Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Web site hosting/domain name registering??

Writing4Fun
November 29th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Hi folks! OK, putting the cart before the horse here, but hey, things sometimes work best that way. ;) I'm thinking of starting up my own little home-based business. I have nothing in place - nada - this is just something that's been floating around in the wastelands at the back of my mind for a while. One thing that has come in loud and clear, tho, is the name for this business. I've checked it out, and "mydomainname.ca" is available, so I want to hurry up and register before it gets snatched up. My question (yes, yes, I'm getting to it) is do any of you have your own business? If so, I presume you have a web site? Who does your hosting, and are you happy with their services? I know hosting and registering are two different things, but I'd like to find one company to do both ... eventually ... maybe. :o Thanks a bunch!

GunnerX
November 30th, 2004, 09:07 AM
I suggest keeping the hosting and domain name separate. A lot of time you will find better hosting and you would like to move so its good to have the domain name separate.

I registered my .ca domain through http://www.domainsatcost.ca/ since .ca domains are special. As for hosting, there's a lot of sites out there. A site that I use for www.gunnerx.net is Liquid Web (www.liquidweb.com). I think they're prices are competitive and offer a lot of extras. They are also quite reliable and fast with good costumer service.

louie's mum
November 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM
hi there. i registered originally with network solutions at $35. :eek: a year in 1990. i've since transferred to www.godaddy.com renewals for domain names are 7.95 a year and 1st time is comparable. it's u.s. but the rate is so low it's well worth it.
my hosting is thru bizland.com (www.bizland.com). i pay 5.95 a month (again u.s.) for web hosting. here's one of my sites Notables Hand Crafted Jewelry (www.notables.net) aka Notable Stones Jewelry (www.notablestones.com) This is purely a small home biz and i've been quite pleased.
if u use either services please tell i sent u. :D thanks.
I've used bizland for years and years and i'm pleased with server performance. very little downtime due to maintenance etc.
p.m. or email me if u need a little extra info or help.
Lisa

Writing4Fun
November 30th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for your replies, folks.

Gunnerx, that is a cool site you have there. My family site is nowhere near as exciting as yours! :o The hosting and registration sites you suggested are perfect - excellent pricing, and if you're satisfied with the service, then I'm sold. :D

Louie's Mum, thanks for your links, but I have to stick with a .ca domain. "Mydomainname.com" and ".net" are already spoken for (not being used, but already registered). Would you by chance be a "wahm"? ;) Have you been to www.wahm.com? Great site for "mompreneurs". If you have any home-based business advice to throw my way, feel free to pm me any time!

Goldenmom
November 30th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I Highly, Highly recommend Ace of Space Web Hosting! They have the most excellent customer service and packages.

http://www.aceofspace.com/

Heather and her 3 Goldens Girls (who also has a home business)

louie's mum
November 30th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Louie's Mum, thanks for your links, but I have to stick with a .ca domain. "Mydomainname.com" and ".net" are already spoken for (not being used, but already registered). Would you by chance be a "wahm"? ;) Have you been to www.wahm.com? Great site for "mompreneurs". If you have any home-based business advice to throw my way, feel free to pm me any time!

ur welcome. u have to go with what works for sure.
not a wahm - i'm a wahdp - work at home disabled person lol
had to find a way to supplement my income and found making jewelry keeps me from losing my mind and allows me to stretch my creative legs. fingers don't always co-operate - depends on the day ;) i don't always have the energy to give it the attention it needs (tip # 1 - discipline - gotta have it for home biz)
i thank god every day for the internet - allows me to be connected to the outside world when it can feel kind of isolated inside.
good luck in ur endeavours. be sure to let me know when ur up and running. i'm curious as to what ur up to ;)
go get um :thumbs up
p.s. email or pm me ANYTIME

CyberKitten
November 30th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I use the server at the university so I am fortunate. And most personal ISP's offer 5 MGs of space. I'd buy the space from a good company (and not sure who to recommend where you live. Mostly bec the smaller ones all go out of biz at one time or another. Domain space should be purchased from Network Solutions or else another company may own your domain forever. (They do not tell you this in the fine print).

