- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Help! My cat just ate a chocolate brownie!

November 30th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Should I take him to the vet? I literally just put it down, turned away, and he was on it. He ate maybe a tablespoon. Should I be worried?

November 30th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Call them and see what they say first... it may be ok, or maybe they'll tell you what to give him now, food wise. Let us know what happens!

November 30th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I just talked to the vet. Apparently it is the dark chocolate which is harmful, and in fairly large quantities. Even if it was the dark kind (I didn't make them) they think he's probably OK. I'm observing him closely though (to his annoyance). He was just neutered yesterday. Talk about 'back to normal'!

November 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Well if I was just neutered yesterday, I would want brownies too!
I'm glad he's gonna be ok. :D

November 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Chocolate is not good for any pet but rarely does one indulgence result in a tragedy....

..unless I was not invited.

*note. I do not like Chocolate*

November 30th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Awww, poor baby! He probably thought he deserved chocolate!!! Seriously, I hope he'll be OK. He should be fine but I wiould watch him for the "signs" vets suggest. Here are two pages listing what to watch fir: (But you know your kitty so will know what is normal):

Give him a hug and a petting for me (and a hug for yourself from me too!!)

Good luck!!!

November 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Good I'm very happy to hear everything is okay :) I remember that Oprah episode where they spoke of a small dog that ate a big bag of some kinda chocolate and almost died, so I think it does take a rather large quantity to be fatal but I don't blame you Badger for not taking any chances

November 30th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Just wanted to let you know...My vet had told me at one point in time to give my dog some vegetable oil/canola oil....this will help flush the toxins out and fast do not give much because this will cause diarrhea!!! :D Maybe a teaspoon or so

heeler's rock!
November 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
YIKES! My dog ate a bag of milk chocolate once. I panicked and it was like 11:30 at night! I called the vet and they said to feed her a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomitting. I didn't have any, so I had to give her a tablespoon of salt instead. Well, she ate the salt!! She actually liked it! GROSS! Anyways, I took her to the emergency vet which was on the other side of Calgary, and they kept her overnight. They said she had moderate chocolate poisoning and induced vomitting, but didn't have to do any major work on her. Thank goodness for pet insurance! They reimbursed 80% of the bill! :) I'm glad that your kittie is gonna be okay!!!!! :D

December 1st, 2004, 07:21 AM
My sister's dog has eaten two full pans of brownies already and a box not even made yet and was fine... he had the runs after but was okay. Bad doggie! Maybe bad sister for leaving them out after the first time! :rolleyes: :D

December 1st, 2004, 07:59 AM
He is fine. Thanks everyone. Reminds me of a young friend long ago who threw a party while his parents were away. At the end of the evening, the remains of a pan of hash brownies was left out where the family dog could get it. She was this big overweight part border collie, like a rolled-up rug, and quite jumpy to begin with. They woke next morning to the sound of the dog doing laps up and down the stairs in this old 3-story house. She was completely strung out, poor thing. Anyway, she recovered, and died years later of old age.

December 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM
Re: Well, she ate the salt!! She actually liked it! GROSS!

Much to my utter dismay, Yin Yin also likes salt. She dove into the popcorn and while alarmed, I thought "Oh well, she'll be out of there in a second." No go once she discovered the stuff was salty. So I had to keep it out of reach of her. I doubt it would have hurt her but too much salt can't be good, even for little kittens!!

December 1st, 2004, 08:29 AM
Badger,I assume you are talking about Simon......I'm sure he'll be ok..
My little piggy,Vinnie,who eats anything....sits and drools and looks at me with his funny odd-eyes every time I have a piece of choclate,I am bad,because I let him have ONE lick,which of course only encourages him to beg for more :love:

December 1st, 2004, 07:40 PM
I had an unfrosted chocolate cake still in the pan that I was going to frost after it was cool. Puss-Puss carefully ate the soft crust off the top of it. Ate it off clean - clear across the whole cake! Didn't hurt her. The amount of actual chocolate is pretty small. She also likes the sweet liquid that sometimes accumulates on top of pumpkin pies. :evil: She's a naughty one! I have to be careful where I put things.

April 3rd, 2018, 01:58 AM
Cats are very curious, so much that you have to monitor a lot what they put in their mouths. There are several foods that are toxic to them, so it is important that we give them only what they can eat, otherwise they could have very serious problems. :crazy: