Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dog at Mile 26 (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70801)

14+kitties June 20th, 2010 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;929425]Goldfields

FAC...has something to do about firearms..probably firearm license.[/QUOTE]

If you Google it it means exactly that TQ. :thumbs up
I wish I were closer and had the means to help. I can, however, send a few dollars to help the rescue that is helping the dogs. :thumbs up Every little bit helps!

Chris21711 June 21st, 2010 09:40 AM

Some of the rescued dogs

3 Attachment(s)
This is Lego, apparently he lost most of his left leg and toes from his right foot in a bear trap :( It doesn't seem to dampen his spirits :lovestruck:[ATTACH]66715[/ATTACH]

Abitibi and Moonbeam :cloud9:

[ATTACH]66716[/ATTACH]

Dakota :cloud9:

[ATTACH]66723[/ATTACH]

I'm working on more but dial-up is so darn slow :frustrated::yell:

Frenchy June 21st, 2010 09:41 AM

ahhhh they are all adorable :lovestruck:

thanks so much to their rescuers !!! :thumbs up and thanks Chris for the pictures :cloud9:

marko June 21st, 2010 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;929722]ahhhh they are all adorable :lovestruck:

thanks so much to their rescuers !!! :thumbs up and thanks Chris for the pictures :cloud9:[/QUOTE]

Exactly what Frenchy said :)

Chris21711 June 21st, 2010 10:11 AM

More pics

3 Attachment(s)
Waiting dogs:

[ATTACH]66724[/ATTACH]

"Apparently" the OSPCA did a "fly-over" with the OPP and decided that the dogs were feral and that nothing could be done :yell:

One Feral Dog:

[ATTACH]66725[/ATTACH]

Another Sweetie :cloud9:

[ATTACH]66726[/ATTACH]

My Modem is literally smokin' :rolleyes:....there are tons of photos on the facebook site if you would like to see more.

[url]http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1402697221927#!/topic.php?uid=121586771193663&topic=507[/url]

Love4himies June 21st, 2010 10:16 AM

I wish all the best for these doggies' :angel:!!!!!!! It just warms my heart that there are so many caring individuals :lovestruck:

14+kitties June 21st, 2010 10:16 AM

Thank you Chris for posting these pics. :grouphug: You are a special lady. But then you know that.

Frenchy June 21st, 2010 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;929729]

"Apparently" the OSPCA did a "fly-over" with the OPP and decided that the dogs were feral and that nothing could be done :yell:

[/QUOTE]

:confused: you're kidding me ! Even let's say these dogs are ferals , it's their responsability to "control" ... not leave them in the woods to procreate ! :wall:

14+kitties June 21st, 2010 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;929740]:confused: you're kidding me ! Even let's say these dogs are ferals , it's their responsability to "control" ... not leave them in the woods to procreate ! :wall:[/QUOTE]

We already have had proof that the OSPCA (higher ups) has not/is not doing their job. I don't know why we are surprised any more. :(

BenMax June 21st, 2010 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;929742]We already have had proof that the OSPCA (higher ups) has not/is not doing their job. I don't know why we are surprised any more. :([/QUOTE]

14+K - don't lose hope as this will force the organization to restructure and get the people in who are knowledgeable, resourceful and credible. Things like this happen when there are greedy bast@rds in position of power. This is like a bad pimple coming to a head, and then there will be change. Seen it before over and over again.

Cudos to the woman taking responsibility when it was not her mandate to do so. A hero for me personally though I have no clue who she is.

As for the man who died, it saddens me greatly as any life lost is horrendous especially if one loses his/her life trying to save others. I guess no one really knows why there were so many dogs, but worse than that, why the OSPCA turned their backs on a citizen who was struggling. Never mind the animal aspect here...but what about the human aspect? I love animals so much, but I have to tell you I love people as well and cannot understand how humans can turn a blind eye to someone struggling.

This story is a tragedy on so many levels. When will human beings start acting like the so called 'superior' beings. I really have to wonder where our world is going and why so much despair and neglect. I wish there was an answer to this as you would think that society would evolve at some point.:(

Chris21711 June 21st, 2010 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=BenMax;929763]14+K - don't lose hope as this will force the organization to restructure and get the people in who are knowledgeable,

([/QUOTE]

I think everyone is hoping for the same BenMax, although I heard some disconcerting news on Friday, although not confirmed officially it wouldn't surprise me one iota :frustrated:

One last pic before I go to meet the wizard:

This is Gardiner, he was found in the burnt out remains of Jean Luc's cabin:

[ATTACH]66728[/ATTACH]

Tundra_Queen June 21st, 2010 02:08 PM

thanks for the pics Chris!