Writing4Fun
November 30th, 2004, 08:11 PM
D'oh! Guess I should have known to wait for your reply before registering, CK. ;) Forgive my ignorance in these matters, but what is the danger in the registrar "owning" your domain name? I mean, it's not like they can do anything with it while it's registered in your name, can they? :confused:

Louie's mum, you want to know what I'm up to? LOL! When I figure it out for myself, I'll let you know! As far as I can tell, I'm jumping head first, hog tied and blindfolded into a great, gaping hole of "the unknown". :crazy: Fun times ahead, I'm sure. What kind of jewelry do you make, if you don't mind me asking? A lof of the wahms on the other board are doing Deciple's (sp?) Cross and stuff like that.

Goldenmom (who also has a home business :) ), what kind of stuff do you do, professionally speaking? Gee, maybe we'll need to ask Marko for a WAH forum. Kidding! Kidding! :D

dmc123
November 30th, 2004, 08:57 PM
bravenet.com has hosting, i have been experimenting there, just another choice to look at.

~~dmc

CyberKitten
November 30th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Re: but what is the danger in the registrar "owning" your domain name? I mean, it's not like they can do anything with it while it's registered in your name, can they?

Well, they can charge you more for one thing - hold it hostage. (I had some med students learn this the hard way). The domain has to be reregisted every two yrs -depending on the plan and often these charletons automatically renew. Some of the worse ones also add ads you do not want. It can get nasty and ugly!! Would you want someone owning the mortgage to your home - you pay for it and they do what they want with it.

Often - if the domain ownership is tied to these "bargains", combining plans to web host and the name - they so called business people will not allow you to move it from their web hosting plan to another. And if they have an agreemment with another web hosting service, good luck changing it.

It is just unethical!

Like I said to these med students at the time, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. I recently re-regsitered the domain names for a major Maritime hospital - and we have agreements with a Maritime organization for some of the older ones (thx to an ill informed and lazy web weaver - I HATE the term webmaster, ughhhhhhh! tho thankfully more people are smart enough to change that unfortunate, sexist and awful term) and it has been bureacratic hell.

Also, you need to be careful in choosing a good web host. Make sure they will allow you to use the best scripts. (Some - especially the smaller, less equipped in it for a quick buck and not as knowledgable about the biz as they should be) will not permit you to even have a cgi-bin folder which makes the site almost useless if you are running it for a business. (even for a nonprofit, that can be a pain!)

There are ways of working around the no cgi scripts rule but one, JavaScript, is about as secure as locking your office door and placing the key in plain sight ir Java (which means applets , NOT the full fledged language) which may take time for the apps to load (a nuciuence for your potential customers) or posting the secure pages on another server somewhere else - and that just overcomplicates things.

Also, some of the smaller companies may tell you they have a proper SSL certificates but most of them do NOT!! And the only acceptable security is SSL!! Accept no imitations if you value your money or whatever else is acccessible from your server! (Not to mention your potential customer's information like VISA numbers!!!)

I have doing some workshops in how web sites need to be accessable for the disabled community and so many web sites (this one included) break the law and no one notices. It is becoming more and more of an issue and one must always give your users/readers a choice. It is a growing area and many govt sites have been forced offline because of their lack of forethought.

And always make sure that your site meets the reqirements of all browsers (not just MS cr** like Explorer). I refer here to Netscape, Opera, Mozilla's foxfire and many others. (Not to mentiomn these usually weed out spyware and popups and do not require additional apps on your HD)

Anyway, once again, I have gone on too long. Good luck in your choice.

As with anything technological, the best advice has remained the same for a long time now. Spend as much money as you can and get the best you can!!! You will not regret it.

You could also buy your own server and work from there. A fellow doc - a orthopedic surgeon - did this in his spare time - and his work paid off really well. No third party, a cheap basic computer for the server software and other excellent computers with megaGigs for the info and database software and data. I do that for one of my classes. The students must have their own server, web site and problem solving solutions up and running before the end of the term! (They havew the option of using older computers we have here but many of them get right into it and buy stuff on or offline). I have had several tell me it was one of the best things they learned in university!!!

Good luck!!!

GunnerX
December 1st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Another thing. Liquid Web has auto installers for various programs and this includes online stores such as OS Commerce (http://www.oscommerce.com/) and Cube Cart (http://www.cubecart.com/). Great for those just starting out.

