Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help Golden Retriever Pup is PEE Machine in house!!

netcbc
November 29th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Comet is 9 weeks and we got her from a breeder, she's a complete angel aside that she pee's all the time in home, how can we stop it?
We take her for plenty of walks and she does do her business but always has a few accidents at home, we take her for walks after eating as well.
Lastly when she does do her business outside we give her lots of praise.
Any help would be great!! Or if anyone knows a good potty training course.

http://www.scar.utoronto.ca/~99shewga/comet/DSC01083.JPG

Lucky Rescue
November 29th, 2004, 09:04 PM
She's 9 weeks old. Of course she's a pee machine. All puppies are. You don't expect her to be housetrained at 9 weeks? It could take 6 months or more before there are no accidents ever.

If she pees in the house, it's because you are not watching her closely enough and/or not taking her out often enough.

Here is an article for you.
Housetraining very young puppies (http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/7742/training/housebreaking.htm)

netcbc
November 29th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the help I think, I sense some tension of sorts, interesting that you are a moderator, I am well aware that it takes time and was just asking for some tips not for an immediate solution.

Assumptions lead to ignorance my friend, as I've stated above we take Comet for many walks unfortunately she still has accidents (mostly urinating), basically she takes many short intervals of urinating rather then 2 or 3 long ones. As well, we (gf and I) do watch it very closely and around it all the time just it does sneaks in those accidents, maybe I should just follow it around 24/7?

Anyway tips would be great, appreciate the article.

Shelly
November 29th, 2004, 10:45 PM
My puppy is fully house trained at the age of 5 1/2 months, after a lot of work. What finally worked for us was giving him a tiny piece of treat every time he did his business outside. And not coming back inside until he had done his business. Training him to do his business on command (most of the time this works ;) ) has really helped with this. As far as I am concerned you and your puppy are already doing a great job. When our Pup was 10 weeks old I went out and bought a steam cleaner for the carpet 'cause he was having so many accidents in the house. Every-time you see her sniffing, walking in a circle, after she has eaten, after playing , after a nap or after chewing on a toy rush her outside and tell her to go pee. When she does go pee give her a little treat and tell her what a good girl she is for going pee outside. Before you you know it you will have a house trained puppy.

Writing4Fun
November 29th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Hi there. Your puppy is beautiful! :love:

On to your problem. Well, LuckyRescue is right. She's just a baby. Lots of folks seem to forget that (me included ;) ). She is trainable, but it takes time and a lot of work and patience on your part.

You're right - it's impossible to follow her around 24/7. Do you have a crate for those times when you can't watch her?

I'm not a training expert, so I won't even try going there with you. :p I will suggest you get yourself a really good book. Some folks on this site like the "For Dummies" series of books. There's a "Training Puppies For Dummies" and a "Golden Retrievers For Dummies". Either one of those will have great tips on house training. As soon as she's had her third set of shots, you should also consider getting her into a good obedience class.

Good luck with your new fuzzy bundle! :D

Rainy
November 29th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Hi .I have had alot of success with potty training.Things to remember is the puppy has little or no control over thier bladder yet.It happens with time and age and confidance.Never ever get angry over accidents in the house.They are unavoidable and I believe no ones fault or your own fault.Never the puppies.I have never let the puppy see me wipe up a mess especially if it's huge and i'm more mad at myself for not catching it in time!I put puppy in another room (bathroom or kitchen) or crate ,so long as the puppy can't see me cleaning the mess.Once the accident has been done it's already forgotten and you will only stress your puppy out trying to get him/her to understand .I believe it also encourages the puppy to hide the next time he/she needs to "go".
Tips....early morning , you wake up.......puppy goes pee the moment you wake up .Not after you have your bathroom time but before.
After every nap puppy needs out! nap= lying down longer than 10 minutes(imo)
After every play session ....puppy needs out!
Circling means only one thing LOL so does that frantic OMG look .
Going off quietly with nose to the ground.......run! Puppy needs out!
You learn thier signals quick if your attentive enough.
A crate for puppy to sleep in at night or when your out won't eliminate all accidents 100% but they help tremendously.
I treat a puppy like an infant,meaning in the beginning I set my alarm and do middle of the night potties .
Methods can be treat rewards or just alot of praise and petting .I have used both but prefer praise because I never run out!
Bottom line is for the least accidents you have to be quick and very attentive. Don't get discouraged ,tell yourself you'll be faster next time.Good luck!

netcbc
November 29th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone, I really really really appreciate all the personal experiences and tips, it'll go a long way, patience seems to be the key, thanks again.

Goldenmom
November 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone, I really really really appreciate all the personal experiences and tips, it'll go a long way, patience seems to be the key, thanks again.

Email me personally and I will give you some tips suggestions, even for the future.
fortheluvofgoldens@rogers.com

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

BMDLuver
November 30th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I know that I have had very good success by changing the product I cleaned up after the puppies with. I now only use KOE which I get at my vets office. It really seems to help as the puppy can't find a familiar scent to pee on for a second time. KOE stands for Kennel Odour Eater and it's very safe for puppies. 1 bottle does 32 gallons so I keep a daily pail handy. Hope this helps and good luck with your lovely new addition!

Lucky Rescue
November 30th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Assumptions lead to ignorance my friend, as I've stated above we take Comet for many walks unfortunately she still has accidents (mostly urinating), basically she takes many short intervals of urinating rather then 2 or 3 long ones.

Ignorance? Who? If your puppy is peeing on the floor, you are either not taking her out enough or not watching her closely enough, or both. Tiny puppies may need to go 10 times a day - after waking, eating, sleeping, playing, drinking etc.. They have tiny bladders and cannot take "2 or 3 long ones" as a bigger and older dog might do. Make sense? ;)

tenderfoot
November 30th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Everyone has given such good advice. The best being patience. Children all potty train at different ages, so patience will be important for your puppy aswell. She will have her own time schedule.

Bringing a new puppy in to your home is like bringing an infant home. Our awareness has to match their needs. Crate training is a great help on many levels and should be part of the overall training of the pup. We also recommend that you have her on a leash with you in the house as much as you can stand it. It helps to remind you that you have a baby to watch out for. As you are sitting and reading, she cannot wander off and make a mistake without you gettting a tug on the leash to remind you to be more aware.
If she is in a hard puppy sleep don't drag her around by the leash - let her sleep, but be with her when she is up and about - always ready for a mistake.

It may very well be that all of your attention has not actualy taught her not to go in the house. Sometimes we need to allow them to start to make a mistake in order to teach them not to. Do not punish her if you catch her in the act - just startle her and to stop her and then take her out and reward her with Oscar winning praise for doing it outside. Make sure you give it a word like "Good potty" so she has a word to connect to it. Always take her to the same door that you will notice when she learns to start asking to go out.
Hope this helps.

Batman
November 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM
My little guy is now 11 weeks and his accidents are gradually becoming less and less frequent. I love my little guy and we take him on plenty of walks and make sure he goes out MANY MANY times a day... however when he is playing in our living area sometimes he does have an accident when I look away. I was in tears most days after reading here about how it is "all my fault" when he pees on the floor. It made me feel like a horrible pet owner. I try to watch him constantly when he is out but if he has just peed or has just been out I relax and that is when the accidents happen. :o I have spoken with some 'average' dog owners who have well behaved and well trained dogs... after doing that I relaxed and realized that yes I do need to watch him constantly but I shouldn't beat myself up when he does have an accident. It is getting easier now because he seems to being peeing slightly less and having bigger pees. He is also starting to go to the door when he needs to go number 2.

I agree with Tenderfoot. Keeping your puppy on a leash definitly helps with watching out for accidents.

Another thing that helped me was keeping track of everything he does all day... that way you can find a pattern. I knew that at 2:30 after having water he would pee 3 times. Unfortunatly now his schedule is completely different so we are back to square one.

lilith_rizel
November 30th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Cano was 7 months before he stopped having accidents. The best way to potty train is to crate train!

Ling
December 1st, 2004, 11:33 AM
I had it pretty good with potty training. But I also watched her like there was nothing else more interesting than her. Otherwise she was crated. For the first couple of weeks (we got her at 8 weeks) I think that I took her out in excess of 10 times a day! After every nap, play time, eating...
But definately when she does her business outside, make sure you have a command word or phase that you say while she's doing her business (mine now goes on command so I don't have to stand out in the cold for more than a minute) then praise her like crazy (and maybe even give her a treat).
If she does have an accident and you don't catch her doing it - oh well - chalk it up to having a small pup. Clean it up and I also use some vinegar so that it covers up the scent of it. But yeah - if you see her, startle her then pick her up, go outside to her potty place then praise her like she's the best thing in the world when she finishes her business there.
Some people also say using a bell for the pup to signal that they have to go out too works well. Put it down low enough by the potty door, use their paw to make it ring, then open the door.
Be patience - it just takes time. Good luck!
And BTW - what a cutie!

coppperbelle
December 1st, 2004, 06:33 PM
My youngest golden was 6 months old when I adopted him. He was fully trained, fortunately for me and has only peed in the house once. HE did it in front of me while I was watching tv. It may have been to get my attention or he was so involved in playing that he forgot where he was. Whatever the reason I cleaned the spot very well with vinegar. It is important to cover the smell otherwise your pet will continue to go to the spot. Even if you cannot smell the urine he/she will be able to. I read that if your pup pees 2 ounces of urine it will take at least 2 ounces of vinegar to cover the spot and smell.

Good luck
;) ;) ;)

maddoxies
December 1st, 2004, 06:56 PM
As everyone has said, she is a baby.

I have found puppy pee pads helped for my guys. The pads have a scent to them to help attract the puppy to go there. That way if she has to go and you do not know to get her outside, she has an acceptable alternative to peeing somewhere inappropriate. Puppy pee pads are better than newspapers because of the scent to attract the puppy and the plastic backing which protects your floors. If you place the pads close to the door she goes out to do her business, then you are also teaching her to ask for the door. It is easy when you see her go for the pee pad, to scoot her outside.

The other important point others have raised is to eliminate the scent where she has already had accidents. White vinegar is excellent, SOX is also a product that I have used with great success.

Human babies have training pants because they still have accidents while getting the hang of potty training, puppies are no different. This too shall come to pass

Good luck, and don't stop asking questions, we are here to help each other :thumbs up

maddoxies
December 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
by the way, she is a gorgeous baby, congrats !!!