Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Senior cats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Put a feeding tube in or not, that is the question (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66603)

sugarcatmom November 17th, 2009 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;850169]Anyway her liver is good, her kidneys are as expected for a cat her age, but her pancreas is enlarged. The vet said, if you can see the pancreas it usually means problems?? So...it leaves me to believe she has pancreatitis.[/QUOTE]

Can you get the vet to send a sample of her blood out for a fPLI test? That tends to be a fairly accurate diagnostic for pancreatitis in cats. If she really does have it, pain killers are the most important part of treatment. There is some debate about whether or not a low fat diet helps (for some it might ease symptoms, in other cases it makes no difference). Lots of p'titis cats do well on some of the canned Merrick flavours, which have a moderate amount of fat.

tiggy2 November 17th, 2009 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;850202]Can you get the vet to send a sample of her blood out for a fPLI test? tends to be a fairly accurate diagnostic for pancreatitis in cats.[/QUOTE]

I will send her an email and see if the lab still has some of Tus's blood from the last test's we did and hopefully they can use that to do the test.

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;850202] she really does have it, pain killers are the most important part of treatment. [/QUOTE]

Would the stomach upset cause that much pain or is it some other type of pain? How can I tell if she's in pain aside from the acid indigestion she seems OK, maybe a little more distant lately.

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;850202] some debate about whether or not a low fat diet helps (for some it might ease symptoms, in other cases it makes no difference). Lots of p'titis cats do well on some of the canned Merrick flavours, which have a moderate amount of fat.[/QUOTE]

Ya I thought I read that somewhere about the fat diets, but if she'll eat them, what harm can it do? Might be good for my fat cats..yes??

Anyway just fed them all again, as I seem to spend a fair amount of time feeding the cats. I presume it still holds true for Tus on the frequent feedings? I try and get food in to her as late as possible to try and get her through the nite. Don't know if this helps or not.

I'll let you know on the test.

Any other med's or supplements to help her out?

tiggy2 November 17th, 2009 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=rjesak;850187]I so get it Tiggy!!! One of cats has completely different problems but I'm just so tired of worrying about him :sad: and trying to digest all the different information I'm getting:confused:. I just wanna be able to love on him and have that be enough! :laughing: Hang in there. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

I try.

and thank you for the kind words. It gets hard with multi cats and they are all getting just a little older.

I have 2 that are 8 years old ( known affectionally as the "kids") 2 that are 15 (the old dolls) and 1 that is 11, her 11 year old buddy died 2 years ago of unknown illness:((

sugarcatmom November 17th, 2009 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;850445]
Would the stomach upset cause that much pain or is it some other type of pain? How can I tell if she's in pain aside from the acid indigestion she seems OK, maybe a little more distant lately.[/quote]

The pain of pancreatitis comes from the inflamed pancreas itself. Since cats are so good at hiding their pain, and because pancreatitis is known to be extremely painful, pain meds should be given regardless of whether a cat is actually showing any overt signs.

[QUOTE=tiggy2;850445]
Any other med's or supplements to help her out?[/QUOTE]

There's a great link [url=http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,876722,876722]here[/url] with a brief overview of pancreatitis and some treatment options (although it's slanted towards diabetics, the info is still worthwhile).

Here's a link discussing the diagnostics used to recognize pancreatitis:
[url]http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/Pancreatitis.shtml[/url]

growler~GateKeeper November 18th, 2009 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;850169]Anyway her liver is good, her kidneys are as expected for a cat her age, but her pancreas is enlarged. The vet said, if you can see the pancreas it usually means problems?? So...it leaves me to believe she has pancreatitis.[/QUOTE]

A vet internist (one who speciailizes in the inside stuff) or a vet with a lot of experience with ultrasounds can see the pancreas even when there are no issues, but that generally holds true.

I second the suggestion to have the fTLI or the fPLI test run to give better diagnostics.

Some info here on [URL="http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/pancreatitis_test.html"]Pancreatitis[/URL] and fairly technical here [URL="http://www.hcvma.org/notes/SpeakerNotesDebZoran.pdf"]pancreatitis in pdf[/URL]

[QUOTE=tiggy2;850445]Would the stomach upset cause that much pain or is it some other type of pain? How can I tell if she's in pain aside from the acid indigestion she seems OK, maybe a little more distant lately.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest if you can write down what brand/flavour Tus eats each day & what her symptoms are that day - is she vomiting more or less, does she act more sick, feeling better, running around, sleeping more etc See if you can spot a trigger that makes her feel worse, that way you can eliminate some of the foods that cause worse symptoms.