Writing4Fun
December 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM
OK, CyberKitten. Now you're scaring me! :eek: How can I tell if the name belongs to me or them? I know during registration, all of the information was mine, and I had to continue my registration at CIRA. The only part that worries me now (and only because of what you've been telling me) is that they suggested I sign up with "Privacy.ca", so that my info wouldn't be available to the masses. Instead, if someone wants to know anything about my domain, they have to go through Privacy.ca, who will let me know any time anyone is requesting info about me. So, during registration with CIRA, the applicant info is mine, but the contact info is at Privacy.ca. :confused:

GunnerX, yes, I've seen what Bravenet has to offer. I've used a few of their services on my family's page. They're pretty cool, but I have a problem with pop-ups on a business page. I don't think that looks very professional, and might tick off a few potential customers.

Since I'm starting reeeaaallllyyy small, I wasn't planning on offering a shopping cart just yet. I was going to provide a downloadable order form (Word or Excel), to be e-mailed back to me, and I would accept payment through PayPal only (don't want to be responsible for credit card information). Maybe if this thing really takes off, and as I get more comfortable with the whole idea, I'll look into secure ordering and shopping carts later on.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are awesome! :thumbs up

louie's mum
December 1st, 2004, 11:27 AM
OK, CyberKitten. Now you're scaring me! :eek: How can I tell if the name belongs to me or them? I know during registration, all of the information was mine, and I had to continue my registration at CIRA. The only part that worries me now (and only because of what you've been telling me) is that they suggested I sign up with "Privacy.ca", so that my info wouldn't be available to the masses. Instead, if someone wants to know anything about my domain, they have to go through Privacy.ca, who will let me know any time anyone is requesting info about me. So, during registration with CIRA, the applicant info is mine, but the contact info is at Privacy.ca. :confused:

GunnerX, yes, I've seen what Bravenet has to offer. I've used a few of their services on my family's page. They're pretty cool, but I have a problem with pop-ups on a business page. I don't think that looks very professional, and might tick off a few potential customers.

Since I'm starting reeeaaallllyyy small, I wasn't planning on offering a shopping cart just yet. I was going to provide a downloadable order form (Word or Excel), to be e-mailed back to me, and I would accept payment through PayPal only (don't want to be responsible for credit card information). Maybe if this thing really takes off, and as I get more comfortable with the whole idea, I'll look into secure ordering and shopping carts later on.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are awesome! :thumbs up

DON'T BE SCARED W4F ... i've used 4 different registry companies and have had NO PROBLEM with transferring, questions of ownership etc. i've been involved in internet biz since 1990 and NO PROBLEMS as described and yes, i have switched due to lower fees along the way.
if u decide to sell stuff u can always use ccnow.com they'll give u the script to place on ur website rather than having to have shopping cart software of ur own which will allow u to take mastercard, visa, etc. this is available to canadians as well as u.s. they charge a commission but it eliminates having to have a merchant acct. and they'll send u a cheque with no problems. or use paypal or some other similar type of service. it's not a big deal. scary at first, yes. DO NOT let fear stop u.
keep reaching ...
e me if u want more info.

louie's mum
December 2nd, 2004, 06:01 PM
What kind of jewelry do you make, if you don't mind me asking? A lof of the wahms on the other board are doing Deciple's (sp?) Cross and stuff like that.

mostly gold fill and sterling silver necklaces, earrings, bracelets, anklets etc, using semi precious stones, freshwater pearls etc. all original designs. sometimes work with 14 kt gold but most gold filled. stuff lasts forever and is a fraction of the price. need to spend more time at it. i used to have a lot of base metal charms including cats and other animals which made really cute earrings. i should work on more of those :D Notables Hand Crafted Jewelry (www.notables.net), scroll down and click on catalogues ... there's a ton of pics. just follow the links.
i also design websites for a couple of outfits around town and out of town come to think of it ... the beauty of internet ;)

Iggette
December 8th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Interesting site Gunner X mentioning your sister and what she does to help out to end brest cancer is really sweet .......my daughter did the walk for the first time this year and has vowed to return every year!