Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   8 cats in van (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3057)

chico2 February 9th, 2004 12:00 PM

8 cats in van

A while ago I told you about a lady living in a van with 8 cats,the van broke down and she stayed at a Pet Value store.
Well,a little good news,some good samaritan had her van fixed at the cost of $1.800.
Today I met her and her cats again,looked in the van and although it is definetly not an ideal situation,the cats seemed happy and contended,the whole inside of the van is a"cat-house".She takes them outside four at a time on leashes..
One thing for sure,she loves her cats and takes good care of them,the best she can.Here in Oakville Ontario it's getting a little warmer,hopefully spring is not far away,then it will be easier for her.

Lucky Rescue February 9th, 2004 12:22 PM

We don't imagine people living in poverty in affluent places like Oakville, but they do!

Nice story about the lady and her cats. Has her story ever been in the local paper? I bet she would get much help that way.

mona_b February 9th, 2004 12:39 PM

I'm so glad to hear that her van was fixed.

LR,it was on the news a while ago on CH.Hamilton station.The cats are just beautiful.

There were quite a few people who helped her out.They even gave bags of cat food.

If I recal,(corect me if i'm wrong chico)she wouldn't go to a shelter cause there were none who would also take in all her cats.

Maybe they should put it on the news again.:)

chico2 February 9th, 2004 04:37 PM

Actually,HS would take the cats,but she had to sign them over and even agree to euthanezia(spelling?)if it got to be necessary.She was hoping they could have taken the cats just for the coldest part of the winter,but of course HS does not do that.Apparently she was in the papers and on TV,got some money and cat-food but no offers of a place to rent.
I only met her when her van had broken down and the good people at Pet Value kept the cats at the store and found someone to fix her van and pay for it.
The cats are gorgeous and in good health,especially two longhaired ones
Oakville has a lot of poor people,the same as anywhere else,they just don't like to admit to it.

mona_b February 9th, 2004 04:39 PM

Sorry chico.I should have said it better.

I meant the woman wouldn't go to a shelter.

Sorry bout that.

chico2 February 9th, 2004 04:55 PM

Mona you were right,she would not go without her cats,she would have,had she been able to find a safe place for them,as she did in pet-valu.
The two longhaired cats actually were adopted out(or fostered to start),but some people think cats will adept to a new home right away and of course they were shy and a bit frightened so the couple returned them without giving them a chance to adjust.The lady was actually happy to see them again...

wAggie February 10th, 2004 09:51 PM

now that's love... :)

through thick & thin, I'm gonna try my darn'dest to stick my doggies close to me!

mona_b February 11th, 2004 12:11 AM

OMG,they didn't even give them a chance?Now that's just sad.

I bet she was glad to see them.She loves her babies.:D

chico2 February 11th, 2004 08:47 AM

My hubbie,who thinks I sometimes go too far,ask me if I would give up my cats or live in a Van with them.The answer to me was simple,although I hope it never happens.
I am responsible for their lives"in sickness and in health,for richer and for poorer"and would do anything rather than sticking them in a cage at HS.Now,I've never had to make such a choice,but I cannot see myself giving up my animals for any reason...
How do you feel?