:goodvibes:

tiggy2 November 19th, 2009 09:49 AM

update on Tus

I managed to obtain some pain med's., Ketoprofen 5mg (expensive drug, gee's almost $5.00 a pill), anyway I gave her 5mg suppertime yesterday and she seemed better last nite, but this morning she's in pain again. I'm supposed to give her 1 a day, but I gave her 1/2 a pill this morning cause she looks so miserable.

I'm also wondering if the increase in Amitriptyline is making her more dopy? She walks like she either in pain or really "stoned" or maybe a bit of both. I've increased the Amitriptyline from 5 mg a day to 5 mg twice a day in order to get her eating more. She's just skin and bones.

Also the vet is finding out if the lab has some of Tus's blood left from her last blood work. To get the fPLI test done it has to be sent to Ontario, I'm in NB and her blood is in PEI..some fun hey, so god only knows how long that's going to take:sad:

I do have one question? What is the prognoses with pancreatitis in a 15 year old cat? She seems to be going down hill quickly and if this is the case what can I do to make it at least better for her etc etc?

I have another cat with issues but I'll start another threat as it's my "boy" and he's now licking his belly bald:needhug: So have a look for "Licking his belly bald..now what?" and any advice for him would be appreciated

Thanks

Love4himies November 19th, 2009 10:19 AM

I noticed you are using Amytriptylne on your cat. What is the purpose of the vet giving that to your cat?

I had Sweet Pea on it and was told by my vet that this should only be used on healthy cats as it can have some pretty severe side effects, especially on the liver. I ended up taking her off of it because it made her aggressive.

Here is a link:

[url]http://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-amitriptyline-cats.html[/url]

tiggy2 November 19th, 2009 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;851172]I noticed you are using Amytriptylne on your cat. What is the purpose of the vet giving that to your cat?

I had Sweet Pea on it and was told by my vet that this should only be used on healthy cats as it can have some pretty severe side effects, especially on the liver. I ended up taking her off of it because it made her aggressive.

Here is a link:

[url]http://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-amitriptyline-cats.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on the side effects, makes sense why she's so dopy and drinking more.

The reason we put her on this is to get her to eat more and to lick at herself less. She has her back legs licked and gnawed bare.

If you know of any other appetite stimulants, let me know as the poor think is nothing but skin and bones.

sugarcatmom November 19th, 2009 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;851181]If you know of any other appetite stimulants, let me know as the poor think is nothing but skin and bones.[/QUOTE]

Mirtazapine. Works great, you only need to give it once every 3 days, and it suppresses nausea as well.

tiggy2 November 19th, 2009 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;851206]Mirtazapine. Works great, you only need to give it once every 3 days, and it suppresses nausea as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I've printed out the info on it and I'll pass it on to my vet and switch her over. The amytriptylne is really making her dopy, especially with the pain med's.

It might work with my "boy", Tig who has licked all his fur off his belly. Waste not:))

Any suggestions on pain med's as the ketoprofen is for short term only.

sugarcatmom November 19th, 2009 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;851227]Any suggestions on pain med's as the ketoprofen is for short term only.[/QUOTE]

Buprenex or a Fentanyl pain patch are safer for feline use than the NSAIDS are, so I would see if your vet has either of those available. Buprenex is either used as an injectable or sublingually but needs more frequent dosing (potentially every 8 hrs, depending on the level of pain). The pain patch is good for about 5 days once it's put on.

Here's some more info on pain management in cats: [url]http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2003&PID=6621&O=Generic[/url]

tiggy2 November 21st, 2009 11:13 AM

I have a question?

I'm presume this pancreatitis is fatal? Tus is not eating at all now and is sleeping a lot more. I can't believe how quickly she is going down hill. Is this normal?

I'm going to the store now and get some baby food to see if I can get her to eat that because I can't give her the pain med's unless she has food in her stomache:(

Any other suggestions on how to make her more comfortable as I can't stand to see her suffer, especially if there is no hope of recovery.

