Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feline cysts on back and right side

blueeyes3479
November 30th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Hi I am new to this board and am in hopes that someone can help me out here. About 2 weeks ago we found 3 cysts on the back of our cat - very hard, with no oozing. One was located near the spine towards the tail, the others down the side towards the hip on the right side. With in a few days another cyst appeared and this was on the middle region of the side. We did bring the cat in to the vet and received a call back today on the test results....there was no diagnosis made other than the fact of possibilities such as cancer, or early kidney disease. To me I can not understand why there would be cysts on the back if this were from a kidney disease. Maybe the results can help you understand what the likelihood of what the outcome for a very loveable cat is.+

BUN we were told a normal high is 36 troubles were at 56
Creatinine we were told a normal high is 2.4 troubles were at 2.3
Lymphocytes we were told a normal low is 1200 troubles were at 817

With the test results and the cysts please help me understand the likelihood of what to expect whether this could be more possibly cancer or kidney failure. To me I assume cancer, but, maybe I am wrong. Has anyone else had this type of issue with their cat.

Thank you,
Blueeyes3479

Lucky Rescue
November 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I don't know what those numbers mean, but I'm sure someone else here will.

What tests did your vet do?

Did he do a biopsy on any of the lumps? That would tell if they are malignant or not.

And a blood test would indicate any degree of kidney failure.

heeler's rock!
November 30th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I'm very shocked that your vet didn't go over the test results with you!! Most people are not trained to know what their pet's test results mean, and that's why vets are there, to help make sense of them! I also have no clue about the numbers, but we discovered a cyst on my dog a while ago, and they did a biopsy and told me it was malignant. Another thing about her cyst is that it moves around. I would be concerned if it was hard and wouldn't move around. Good luck and I hope your kitty is okay! :o

blueeyes3479
November 30th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Well, I was happy to see that there is so much support here. Thank you!!
As the one post mentioned that hope the cysts are not hard and immovable. That is the case. :( We also had him back to the vet as of today, we went for a second opinion with a new vet. She explained, yes the numbers seemed to be a bit high but nothing to get excited about for the kidneys. As far as the cysts go, it turns out they maybe a type of cancer called sarcoma, which, she explained is common among cats. While we were there we found three more cysts, which are spread out over the body...this now totals eight altogether. :sad: She explained they can do a biopsy on the larger of the cysts, but, yet we are unsure as to whether we are going to do this as of yet or not.
Trouble does not show any signs of pain, distress. He is eating on a regular basis and drinking fluids as always. No change in bathroom habits, and seems to be comfortable and happy. We are just not sure whether putting him through the surgery and causing him pain, is the right decision. Especially if there isnt much they can do for him. We want to have our happy, pain free cat around...not a lathargic, stressed out in pain cat. It really is a tough decision to make. If we do choose surgery it will be on 6 different locations of the body, and this just seems to be almost too much. It is scary for all of us to think about, but, we do have to come to a definite decision on what to do.
We love our trouble and dont want to see him go, but, if this is sarcoma as expected...we will lose him. The vet explained he may go even a year or more with no other physical symptoms other than the cysts. But, we just dont know????? :confused: Sorry I am rambling now - I guess that is because we dont know what to do yet.

mastifflover
November 30th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I sympathize with you it is a tough decision. I think I would do the biopsy and then decide after you have the facts. They may be benign at who cares if he is lumpy you will still love him and he will be with you for hopefully a long time. Don't get to far ahead of yourself you might be freaking out for nothing. Wait and see what the results are than you can make an informed decision. Good luck you are in our thoughts

blueeyes3479
November 30th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Again, thank you for the support everything helps!!! But, I just wanted to give another update....since we have been home from the vet I have now found 3 more cysts, which this has now moved onto the left side of the body as well these are more towards the chest area.
Has anyone had a cat that this has happened to, and what was the outcome? :confused:

heeler's rock!
November 30th, 2004, 09:06 PM
I meant our dogs cyst was benign, not malignant!!! Sorry!! :o

Blueeyes, I really feel for you. How old is your kitty? Sometimes if they're too old, it is best not to put them under anesthetic for any type of procedure. Older dogs and cats tend to not do too well while under. The uncertainty though would really kill me. If your vet suggests putting her under is okay, then I would go ahead with the biopsy for your own peace of mind. It really is your call, and I wish you the best of luck! :o

blueeyes3479
November 30th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry should have mentioned some other info on trouble. He is 7 years old....and, does not react well to being in the car. Which, also makes it a stressful to take him to the vet. He is very energetic....sometimes I think he believes he is a dog. He plays fetch with a ball better than our dog does. We have two other cats in the household and one dog. Part me says yes we should go through with the surgery and test. But, than another part of me says, that this will put him in pain when he's not right now....plus, the fact of if this is cancer and they begin messing around, the chance that it will spread even faster and we will lose him sooner. Also, that it is a pretty expensive surgery to go through, especially around the holiday times. Right now the total estimate would run 320.00.....and if between now and than any more cysts appear there will be additional costs. And, we have also considered not only if it is cancer that this can spread faster after being messed with, but, we will end up paying out all the bills to find out he will die anyways. Its just such a tough decision!!!!! :confused:
Its a win/lose either way type of scenario. He is showing the signs of sarcoma by the cysts and the blood test results, but, they still can not give a diagnosis until they cut into him. And, I guess that is where we are stuck with our decision. We both love him so much and do not want to see him go, but, it really is expensive and could cause further problems. :sad:

CyberKitten
November 30th, 2004, 11:38 PM
I would wait for the diagnosos before making any drastic decision. He is still a young kitty and even cancer can be treated well in a cat. I think he could do very well!! Please give him a chance even if he has cancer. There are organizations (like imom) that help if you need financial help.

blueeyes3479
November 30th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Can you please give me some more info on the organization you spoke of...do they have a website? The only reason is I have been out on medical issues myself, ironically cysts/surgery.....I have not been to work in a month. I will be going back soon, but, still things are tight financially.