I heard that the OSPCA on the CBC radio program about the dogs said they were there! I missed the radio program though, but that is what someone from Facebook Mile 26 site reported.

The group is back up at Mile 26 today trying to capture more dogs. Last night the people from Cochrane transported the dogs they had captured the day before down to North Bay from what I understand.

Debbie

chico2 June 21st, 2010 04:00 PM

Chris,I too thank you for the pics,they bring reality to what those dogs must have endured,to stay alive:(
:grouphug:to all the people helping these poor souls,the OSPCA is obviously doing nothing.
Even if some of the dogs are feral.they are still dogs,dogs who to no fault of their own ended up in this very sad situation.

Love4himies June 21st, 2010 05:34 PM

I too thank you for posting these pics. They are obviously not feral dogs as the OSPCA would like people to believe. Maybe they tell themselves that so they can sleep at night.

Super big :grouphug: to those who are helping in this rescue.

hazelrunpack June 21st, 2010 09:28 PM

They're all beautiful, Chris! :lovestruck: Thanks for posting the pics!

I hope loving homes are found for them all soon! :goodvibes:

Tundra_Queen June 22nd, 2010 01:08 AM

Hi

here is what was said on CBC radio about mile 26

[url]http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/sudbury/onde[/url]

Tundra_Queen June 22nd, 2010 01:43 AM

Here is a link to pics of the dogs

[url]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=125201667511945&v=wall#!/photo.php?pid=4687715&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=125201667511945&aid=-1&id=518101842&oid=125201667511945[/url]

this was also posted on the site:

Looking to raise $15000.00 to help spay/neuter, provide medical care and food for the nearly 50 dogs that were rescued from Mile 26.
This amount would make for a budget of $300 per dog.

There are 782 members in our group if we all donate $20 each our goal will be met with a grand total of $15640.00. Please remember that... if that is more than you can muster every dollar counts! Thanks guys!

We are a registered charity and receipts for tax purposes will be issued for all donations received.
If you can help, donations can be sent via Canada post to:

Rescue at Mile 26
C/O Northern Ontario Animal Welfare Society
P.O. Box 51
Iroquois Falls, Ontario
P0K 1G0

Make cheques out to NOAWS (for Rescue at Mile 26)

An email money transfer can be sent to:

[email]adoptions@noaws.com[/email]

With email transfers please attach your name and address, so that receipts can be sent.

NoahGrey June 22nd, 2010 07:26 AM

Tundra Qween, the link you provided doesn't seem to be working...or it just might be my computer. Just very interested in seeing what OSPCA is telling them....grr

chico2 June 22nd, 2010 07:39 AM

T-Q thank you!
I looked at all the 198 pics and I am sitting here crying,hubby comes in,asks"Who died now:confused:"
I cry because seeing all these dogs is overwhelming,seeing all these wonderful people,taking the initiative because of their love of animals,is amazing:grouphug:

Love4himies June 22nd, 2010 07:57 AM

[url]http://www.cbc.ca/sudbury/media/audio/popup.html?http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/sudbury/ondemand/audio/feature_dogman_jun21.wma[/url]

Here is the link.

It states that the OSPCA is monitoring the situation :rolleyes:???? What about helping :frustrated:???

Chris21711 June 22nd, 2010 10:02 AM

[B]TQ -[/B]It took about 45 minutes for me to hear the CBC broadcast with the stops and starts on dial-up :laughing:.....All I managed to pick up from it regarding the OSPCA, is that they were "[I]monitoring the situation [/I]which to me means they are doing ZILCH....I too, am monitoring the situation.

Did I miss something more concrete than that?

Chris21711 June 22nd, 2010 10:11 AM

I received another email from the UAN:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the information and for the kind words. The Northern Ontario Animal Welfare Society emailed us about this situation on June 7, and because the situation falls outside of UAN’s expertise and program areas, it is not something that UAN can provide a deployment for in the same way that we could help the animal agency provide shelter for the seized sled dogs. We offered several other ways that we could assist NOAWS, and provided some other contacts and referrals. We haven’t heard any updates lately about the situation, so I’m glad you sent their website.

Thanks again for writing to UAN and for your involvement to help animals.

Karen Brown
Director of Programs
United Animal Nations
P.O. Box 188890 • Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 429-2457 - phone
(916) 429-2456 - fax
[url]www.uan.org[/url]

BenMax June 22nd, 2010 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;930090][B]TQ -[/B]It took about 45 minutes for me to hear the CBC broadcast with the stops and starts on dial-up :laughing:.....All I managed to pick up from it regarding the OSPCA, is that they were "[I]monitoring the situation [/I]which to me means they are doing ZILCH....I too, am monitoring the situation.