She maybe sleeping but I'm not:((

sugarcatmom November 21st, 2009 01:43 PM

Pancreatitis can sometimes be fatal, but not always. Supportive care is really the only treatment. I urge you to get a different pain med from your vet, I don't think the Ketoprofen is strong enough, and it has too many risky side effects. With something like Buprenex or Fentanyl, you don't need to wait for her to eat to administer it.

What about subQ fluids? That might also help her feel better. Vitamin B12 injections are worth considering and have no adverse effects.

Hang in there!! Cats can have an amazing ability to rebound from some pretty serious illnesses. :grouphug:

tiggy2 November 21st, 2009 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;851961]Pancreatitis can sometimes be fatal, but not always. Supportive care is really the only treatment. I urge you to get a different pain med from your vet, I don't think the Ketoprofen is strong enough, and it has too many risky side effects. With something like Buprenex or Fentanyl, you don't need to wait for her to eat to administer it.

What about subQ fluids? That might also help her feel better. Vitamin B12 injections are worth considering and have no adverse effects.

Hang in there!! Cats can have an amazing ability to rebound from some pretty serious illnesses. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

I'll have to wait until Monday as my vet is closed on Sunday's. I managed to get some baby food in to her, so now I'll pill her with the last pill I have. Tomorrow will not be fun either.

I'll ask about the shots and the subQ fluids, although she's drinking more now then ever, she sits by the water fountain or sleeps on her box by the window.

I don't know who will break first her or I. I'll let you know what happens

tiggy2 November 21st, 2009 11:49 PM

Hi again guys

Just wondering if I could give Tus prednisone tomorrow since I don't have any pain med's to give her and the one's I gave today will wear off by tomorrow am.

Would it help with her pain at all? Or is there any human pain med's I can give her to get her by until Monday.

I managed to get her to eat and I think it was helpful especially with the pain med's in her.

growler~GateKeeper November 22nd, 2009 02:49 AM

Prednisone is not going to be enough to manage pain, and you should never give human meds to cats some can be very very dangerous to them.

Does your vet have an answering service or is there an emergency vet in your area that would be open tomorrow that you can speak to regarding a refill on the meds?

tiggy2 November 23rd, 2009 10:42 AM

Hi again

I have a request into the vet for Tus to obtain some pain med's. She has not eaten since last nite, and that was only a small amount.

I've been reading about pancreatitis and some are saying to keep food away or to put a feeding tube in to give the pancreas a break. Obviously I can't not feed her as she is loosing weight as it is, but back to the feeding tube, especially since she won't eat again and now I have to find low fat foods.

So I ask again "to put a feeding tube in or not"?

Any suggestions on the low fat foods?

I just want the poor thing to get a little better, she's so miserable:(

sugarcatmom November 23rd, 2009 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;852753]
I've been reading about pancreatitis and some are saying to keep food away or to put a feeding tube in to give the pancreas a break. [/quote]

Withholding food is one of the treatment plans when dealing with acute pancreatitis in dogs, but it's not an option for cats. They must eat. Putting in a feeding tube does ensure that the cat is getting nutrients (doesn't give the pancreas a break though, there is still food that needs to be digested), but before going that route I'd make sure other options have been exhausted. Were you ever able to get any mirtazapine from the vet? This along with appropriate pain meds might help significantly.

[QUOTE=tiggy2;852753]now I have to find low fat foods.

Any suggestions on the low fat foods?[/quote]

You don't have to feed her [I]only[/I] low-fat foods, especially at this point where it's more important that she eat SOMETHING. Anything. What else have you tried? Will she eat plain yogurt, boiled chicken breast, cheese, low-sodium canned salmon? What about cat treats like Temptations or Greenies? Different flavours of baby food like beef or lamb? Whatever it takes to get her eating.

There is no scientific proof that a low-fat diet prevents pancreatitis in cats. This concept was transferred over from dogs and humans, but the thing is, cats aren't dogs or humans. They are designed to digest meat that is moderately high in fat (40-50%) and protein. Feeding something too low in fat will have other health consequences. Having said that, there are a couple foods that some p'titis cats anecdotally seem to do better on. Merrick Cowboy Cookout and Grammy's Pot Pie both have 42% of calories from fat. Pro Plan Turkey & Giblets is 39% and Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys Shredded Lean Turkey or White Meat Chicken are 34 and 35% respectively.