SSAC
December 1st, 2004, 12:30 PM
Hi blue eyes, check your PM's.
I would do the Fine needle aspirate before a biopsy. The FNA would be able to tell the vet if there are any mass cells. I would also take an x-ray before doing the surgery. If the kidneys or any other organs show lymphoma, then to me it seems pointless to just take the external ones off as he could succum to any internal tumors.
Again, a FeLV test might provide additional answers. If your vet sent Troubles blood out to a lab, then they can call the lab for an "add on". This would prevent your cat from having more blood drawn.

Lymphoma, lymphoid leukemia, myelosis develop in up to 30% of FeLV positive cats. Lymphoma is the most frequently diagnosed malignancy of cats. :sad:

I hope you can find some answers. I would not worry about renal failure at this stage. Just concentrated on a firm diagnoses of the possible cutaneous lymphosarcomas. :sad:

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} for Trouble and his people

blueeyes3479
December 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM
thank you so much ssac, we will definitely contact our vet in regards to some of the other options you have given us....It is good to know that there are other ways around a full out surgery right now.

blueeyes3479
December 2nd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Well just a quick update, there are again more cystlike lumps that have been noticed again.....This is happening on a daily basis at this point, we have decided to defer from the surgery of excision of all of the cysts based on the fact there are numerous locations at this point, and would cause poor trouble so much pain and suffering. We are now up to a total of 15 lumps and spreading daily...... :sad: (9 different locations in total)
But, no matter what we still love our lumpy cat!!!!!!

CyberKitten
December 2nd, 2004, 05:46 AM
Please keep in mind that not all lumos are cancer. Some can be quite benign cysts or even inocuous lipomas which is just a fancy word tthat describes watery cysts. (and some of them can be huge and plentiful!) So, be positive!! :)

I believe imom's web site is is http://www.imom.org There are some wonderful heart warming sucess stories on there. Even stories where the pet is not in Rainbow Ridge are inspiring because they evoke the emotions and love of their humans who managed to do the most they could for their furbabies regardless of poverty, persoal problems or inconenience.

There are cats with diabetes, disabled pets with new limbs and of course felines with various types of cancer.

Good luck in helping your little one!

blueeyes3479
December 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
thank you for the web address.....we are praying that it is not cancer!!!!! We have an appt for the 10th of this month. I will update with any news! Thank you all for your support through these times.

raingirl
December 3rd, 2004, 08:34 AM
I don't know it it's the same for cats as humans, but they don't necessarily need to biopsy all the cysts at once. I have several cysts, and all they did was take a thin needle and punch the cyst to get a small amount of tissue. Hurt less than the flu shot. They did one at a time to see if any were cancer. All of them were fine (thank god!). I don't even have to have them removed unless I want to.

If it were me, I would have one of the cysts tested and see what it says. If it shows up non-cancer, they might want to test the other ones. If the first shows up as cancer, at least the rest don't have to be tested, but you can start treatment for the cancer asap.

Daisie
December 3rd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to say I understand. I had quite the scare a few weeks ago, when our boy of 7 years came down with a lump on his leg. I took him to the vet, fortunately it was nothing more than a cyst. Infected from a cat bite, they drained it and gave me antibiotics.

I'm not sure what we would have done if it turned out to be cancer. It would have been a painful decision...we can't afford cancer treatment, surgery etc...not knowing if he'd be cured. Hope things turn out well.

blueeyes3479
December 3rd, 2004, 11:36 PM
thank you for your words of sympathy. They are appreciated, we do assume though that this is a form of cancer - we are up to 20 cysts total now. They are located all over the body. And the last vet we did take trouble to was concerned that this was sarcoma/lymphoma.....She had even commented that if it were, the cysts would pop up all over his body, at a fast rate. That is exactly what is happening. Trouble still seems to be very happy, comfortable, and with no signs of sickness or pain. Thank heavens for that!!!!! We have noticed that he is beginning to be a little less playful with fetching his ball. He used to play for 30 minutes at minimum (you would throw the ball, he would go fetch and bring it back to you to throw once again). He is now at he'll bring you the ball, you throw it, he'll fetch it and bring it...and he's done. I am assuming this is linked with the lumps that he has been getting.
But, he is still my cuddle bug! He sleeps in my arms every night. We will wait and see what the vet says, but, we hope for best. If we lose him, it will take a long time to get used to being without him. :sad:
But, thank you everyone for your words and sympathy, they are appreciated...I have given trouble a hug from all.