navbar that says pet blog)

Are there any members that would like to become featured writers and write small blog posts (anywhere from about 200 words to 800 words) for the main Pets.ca blog?

Here's the skinny!
- Interested people need to have good writing skills. We're not looking for the next Hemmigway or anything but interested people should be able to write proper paragraphs and have a decent (perfection not expected) command of spelling and grammar.
- We'd like people to write on a specific topic (ie cat food, dog food, dog or cat grooming, cat or dog behaviour, personal familiarity with a well known dog or cat disease etc.)
- The frequency of the posts can be discussed but we'd like it to be regular. (perhaps once a week?)
- In exchange for these posts we can offer a byline and links to your own pet business or pet charity. We'll likely promote interested people in other ways as well when possible.
- We are aware that members may not be 'official experts' in an area that they may consider writing. We have no problem with that at all and might use a standard disclaimer telling people exactly that. Basically we are interested in people sharing the knowledge they have gained in layman's terms, not professional vetspeak.
- Interested members 'should' have more than 50 posts.

Is this interesting to anyone? If so feel free to PM me or ask additional questions in this thread.

Please feel free to pass this on to any members that you think might be interested.

many thanks in advance, :goodvibes:

Marko

marko January 5th, 2011 10:45 AM

hmmm - nobody is interested? We'll be looking outside the forum next but we wanted to give any interested members first crack.

We'll wait another few days...and please feel free to Pm me with any additional questions.

thx - m

marko January 5th, 2011 10:59 AM

Possible additional topics could be senior dogs, senior cats, puppies or kittens.
(Just putting it out there) :D

totallyhip January 5th, 2011 05:19 PM

I would really love to but I can't seem to find the time to keep up with my own blog :cry:

marko January 5th, 2011 06:00 PM

Maybe it's a good way to do a twofer :D

14+kitties January 6th, 2011 12:23 AM

I would think sugarcatmom, growler, Love4himies, and luckypenny and Frenchy would be good choices to do blogs. They all have a wealth of knowledge in their particular areas of expertise. LP and Frenchy could write about fostering. The other ladies could do food and meds.
Are you using these blogs for people who go to the main page of Pets and don't come to the forum? Because if not it seems like it would be a whole bunch of repeated information? Personally I forget there is other parts of Pets besides the forum. :o:rolleyes:

marko January 6th, 2011 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;974631]I would think sugarcatmom, growler, Love4himies, and luckypenny and Frenchy would be good choices to do blogs. They all have a wealth of knowledge in their particular areas of expertise. LP and Frenchy could write about fostering. The other ladies could do food and meds.
Are you using these blogs for people who go to the main page of Pets and don't come to the forum? Because if not it seems like it would be a whole bunch of repeated information? Personally I forget there is other parts of Pets besides the forum. :o:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Thanks 14+! and yes it's for the non-forum folks !

hazelrunpack January 6th, 2011 09:16 PM

Maybe you could get a pool of people to write--that way it wouldn't be such a big commitment for any one member? :shrug:

marko January 6th, 2011 10:13 PM

Thanks HRP, still looking for more individuals before forming the pool :)

kwilli January 13th, 2011 02:10 PM

interested

Hi Marko....

I read this post and thought maybe I could chronical my new exercise journey with myself and one of my dogs.
I've signed up for a class starting this saturday to exercise with one of my dogs, Luna (2 yr old great pyrenees.... not your typical pyr.... this one loves to run and play). Class is Level 1 (fetching.ca).
My dog has some behavioural issues (the trainer side of the twosome who does the classes is familiar with my dog. She has particular dog aggression issues (esp on leash). We have taken obedience classes before with Ola, and Luna responds well, so they've let us in!
We've been through 3 (puppy, into and intermediate) obedience classes already... she does fairly well in the walk, sit, stop, down. But a class where there is energy and running around? Oh boy. I might be :crazy: for trying this out.... with my problem child. Monty, my Berner, is an excellent boy. In fact, my kitty cats (Dale and Chip) respond to "no" more so that my white ball of lightning.
Not sure if you think this would be an okay topic.... but I wouldn't mind giving a shot. Focus would be on both of our journeys...... mine: to improved fitness and a better connection with my lovely wicked girl, and Luna's: to improved confidence, some form of recall (she is a pyr in that regard.. with the barking) and a better connection to her loving mom!

let me know...

k.

Meggin January 14th, 2011 01:15 AM

Posting for pets

I would love to do it. I know I am new. However I have been involved in rescue along side my breeding for 40yrs.
I have shown My policy and contracts have always been tough. never a pet gone from me unless spayed or neutered.
Prospective owners have always had to come and spend time with each dog for weeks before I let them go.

I have good backround in health and care with damadged dogs. Those who have been pulled out of apalling situations
Can help you retrain even those you may be unsure of. Just a little info for you.
If you would like to talk to me I am here
Peace and all good things

BenMax January 14th, 2011 09:21 AM

I think this would be a great opportunity to ask Bill Bruce, City Director of Animal and Bylaw Service, Calgary to write a piece for us.
I for one would be very interested in his philosophies, ideals, and future endevours to protect animals in Alberta.

marko January 15th, 2011 10:20 AM

I'll be Pming people in this thread this weekend. Many thx!

Bmax - that's a great idea! We're looking more to give people "a column" but I certainly don't mind featuring an individual post when the content is great.

That said, I don't know this man or his philosophy or have any idea if he would even want to write a piece. If you or any other member want to take the lead on this, I can surely follow up. Calgary does have a great reputation that many other provinces can learn from.

many thx - Marko

DOGtorX March 1st, 2011 05:14 PM

is this offer still available?

marko March 2nd, 2011 10:07 AM

Offer is still open indeed - feel free to Pm me about it.

Thx - marko

MIA March 19th, 2011 10:56 AM

Marko, I am happy to help in the adopting/buying pets area as I run No Puppy Mills Canada! Also have volunteered for rescue for over 12 years.

MIA

Shaykeija April 20th, 2011 11:02 PM

I would love to but between rescue and work I have no time. Did anyone take you up on the offer?

Shaykeija April 20th, 2011 11:10 PM

Yes I know but I am tres busy...

marko June 13th, 2011 04:10 PM

This offer is still open if anyone is interested.

Thx - Marko

Canadianbella June 16th, 2011 03:40 PM

I wouldn't mind , I have a lot of experience writing, but I do know i'm new and may have to wait a while 'till you all know be better :)