So basically, before considering a feeding tube, the things that need to be addressed are pain, hydration and nausea, and it's possible that Tus' appetite will come back in line. Mirtazapine will help with nausea and appetite. Subq fluids will ensure she's not suffering from dehydration, which can cause nausea. 1/4 10mg tablet of Pepcid AC (not Complete) can help deal with excess stomach acid if given 20-30 min before a meal. And then the all-important [I]suitable[/I] (ie not NSAIDs) pain medication.

Let us know what the vet says.

tiggy2 November 23rd, 2009 10:02 PM

Hi guys

Well I finally got in to see the vet 9 hours later, I made an appointment and brought Tus in. So she's in the vet's over nite for IV fluids again, and the possibility of the fTLI or the fPLI test done. She is going to talk to the lab and see what exactly these test will indicate as I don't want to fork out another $200.00 to find out that she has an enlarged pancreas. The vet thinks it might be cancer and if this is so than I need to take a different approach all together, but I need to know if it is cancer or is it pancreatitis.

She is also going to post her information on a Vet forum to see if anyone else can see something that she might have missed and post the ultrasound as well.

Basically we are trying to find a confirmed diagnoses so I can at least either treat her or just give her some comfort and dignity. Remember a week and 1/2 ago it was kidney failure:(( Now her pancreas.

So that's where I stand now. I hate to leave her there but if I can't get her to eat she needs some nutrients to keep her going and pain med's to make her comfortable.

With regards to the food, the baby food, (chicken/chicken both type) with low sodium tuna on top worked for a few bites, but when she refused the tuna and any treats I knew I was in trouble.

As for the pepid AC, I never thought to just give it to her 1/2 hour before her meal, I more or less gave it to her after the meals. I'll remember that one. Her breath smells acidic, especially if she has not eaten for awhile.

I'll let you know what's up with her tomorrow.

and of course my boy is still licking his belly raw:((( I've now started him on Tus's Amitriptyline to see if that helps as it did not work for Tus.

sugarcatmom November 23rd, 2009 10:54 PM

Glad she's at the vets for tonight. I hope the fluids help and she starts to feel better. :fingerscr

tiggy2 November 24th, 2009 07:53 PM

Well she's back from the vet:)

And drink, man she practically living by the water fountain. I thought with the IV fluids she would not want water?

Anyway we've sent blood off to get the test done for pancreatitis, should have that result in a couple of days.

My vet is also posting her history on a vet forum to see if anyone can come up with something a little more concrete. They are tossing about irritable bowel as well:(

We have a topical prednisone, which I put on her ear 2 times a day for now and the pepid ac and the rest of the antibiotics. We'll see how that goes. The #1 priority is to get her to eat and I'm hoping the prednisone will help with that.

So far she's had about a table spoon of food on her own. If that keeps up then I won't have to force feed her. We'll see how tomorrow goes, when I can feed her every 2 hours or so.

How much food should I be getting into her? I know she needs like 6oz, but I doubt I can get that much. Another words if I can't get her to eat on her own should I force feed her? I hate to do that.

Right now I'm feeding her the Wellness brand with tuna (a few flakes of low sodium) on top. She mostly eats around the tuna, as she's not to keen on chewing her food.

Any idea's as to what's up with that. When she eats it's like she's chewing her food or having a hard time getting the food down. She'll lick the food and then try and chew it like it's too dry? I water it extra for her as well.

Any suggestions on high energy or "good" food that I can give her to get her calories up? Baby food even, she seems to like the texture of that.

I guess it's another wait and see time and more time feeding:)

Thanks for all your:fingerscr

So far she's hanging in there

sugarcatmom November 24th, 2009 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853355]
We have a topical prednisone, which I put on her ear 2 times a day for now and the pepid ac and the rest of the antibiotics. We'll see how that goes. The #1 priority is to get her to eat and I'm hoping the prednisone will help with that.[/quote]

Prednisone [I]may[/I] help with appetite, but that effect might not be strong enough in her situation. Why not mirtazapine?

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853355]
How much food should I be getting into her? [/quote]

How much does she weigh?

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853355]When she eats it's like she's chewing her food or having a hard time getting the food down. She'll lick the food and then try and chew it like it's too dry? I water it extra for her as well.[/quote]

Did the vet take a good look at her mouth recently?

