Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Kitten health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Pregnant Kitten? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67586)

catlover2 January 1st, 2010 05:43 PM

I'm glad you got her spayed. She should bounce back quickly. She is way too young to have kittens. Lucky you! Manx are very special cats.

Guess I won't have to give you my boots now! :)

Love4himies January 1st, 2010 06:04 PM

Good choice, bailey :thumbs up. She was much too young to have kittens, plus there are way too many cats that are looking for homes.

Can't wait for the pics. :cat:

bendyfoot January 1st, 2010 06:14 PM

you did the right thing.

glad it's over and done with and that she's coming home soon :grouphug:

14+kitties January 1st, 2010 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Bailey_;867692]
:laughing::angel:

I may or may not have already started the process of adopting her. Much to DH's dismay. :rolleyes:

Pictures soon, once we get her home.[/QUOTE]

Whoo Hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's weird the rescue didn't have her to a vet to find out how old she may be before placing her in a foster situation. I was going on the premise that she was only four months old. Not six or more.

Ker13 January 3rd, 2010 10:36 AM

:) well done for dealing with it respectfully and appropriately. And good on you for catching it too - I'm not sure I would have. Better now than too late...

Magsie January 4th, 2010 07:50 AM

We got out cat when she was around 3 or 4 months old. Fat belly and 5 kittens later we realised she was pregnant ! So it is possible that she is pregnant it happens that young at times !

rjesak January 4th, 2010 12:52 PM

One of my cats was mis-aged by the shelter as well. I had her first vet's appointment scheduled for Friday (I got her on the weekend) when she went into heat - she was supposed to be only 3 months old). The vet said that since she was probably already preggers (I got her un-neutered bro at the same time), the spay didn't really need to be rushed anymore. When he did the spay, he aborted what he thought were probably 3-4 fetuses.

Similar situation though - he didn't think she'd survive the pregnancy and the kittens might've been off since they were brother and sister parents (we have since come to suspect that THEIR parents may have been brother and sister too although maybe they're just really dumb cats. :laughing:

Chaser January 4th, 2010 06:15 PM

Good job on catching it before her health was put at risk. Glad to hear she's so happy and healthy :)

Bailey_ January 5th, 2010 12:14 PM

Thanks everyone!! I'm having internet issues at home, so I wasn't able to check this until today.

Loca is doing great. She came home on the weekend and is back to her old self after only one day of laying low and resting. She has become incredibly social over the past few weeks that she's been with us, which is quite the change from when we first brought her home. This kitten is literally ruling our home and everyone in it! :)

[QUOTE] It's weird the rescue didn't have her to a vet to find out how old she may be before placing her in a foster situation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, normally I don't think this happens, although this is only our second foster so I'm not sure? I know our coordinator told us that this time of year there are just so many cats and dogs that need to find homes that first priority for vet visits have been going to animals that people are adopting. (Unless there is an obvious health issue). When we brought Loca home we were instructed to keep her quarantined until her vet visit, which we did. It didn't take that long for them to get her in, but I have a feeling she would've probably easily have waited another week had she not have had immediate serious medical concerns that needed looking after.

Pictures to follow as soon as I get internet back up and running at home! :D