Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dog at Mile 26 (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70801)

Chris21711 December 10th, 2010 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=Winston;970513]Chris I got mine the other day and I love them! they did a great job! I bought some for Christmas Prezzies so I hope they like them! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Finally I went to the PO yesterday Winston and got the ones I had ordered...such quality in the type of paper/stock used :thumbs up.....the only thing I wish is that the double page of multi photos were in the middle, that way it could be used as a poster. Other than that it was A1....So many stories untold.....they need to publish a book.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Keeping my fingers crossed for Ella Blue :pray:[/COLOR]

[B]There are still dogs available for adoption from Mile 26 that are looking for a home :cloud9:[/B]

Love4himies December 11th, 2010 07:28 AM

I got my calendars at the PO last week. The poor postal clerk had to look at the calendar with me and listen to the story behind their rescue :o.

Chris21711 December 11th, 2010 05:55 PM

Kudos to you for sharing L4H :thumbs up

Chris21711 December 17th, 2010 06:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Abitibi......a feral bush dog :cloud9:

[ATTACH]70927[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]70928[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]70929[/ATTACH]

I just had to share :lovestruck:

luckypenny December 17th, 2010 07:28 PM

Looks like the cats are pretty feral too :eek:.

:D, what a sweet, sweet family :cloud9:.

Chris21711 December 17th, 2010 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=luckypenny;971614]Looks like the cats are pretty feral too :eek:.

:D, what a sweet, sweet family :cloud9:.[/QUOTE]

The photos are just too adorable :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

Love4himies December 17th, 2010 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;971604]Abitibi......a feral bush dog :cloud9:

[ATTACH]70927[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]70928[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]70929[/ATTACH]

I just had to share :lovestruck:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=luckypenny;971614]Looks like the cats are pretty feral too :eek:.

:D, what a sweet, sweet family :cloud9:.[/QUOTE]
Yup, looks pretty feral to me too :cloud9::lovestruck::cloud9::lovestruck:

chico2 December 18th, 2010 10:23 AM

Chris,those pics are amazing,silly me,I got all teary-eyed:loser:
Tooo sweet,the kitties are absolutely adorable too:lovestruck::cloud9:

cpietra16 December 18th, 2010 10:49 AM

I think we need to re-define the word Ferel....I am so confused:rolleyes:
Please keep an eye out on this situation, you can never, never predict what a ferel furball can do....:D

TeriM December 18th, 2010 11:21 PM

Those are definately some of the most adorable pictures I have ever seen :cloud9:.

Chris21711 December 28th, 2010 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought this was a lovely photo to share....this is [B]Honey [/B]some of you may remember that she was being fostered in Toronto and a train whistle caused her to startle and she took off, to be found two days later....This is her in her permanent home:

[ATTACH]71197[/ATTACH]

The magazine [B]Dogs, Dogs, Dogs [/B]is doing a story on the Mile 26 dogs, hopefully it will help generate donations since there are still quite a few of the adult dogs still awaiting adoption.

Why one of the Toronto newspapers didn't pick this story up is beyond me, it really could of helped.

14+kitties December 28th, 2010 12:33 PM

I keep checking in on this thread. I love all of the pics you have posted Chris. :grouphug: Abitibi and the kitties - :cloud9:.
Thanks to L4H :grouphug: and her wonderful gift of one of the calendars I was able to share the Mile 26 story with my family at Christmas. It probably would have made more of an impact if I could have made it through the calendar without crying whilst trying to explain the pictures. Seeing poor Moe's little face just about did me in. And the dogs on the tracks - speaks of it's own special love.
For the ones that have passed - they are now in a better place. Most likely reunited with their saviour. :cloud9: We can only hope for that when it is our turn.

chico2 December 28th, 2010 05:06 PM

14+,I agree the Toronto Star should have picked up this amazing rescue,but maybe it's not too late.
Moe was a heartbreaker for sure

Chris,Honey looks really happy,she's a lucky girl:cloud9:

Chris21711 January 6th, 2011 06:52 PM

Mile 26 dogs reunited

2 Attachment(s)
Kitchie (L) and Nellie (R)........Kitchie has been adopted by the same family that adopted Nellie :highfive:

[ATTACH]71375[/ATTACH]

And as a next door neighbour, they have Little Anne :highfive:

[ATTACH]71374[/ATTACH]

Winston January 6th, 2011 07:03 PM

Chris that is awesome news! The neighbour is a cutie pie too!

Chris21711 January 6th, 2011 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Winston;974863]Chris that is awesome news! The neighbour is a cutie pie too![/QUOTE]

Little Anne was from Mile 26 also Winston.

chico2 January 7th, 2011 09:02 AM

Chris,just look at Nellie's beautiful senior face:cloud9:Kitchie and Anne look wonderful too,what lucky pooches to be adopted by great people:thumbs up

Love4himies January 7th, 2011 09:50 AM

I am so happy for them, Chris. This is just wonderful that they can still be with some of their pack :thumbs up

I wish I could do more for them and would love to have one of their dogs, but I just can't while I have my kitties :(

Chris21711 January 7th, 2011 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;975044]I am so happy for them, Chris. This is just wonderful that they can still be with some of their pack :thumbs up

I wish I could do more for them and would love to have one of their dogs, but I just can't while I have my kitties :([/QUOTE]

Me too L4H....I've always had a thing for Dakota, he is still available for adoption....it's just not doable though with Iggy and the New Kid here now....Pepe would have a bird :(

14+kitties January 7th, 2011 12:00 PM

Look at Nellie's face in that second picture. If that doesn't say it all - :cry:. She looks so happy with that gentle smile of her face.