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853355]Any suggestions on high energy or "good" food that I can give her to get her calories up? Baby food even, she seems to like the texture of that.[/quote]

Hill's A/D is often used for animals with anorexia, and it's about the only Hill's product I would ever consider using. Has a very smooth texture and seems to be appealing to many cats. It's easy to mix with a bit of water and feed via syringe if you have to.

The canned food with the highest amount of calories is [url=http://rxpetfood.com/eukanubamaximumcaloriecaninefelinecan.aspx]Eukanuba Maximum Calorie[/url], at 57 per oz. You can only get this one and the A/D at the vet.

Have you tried feeding her Wellness Kitten? That and the Wellness Chicken are pretty high at 40 cal/oz.

Here is more info on assisted feeding:
[url]http://www.assistfeed.com/FelineAnorexia.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm[/url]

tiggy2 November 24th, 2009 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;853366]Prednisone [I]may[/I] help with appetite, but that effect might not be strong enough in her situation. Why not mirtazapine? [/QUOTE]

If the prednisone is not enough in a couple of days I'll get the mirtazapine. Right now it's hard to get her to eat pills with a treat and pilling her makes her gag. But I will request it on Thursday if appetite does not improve.

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;853366] much does she weigh?[/QUOTE]

Yesterday she weighted 9 pounds 2 oz's the week before she was 9.8 pounds so she lost 6 oz in a week:(

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;853366] Has the vet take a good look at her mouth recently?[/QUOTE]

A couple of weeks ago I had her in and we put her out to check her mouth and throat and there was nothing wrong there and she had her teeth done in Feb., the start of all this. I noticed her lack of eating and bad breath and attributed it to bad teeth.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;853366] Have you tried feeding her Wellness Kitten? That and the Wellness Chicken are pretty high at 40 cal/oz. [/QUOTE]

No, but I'll get a can. Should I be worried about the fat content due to her pancreas issues?

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;853366] Here is more info on assisted feeding:
[url]http://www.assistfeed.com/FelineAnorexia.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll check them out and get some tip, especially the "how much to feed" that really helps.

sugarcatmom November 24th, 2009 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853380]
Yesterday she weighted 9 pounds 2 oz's the week before she was 9.8 pounds so she lost 6 oz in a week:([/quote]

Generally, 20-30 calories per pound per day is the rough guideline, but for an inappetant cat, just getting even 50-60% of that in would be a good start. If you can convince Tus to eat about 3/4 of a can of A/D per day, I think that would really help.

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853380]Should I be worried about the fat content due to her pancreas issues?[/quote]

Right now, it's more important that she eat.

You've probably mentioned this, but what antibiotics is she on? These could be a big factor in her inappetance and I'd really be inclined to stop them unless there was a specific reason for her to be taking them.

tiggy2 November 25th, 2009 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;853407]Generally, 20-30 calories per pound per day is the rough guideline, but for an inappetant cat, just getting even 50-60% of that in would be a good start. If you can convince Tus to eat about 3/4 of a can of A/D per day, I think that would really help. [/QUOTE]

I'll have to check to see if the vet has that cat food. But in the mean time I'm hand feeding her and using the small 5oz can as a guide line. Whatever I can get her to eat. I can't obtain a lot of the different types of cat food here in NB. Like the wellness kitten. I can get the wellness regular and that's what I've been using so far. Found a "tuna" for cats and she's eating that right now. But of course that will change tomorrow.

So far only 1 "assisted" feeding:)) The rest hand fed:)) My hand stinks of cat food. I need to get some latex gloves.

Right now, it's more important that she eat.

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;853407] what antibiotics is she on? These could be a big factor in her inappetance and I'd really be inclined to stop them unless there was a specific reason for her to be taking them.[/QUOTE]

It's amoxil. and right now she won't take them with treats and to pill her makes her gag, so I've put them on hold until I can get the food intake up. I've finally got some Slippery Elm Bark in today. It says 1/4 tsp. Is that per day or per feeding?

So I guess it's stinking fish hands for awhile..the things we do for our pets:)):cat:

sugarcatmom November 25th, 2009 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853794]
So far only 1 "assisted" feeding:)) The rest hand fed:)) [/quote]

Yippee! That's great that she's getting some nutrition. Way to persevere!