Did I miss something more concrete than that?[/QUOTE]

They know very well right now that if they were to take over this would hit the fan. They are late in reacting and there involvement at this point will be worse. I am certain that they have looked at all angles and know that if they were to step in at this point, they would be monitored greatly by organizations as to the outcome of each animal they have in their possession. If anything happened to even one animal, they would be exposed. Also, I think that they want to remove themselves because there is more poison to be found. If people are not involved with them, they can continue their crusade of neglect without answering to anyone. At this point I am certain that the worst thing for them is having more eyes to monitor their day to day business.

Just my :2cents: for what is worth.

Chris21711 June 22nd, 2010 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think your :2cents: is worth a pretty penny BenMax :thumbs up

I just have to post one more pic....the girl off to the side of the pic is brave/silly going into the bush in flip-flops, but bless her for being there.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]This is Lego getting his foot looked at :cloud9:[/COLOR]

[ATTACH]66759[/ATTACH]

Frenchy June 22nd, 2010 10:59 AM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;930122]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]This is Lego getting his foot looked at :cloud9:[/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]

awwwwww , Lego looks so cooperative ! :lovestruck:

BenMax June 22nd, 2010 11:28 AM

Damn it - [B]BLESS THESE PEOPLE[/B].

They are all heros in my eyes. Each of them!:thumbs up

Love4himies June 22nd, 2010 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;930125]awwwwww , Lego looks so cooperative ! :lovestruck:[/QUOTE]

Isn't he adorable :cloud9: :lovestruck:

[QUOTE=BenMax;930131]Damn it - [B]BLESS THESE PEOPLE[/B].

They are all heros in my eyes. Each of them!:thumbs up[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="6"][COLOR="Red"]YES THEY ARE![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Tundra_Queen June 22nd, 2010 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=NoahGrey;930036]Tundra Qween, the link you provided doesn't seem to be working...or it just might be my computer. Just very interested in seeing what OSPCA is telling them....grr[/QUOTE]

Noah sorry about that,,,it was working for me last night.

[QUOTE=chico2;930045]T-Q thank you!
I looked at all the 198 pics and I am sitting here crying,hubby comes in,asks"Who died now:confused:"
I cry because seeing all these dogs is overwhelming,seeing all these wonderful people,taking the initiative because of their love of animals,is amazing:grouphug:[/QUOTE]

chico I'm sorry it made u cry, but I understand what u mean. It's very sad and at the same time it's nice to see how wonderful human beings can be to animals in need. :grouphug:

[QUOTE=Love4himies;930057][url]http://www.cbc.ca/sudbury/media/audio/popup.html?http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/sudbury/ondemand/audio/feature_dogman_jun21.wma[/url]

Here is the link.

It states that the OSPCA is monitoring the situation :rolleyes:???? What about helping :frustrated:???[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the working link L4H. The OSPCA go in the bush? :laughing: There are millions of mosquitoes and blackflies up there! :laughing: You can see in one of those pics the person wearing a bug hat? Well that is so u don't lose your mind by the bugs! I have one too and a jacket when I use to work out in my gardens all the time and that was here in town,,never mind in the bush. OSPCA would never go up there during prime bug season! Hubs told me that lumberjacks working in the bush would go crazy from the bugs and have to be brought into the hospital. Lots of the moose and bears come out of the bush too and go into the river to get away from the bugs on really bad years.

Tundra_Queen June 22nd, 2010 05:45 PM

I just noticed that girl who is wearing sandals :crazy: she obviously has never been in the bush. I hope her feet will be ok.

Goldfields June 22nd, 2010 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;930235]
Thanks for the working link L4H. The OSPCA go in the bush? :laughing: There are millions of mosquitoes and blackflies up there! :laughing: You can see in one of those pics the person wearing a bug hat? Well that is so u don't lose your mind by the bugs! I have one too and a jacket when I use to work out in my gardens all the time and that was here in town,,never mind in the bush. OSPCA would never go up there during prime bug season! Hubs told me that lumberjacks working in the bush would go crazy from the bugs and have to be brought into the hospital. Lots of the moose and bears come out of the bush too and go into the river to get away from the bugs on really bad years.[/QUOTE]

Do all those mosquitoes and blackflies go after dogs too? I know mosquitoes here used to get after a lovely , but thin skinned mare we had once, she would be trotting around the paddock to try and get away from them, and would canter to me if she saw me coming with Aerogard fly repellant for her. The Aussie bush flies can give dogs Hell too, and ponies. They get at the tips of the dogs ears and ponies will bite their legs raw unless you spray them.