Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got a New Puppy!!! and a question

Apple
November 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
SOOOOO excited.

Ok, before anyone jumps down my throat let me explain! I have a puppy, she is almost 2 (she will always be my puppy) and is a GSD. I wanted to get another dog so I went down to the local humane society every week for a couple of months, I searched the websites and talked to rescues and put my name on lists to foster etc. etc. Every time I went to the humane society they said no – this dog is no good with cats, this dog is other dog aggressive, this dog is no good with kids (since I have cats, another dog and kids that just doesn’t work), this dog doesn’t like men (I still fail to see how that is a fault and I was seriously considering that dog . . . keep the ex husband away).

So FINALLY, I am at the humane society last week and there is the loveliest little 5 month old Alaskan Malamute. I waited forever, put in my application, he (the same man I see almost every week) finally said YES (I was beginning to think he couldn’t say that word) and I met the dog. She is an owner surrender, they said she is nippy and afraid of women. Well she is so afraid of women that she parked herself in my lap while I was sitting on the floor. Of course she is nippy, she is a PUPPY – teething. Dumb people. So I brought my dog and my kids to meet her the next day and she is now home with us. We have had her since Thursday night.

On a side note, I am fairly sure this dog has been hit, she is terrified of hands if I move too quickly and a whole host of other things that I don’t want to get into right now. Needless to say I am glad I don’t know who her original owners were.

Ok so back to excited. I got a new puppy. So happy, such a total Velcro dog, full of kisses. Bring her home – happy, happy, happy. And she poops on my rug five times on Friday – NOT so happy anymore. She has the runs, not diarrhea, just the runs. She is stressed, I know this quite common and I am sure all of this has been a huge ordeal for the little darling. She has been dewormed and has been pronounced in good health.

I am wondering, what can I do to help her with this adjustment and get her to stop pooping on my rug?

Also, I need a name for her!!!! We cannot come up with one. Anyone have a suggestion? She is white and dark grey.

Thanks in advance for your help!

lezzpezz
November 30th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Hooray! A new baby! Congratulations!

For the poopy part, you can consult a vet to see if you can give her a bit of pepto bismol to settle her down in that department. Not too much, as she is young and small. Talk to the vet or the place where you got her. They will be able to give you the appropriate dosage for her size. Also, are you feeding her the same diet she had at the shelter or did you suddenly change her food? That would be hard on the system. It would be good if she had the same food and you gradually change it over to the new food.

As for new names, I found this nice website for malamute naming:

http://www.wayeh.com/aboutsleddogs/names.htm

Have fun!

VickyK
November 30th, 2004, 03:34 PM
For starters, you can give her boiled rice water (with the rice) to calm her diarrhea. Add a little hamburger meat if she wont eat it. That should stop the diarrhea in its tracks. I've never heard of giving a dog pepto, and frankly I dont like the idea. I myself dont take it cause for one it makes your stool black (which doctors mistake for internal bleeding), and it may constipate. Did you ask what they were feeding her where you bought her? Maybe the sudden change of disrupted her system? As for housetraining, their are many methods out there. An internet search will definetly turn up tons of results and you can also check out this site :
http://www.prah.com/focus/fs_housetrain.htm

Sneaky2006
November 30th, 2004, 03:39 PM
I took Pepto one time and I will never do it again. It also turned my tongue black and left the nastiest taste in my mouth! :o :(
I don't think a pup would like it either.

mastifflover
November 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Congrats on the new baby. Another good thing for the runs is pure pumpkin puree not pie filling it is a great binder for them. Pepto Bismal is okay for dogs but just check with your vet for the dosage. I would start by feeding your new baby rice and boiled chicken and find out what they were feeding her and mix it in with the rice and chicken and slowly start to take out the rice and chicken. I am sure the runs are stress related. My dog was abused and scared to death of men, very hand shy and almost a year later he still has moments where I will reach for something and he will hit the floor, he still has fear but very seldom now. It takes a lot of time but once she feels safe and more secure in her surroundings she will start to come around. If you have any questions regarding making her feel safe you can pm this is my 3rd abused dog so I am starting to really find what works and what doesn't. You will be so happy you put the effort and love into this dog she will give it back a thousand times over.

whinnie-boo
November 30th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Believe it or not, most of that expensive medication your vet is giving you, is in actuality, the same medication we use.
My Best friend is a reg. Vet technician, and she lets me in on little tidbits of info like that. My vet was charging me something like $45.00 for allergy med's, come to find, I'm actually giving her Benadryl. So, I'd always reccommend to consult your Vet before giving anything to your dog. But, for the most part, the doctors gonna give you the same thing you can buy at the local pharmacy for your 2 legged children, just in a different package. :sick:

Apple
November 30th, 2004, 10:05 PM
HI everyone and thanks for your responses. We got a semi solid poop tonight and then another one loose. We are not feeding her the same food as they fed her at the shelter. I was unable to get any the night we got her so we just put her straight on Wellness which is what my older dog is fed. I know that is part of the problem. Housebreaking isn't really a problem, she is doing ok and we are crate training. I am sure she pooped on the floor because she simply couldn't hold it. She has not done that since Friday (thank god).

As for the abuse. I am not positive she was, maybe I am just being cynical. I just don't get how anyone can give up such a lovely puppy after only having her for 3 months and say she is nippy. They obviously knew nothing about dogs. She is just teething. She wouldn't go pee on the grass for the first 2 days, would only go on cement which makes me think she probably spent most of her time in a run. She was terrified to come for walks with me, I am not sure if it is because she thought I was bringing her back to the shelter.

She and my other puppy are getting along fairly well. They have thier moments as the older dog gets a little snitty if the baby comes in HER bedroom (funny, I thought it was mine) but we are working on that. I hate this ducking from the hands thing though.

I saw that sleddogs site, my daughter doesn't like any of them. I loved Windy Sue though, the only other living thing I have met with as much gas as this dog is my ex husband LOL so I am thinking of naming her after him ;)

Thanks all for your help, we are trying the rice thing, someone else suggested that too.

DogueLover
November 30th, 2004, 11:35 PM
I thought about this for a bit and since she is a malamute why don`t you call her chinook?
Another name that came to mind is SABRE.

Just suggestions