Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help with litter problem...

vcheng79
November 29th, 2004, 09:56 PM
I took Sabrina to the vet night before yesterday because I thought she was pooping blood. Turns out the vet said one of the sacs around her anus ruptured due to infection. The vet cleaned her up and gave her some antibiotic shorts and pills + pain medication. He also said that I should not use clay litter until she's all better. He suggested that I should tear up tissue paper and use it as litter. However, tissue paper don't absorb very well. I have to go to school each day and worried that they might choose to go elsewhere because I can't change their litter box asap. What should I do? Also, the vet said that he wouldn't stitch her up because he wanted the pus to drain; however, the wound now has become crusty. Should I clean her wound or not? What should I do it with? Thanks.

Karin
November 29th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I took Sabrina to the vet night before yesterday because I thought she was pooping blood. Turns out the vet said one of the sacs around her anus ruptured due to infection. The vet cleaned her up and gave her some antibiotic shorts and pills + pain medication. He also said that I should not use clay litter until she's all better. He suggested that I should tear up tissue paper and use it as litter. However, tissue paper don't absorb very well. I have to go to school each day and worried that they might choose to go elsewhere because I can't change their litter box asap. What should I do? Also, the vet said that he wouldn't stitch her up because he wanted the pus to drain; however, the wound now has become crusty. Should I clean her wound or not? What should I do it with? Thanks.

Try to find some "Yesterdays News" litter...this is made from recycled newspapper, can be costly but goes along way...you can get it in small bags that will last one cat 5 days. Try a PetSmart or other supply stores in your area.

As for her wound, she will clean it..just make sure it does not scab over before it is empty...it needs to scar over but this will not happen as long as the infection is present. She is a good judge on her own cleaning,help her only if she needs it, and have her rechecked by the vet too.

vcheng79
November 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I asked whether I should clean her wound but the vet said I shouldn't. He also said I should put a collar around Sabrina to prevent her from licking too much because the stuff coming out is pus and if she keeps on licking it she might get infection some where else. The vet sedated her and cleaned her wound (when I took Sabrina home, there was only a tiny bit of clear liquid and a very small trace of blood came out of the wound compared to when the sac burst). I asked if he would sew her up but the vet said he wanted the pus to drain and that's why he's not closing the wound. I live in Hong Kong, so it's unlikely I can find Yesterday's News litter, but will old newspaper do? Wouldn't it make her leg very dirty?

CyberKitten
November 30th, 2004, 06:09 PM
People in Europe will tell you that they import newsprint from Canada for litter (especially for newborn kits) because it is not toxic. All other newsprint is so no, do not use newsprint!!!! (Unless you can get some from Canada or the Yesterday's News litter)

vcheng79
December 3rd, 2004, 10:11 AM
I have been using tear up kitchen towels as their litter; unfortunately, maybe be they are not use to it and absolutely refuse to use it. They just don't go pee or poop...what should I do? The procedure (sedated to wash out pus and wound) was just done 5 days ago, I am wondering when can I start using normal litter again? I worry about them refusing to go to washroom. Also, Sabrina absolutely refuse to take her antibiotic now...I tried putting it into her mouth, crushing it and disolve it in water/meat taste juice, hidding it in a treat, but she absolutely refuse to take it...what should I do now???

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The antibiotic is important so you should do everything in your power to make sure she gets it. If you cannot give it to her, you will have to take her to the vet, either to be given her daily medication or to be hospitalized. If she stops receiving the antibiotic mid-course the infection may become resistant and impossible to treat.

Have you ever tried to pill your cat? Have a friend hold her, or pin her between your knees on the floor. You can wrap her tightly in a towel if she tries to scratch. Tilt the head back and pry the mouth open with one hand (it's stronger than it looks!) and place or toss the pill as far down the throat as you can. Then hold the mouth shut and watch for the swallow. Rubbing her throat while you hold her mouth shut may help her to swallow, as may a squirt of water with a syringe (no needle!). This procedure may sound stressful for the cat, but if you can do it quickly you can often get them to swallow the pill before they even know what is happening!

As for the kitty litter, I would call the vet for suggestions. You may have to switch back to kitty litter but be sure to stay away from the "clumping" kind. Try for a dust-free litter with large, smooth pebbles - more like sand than clay.

If you are very concerned that her bum is getting crusty, a soft cloth with warm water may be used to gently wipe it, but don't pick at the scabbing, as this may reopen the wound.

glasslass
December 6th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Different species, but maybe helpful? When my poodle was attacked by the neighbor's dogs, he had to have a drainage tube inserted. The vet told me to keep the area around the wound clean by sponging with a 50-50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water (not drippy). I did that 4 times a day, just holding the moistened paper towel on the area until it softened enough to be able to gently wipe clean. Also, when giving the pill and holding her head up and scratching her throat as Elfelda suggested, try blowing softly into her nose. I find that makes Puss-Puss swallow. She's so used to taking pills now that I don't have to any more.

vcheng79
December 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the advices, but I tried everything already. Today I opened her mouth and poped the pill into her mouth, then I blow air to her noise. She licked her nose and I thought she swallowed it, next I know she spit it out (it was all mushy) with all these saliva...maybe I do need to go back to the vet and ask for other options....