Mile26volunteer January 10th, 2011 12:02 AM

Been there

Okay for everyone that has posted to the Mile 26 dog issue; first of all ive been there i saw how he lived. Second do you really think a dog cannot take care of itself against another animal? Third they live in pack, Jean Luc loved his pets and if you were to ever go there and pass it you would see that all was dog food. He didnt have the money to neuter his pets, his pets were abandoned animals from Moosonee left to die, almost killed ect. So in a way he is a hero. The OSPCA did nothing that is true but agents did come up with us to actually see what was going on. Not many but a few. THAT is an accomplishment.

Dogs do know how to protect themselves. Yes it is sad that this happened, it is sad that some were killed by the train. But those numbers are very very low. And to the comment of bears and other animals being there....yes there is but jean Luc fed the bears about 3 miles away from his home on either side so by habit they didnt go near the cabins, and they are dogs if needed themselves and their packs would defend themselves.

cpietra16 January 10th, 2011 07:41 AM

thank-you Mile26volunteer, but your post sounds like you are upset. I can't talk for the others but I lived in a remote village on Vancouver Island and saw first hand how powerful a pack a dogs can be. Their instinct is to survive and they do that very well. As far as Jean Luc, I think he did what he could and he was definately a hero to all the dogs that he looked after. It is sad that so many people abandoned their dogs in the first place. Jean Luc was only one person. It is sad that a tragedy has to happen for help to arrive. :shrug:

Love4himies January 10th, 2011 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=Mile26volunteer;975715]Okay for everyone that has posted to the Mile 26 dog issue; first of all ive been there i saw how he lived. Second do you really think a dog cannot take care of itself against another animal? Third they live in pack, Jean Luc loved his pets and if you were to ever go there and pass it you would see that all was dog food. He didnt have the money to neuter his pets, his pets were abandoned animals from Moosonee left to die, almost killed ect. So in a way he is a hero. The OSPCA did nothing that is true but agents did come up with us to actually see what was going on. Not many but a few. THAT is an accomplishment.

Dogs do know how to protect themselves. Yes it is sad that this happened, it is sad that some were killed by the train. But those numbers are very very low. And to the comment of bears and other animals being there....yes there is but jean Luc fed the bears about 3 miles away from his home on either side so by habit they didnt go near the cabins, and they are dogs if needed themselves and their packs would defend themselves.[/QUOTE]

I am not quite sure what your point is :confused:, you sound like you are upset with us and all we have done is support the rescue effort :shrug:, perhaps I am wrong :confused:.

Anyways, thank your for helping these poor pups out. :grouphug:

14+kitties January 10th, 2011 08:36 AM

Would you rather the dogs would have been left there to fend for themselves? :confused: I, like the others, am confused. Survival of the fittest? I don't think Jean Luc has ever been portrayed as anything but a hero in our eyes. :shrug: Again, thanks for adding your opinion. I am just not sure why you did. As far as I am concerned this thread is a loving memorial to Jean Luc and his pups.

chico2 January 10th, 2011 09:55 AM

Mile26V,thank you for posting:grouphug:I too sense you are upset about something,maybe something from our Forum:shrug:

We have all followed this story from day 1 and have been amazed by the time and effort put in by so many wonderful people to rescue these dogs,yourself included.
We had tears of happiness and tears of sadness,sadness for Moe who died in a Beaver-Trap...for Jen Luc who did everything he could to help.
I am sure he is smiling down on all the rescuers and adopters for saving his dogs.
Chris21711 has kept us updated with pictures and news,for which we are very grateful,absolutely no ill feelings other than towards the people who abandoned these dogs in the first place.

Chris21711 January 10th, 2011 06:40 PM

I'm also confused with [B]Mile26volunteer's[/B] post.....I can't fathom the point :confused:

BenMax January 11th, 2011 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;975833]I'm also confused with [B]Mile26volunteer's[/B] post.....I can't fathom the point :confused:[/QUOTE]

I would not put emphasis on it Chris. In rescue you see those that rescue based on a passion to help, almost a calling and not asking for recognition or a pat on the back..they do it because it is like taking a breathe. There are others in rescue or who are involved in rescue that seek out attention or need to fulfill a need. So really, thank you Chris for being one of those soldiers that keep us all informed on the happenings in this case. Without your input we would never be the wiser.

To the OP - not sure exactly what your point is. If you were there, then kudos to you. It would have been refreshing to hear all the happenings around this incident pertaining to the rescue itself.

BenMax January 21st, 2011 09:51 AM

Too cute! Thanks Chris for keeping us all in the loop!

Chris21711 January 21st, 2011 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Little Anne taking a snooze....she loves her togs :cloud9:

[ATTACH]71707[/ATTACH]

Sorry about that BM....lordy it was too tiddley :o

Love4himies January 21st, 2011 10:42 AM

Oh that is so sweet :cloud9::lovestruck::cloud9: