Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant stray kitty!?!

plutonicshore
December 1st, 2004, 02:01 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've got a question and I'd greatly appreciate it if someone helped me out with this.

There is this female stray kitty here in my apt. complex (that I'd say is no older than a year) and I've tried bringing her in and homing her but she won't have it. Although she's so sweet, she just... I've had cats all my life and there is just no way. However, she stays outdoors and I feed her and look after her BUT....

Here's the thing. 1) I'm not sure if I should call a shelter or something to have her fixed? Also, I think she might be pregnant. I haven't had much time to explore but she seemed like her belly was bigger so I felt it and it was hard and very round. I really really want another cat because since I've moved out of my parents, my 7 year old cat that I took with me is lonely when we're working all day. So if she is pregnant, I... I don't know what to do. Let nature do its thing? Take her somewhere? I want the kittens to be safe if she really is pregnant and I really want one! I'm sure there are people on here who have some great advise on what to do. She really is a sweetie. I know an apartment complex isn't the best place for a kitty.

I know if she's pregnant her nipples will swell and she'll loose her appetite and she'll find a shelter. How do I know for sure? Thanks... I really appreciate your help!

CyberKitten
December 1st, 2004, 02:21 AM
There are ways to tell if a cat is pregnant but it'd best to get her inside regardless of her status! More so if you is expecting young ones though!!

You can obtain a pet friendly trap at any rescue group or buy one yourself at most pet stores. Tomahawk lie traps, found here are very good: http://www.livetrap.com/

Is she searching for a nesting area?
Has she gained weight or is she gaining weight? (Weight gain only appars until the 5th month though - typically)
I know you do not have her inside BUT I will ask this anyway. Do you notice her throwing up from time to time, esp the morning? (I know, this one should be so obvious, lol , but kittiessometimes have morning sickness because their bodies arenít used to larger uterine organs.
Does she demand more food? Does she seem hungrier? (Alas, this will means she is closer to birth!!!)
Is she quieter than she used to be - of you saw her around before - and is she quieter than other cats in the vicinty?

I would try to get her in as soon as you possibly can!! And feed her high quality kitten food (Eagle Brand is good as her some other brands people have mentioned on here). I also like Wellness, Dr. Foster and Smith and Nutro Natural. Moms should eat kitten formulat because it has more feline vitamins in it.

My kitten was on Hills Science diet but I slowly changed her to Wellness and she likes it and the occasional Fancy Feast tin of wet food.

Good luck in getting the kitty! (and helping her and her little ones, if she is expecting)

I hope this helps!!

Is she vocalizing loudly? (This is more if she is in heat

heeler's rock!
December 1st, 2004, 12:15 PM
I too hope you can catch this kitty before her little ones arrive! My kitty that we just got was pregnant and we had to have the kitties aborted. It was a very sad thing to do, but most of the members here will tell you that it's the right thing to do. Too many kitties end up homeless and I know you want a kitten, (who doesn't?), but the rest of the kittens could end up with people that just don't care and won't have them spayed or nutered, and then more homeless kittens are born. I would try and capture her, take her to the SPCA and say that if noone claims her, that you would like to adopt her. Then they'll take care of the medical costs and have her spayed, and unfortunately, most likely have her kittens aborted. I know it's hard, but it's something that has to be done. Good luck and let us know how you're making out! :o