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853794]I've finally got some Slippery Elm Bark in today. It says 1/4 tsp. Is that per day or per feeding?[/quote]

I'd start with about 1/8 tsp twice a day and see how she does. You can go up to 1/4 tsp 4x day if needed and if she tolerates it. If she won't eat it mixed with food, you can make a syrup and syringe a small amount into her mouth. That might also be soothing to her throat if she has some sort of issue with swallowing. The syrup recipe is at the bottom of this page: [url]http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm[/url]

[QUOTE=tiggy2;853794]So I guess it's stinking fish hands for awhile..[/QUOTE]

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do..... :thumbs up

tiggy2 November 27th, 2009 09:13 AM

Riddle me this:confused:

Tus is now back to not eating again, so it's "assisted" feeding, not a pleasant experience for either of us.

It seems when she has the IV fluids she's good for a day or two and then she declines after that. and becomes more dehydrated again.

So why does she become dehydrated when she is drinking probably more and of course the food she eats is wet and I add water to it?

I've put a request into the Vet to try SubQ fluids to see if that makes a difference and to give her appetite stimulant as well, cause when she eats and is hydrated she's like her old self again and now she's getting miserable again.:cry:

I don't want her to have to go into the vet's for the day for IV fluids again.

So any ideas as to why she becomes dehydrated?

Love4himies November 27th, 2009 11:08 AM

To me, if a cat who is getting fluids is also getting dehydrated it is because the kidneys are not concentrating the fluids. :shrug: Perhaps SCM will be on soon and answer your questions.

sugarcatmom November 27th, 2009 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;854415]So why does she become dehydrated when she is drinking probably more and of course the food she eats is wet and I add water to it?[/QUOTE]

Here's a lecture by Dr. Lee on the subject of PU/PD in pets:

[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52691[/url]

And another link:

[url]http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2002&PID=2556[/url]

sugarcatmom November 27th, 2009 02:41 PM

Forgot to mention that prednisone will also cause an increase in water consumption, but this was going on before Tus was put on steroids, correct?

growler~GateKeeper November 28th, 2009 12:38 AM

The cats kidneys process & filter water from the body, then recycle most of it back into the body, what is left is concentrated with the toxins for excretion so the urine in a normal healthy cat actually has little water content.

A cat that is chronically dehydrated will drink more to try to replace what they are losing through electrolyte imbalance & excess urination, the volume of urine output doesn't allow the body to catch up even though the cat is drinking high volumes.

Dehydration is not only the loss of water from the body but also the loss of electrolytes - body salts such as potassium & sodium they also get flushed out with the waste.

A cat with compromised kidneys is more likely to be dehydrated and is unable to concentrate the urine sufficiently so they need to drink & uriniate more to flush out the same amount of toxins that would normally be excreted with less urine.

Tus feels better directly after having fluids because it relieves the immediate symptoms of dehydration, flushes toxins faster, and generally makes her feel better. The IV & SubQ fluids is a delicate balance of not only sterile water but several electrolytes as well, so when Tus has fluid therapy not only is the water balance restored but so is the electrolyte balance.

A dehydrated cat will also refuse to eat in part because of the "stomach ache feeling" that happens when low on fluids but also in part because they just feel cr@ppy.

tiggy2 November 29th, 2009 09:45 AM

I have an appointment set up for monday to take Tus in for SubQ fluids and to have them show me how it's done. I'm hoping this will make the difference as I can't keep forcing her to eat 3-4 times a day. It's a battle every time.

Also I noticed when I feed her that she grinds her teeth. Sounds like she is chewing something, but of course there is nothing to chew so it has to be her teeth. Any idea on what that could be? It sounds awful and sounds like it could be painful?

Anyway, lets keep :fingerscr that this works as this is the last straw as I won't force a cat to eat every day, it's too painful on both of us. There has to be a reason why she does not want to eat and I don't feel comfortable forcing someone to eat when they don't want to all the time. I don't mind once in awhile but all the time??

I'm also going to get some Vit. B in her as well, hope that will help.

Of course there is the feeding tube???

I'm also hoping the test results will be back by Monday as I'm still waiting to see if it's pancreatitis. <sigh>

sugarcatmom November 29th, 2009 12:52 PM

Good luck tomorrow. Here's an excellent primer on giving subQ fluids if you haven't already seen it: [url]http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/stuff/pets/cats/sophia/catjuice.html[/url]
Growler and I can also help you if you have any questions. One thing the vets never seem to mention is that it really helps if you warm the fluids first.

Also, it's time to get some mirtazapine. And if the fPLI shows pancreatitis, some better pain meds. If those don't work, perhaps a feeding tube would be the way to go.

tiggy2 November 29th, 2009 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;855088]Good luck tomorrow. Here's an excellent primer on giving subQ fluids if you haven't already seen it: [url]http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/stuff/pets/cats/sophia/catjuice.html[/url]
Growler and I can also help you if you have any questions. One thing the vets never seem to mention is that it really helps if you warm the fluids first.

Also, it's time to get some mirtazapine. And if the fPLI shows pancreatitis, some better pain meds. If those don't work, perhaps a feeding tube would be the way to go.[/QUOTE]

I agree on the mirtazapine and if that does not work than it's a feeding tube, but only if it will make a difference. I don't want to prolong her life if it's painful or no hope beyond another month or two. I expect she has been sick for the better part of a year and nothing seems to be making her better or more comfortable:cry:

So Monday will be another information day with I hope the test results.

I can't see myself putting Tus through force feedings and Subq fluids with no positive results, to me it's like torturing the poor girl and then life becomes not a lot of fun:( Does that make sense?

growler~GateKeeper November 30th, 2009 12:07 AM

[QUOTE=tiggy2;855061]Also I noticed when I feed her that she grinds her teeth. Sounds like she is chewing something, but of course there is nothing to chew so it has to be her teeth. Any idea on what that could be? It sounds awful and sounds like it could be painful?[/QUOTE]

Teeth grinding is a symptom of either the dehydration or the stomach acid, since Tus had her teeth checked not long ago we can rule that out. It does sound awful but it's not painful, Duffy used to do it before we got started on regular fluid therapy & worked in a few little things to help with stomach acid, Duffy never had a big problem with s.a. so raising the food & water dishes btwn 3-5 inches off the ground, more frequent feeding, adding a late night feeding helped to calm that down.

Fluid therapy is not as scary as it may look & as scm mentions definately warm the fluids first :goodvibes:

tiggy2 November 30th, 2009 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=growler;855291]Teeth grinding is a symptom of either the dehydration or the stomach acid, since Tus had her teeth checked not long ago we can rule that out. It does sound awful but it's not painful, Duffy used to do it before we got started on regular fluid therapy & worked in a few little things to help with stomach acid, Duffy never had a big problem with s.a. so raising the food & water dishes btwn 3-5 inches off the ground, more frequent feeding, adding a late night feeding helped to calm that down.

Fluid therapy is not as scary as it may look & as scm mentions definately warm the fluids first :goodvibes:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for addressing the teeth chewing, god it awful. It sounds like she is chewing something plastic:yuck:

Do you think the SubQ will help her eat. I'm concerned that she won't last much longer without food. The most I can get into her is about 20-30 ML a Day, and that's not enough to keep a bird alive not alone a cat:sick:

I don't want to wait too long before I have to go with a feeding tube and the force feeding is exactly that force feeding:(

nljnky November 30th, 2009 11:19 AM

Mirtazapine had my cat eating the first day I gave it to her.
Please try it.

tiggy2 November 30th, 2009 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=nljnky;855361]Mirtazapine had my cat eating the first day I gave it to her.
Please try it.[/QUOTE]

Can't get it here it seems. So it's onto another drug that is similar to the drug I just gave her that did not work, just made her dopy. So I'm not holding out much hope for that.

tiggy2 November 30th, 2009 05:07 PM

Update.

Tus is now down to 8 pounds 15 oz's from 9.2 last week. Got the subQ fluids in her this afternoon no issues there, but this force feeding is not working.

She now shakes and grows and spits it out along with the teeth grinding. So I'm at my wits end. If she doesn't eat soon she'll die from starvation.:cry:

Anyone have any other suggestions on the "assisted feeding", cause right now it's torture on both of us.

Love4himies November 30th, 2009 05:23 PM

So why aren't you putting a feeding tube in?

Whoops wrong thread