Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

peeing for attention. Help Please!!

lilith_rizel
November 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Ok, we had our friend's farewell party last night. And while we had company over, Cano peed right infront of everyone. He hasn't made any messes in the house ofr months now, and has learned to go to the door and whine, if he really needs to go. The thing that really gets me is that he went our not even half an hour before he went in the house. The only thing we have came up with is that he did it for attention. He did the same thing when we brought him to a friend's house a while ago. He never does this when there aren't people, besides James and I, around.

And to make things more difficult, I am having my family (5 people in all) come down in 3 weeks. They plan on being here for atleast a week, plus that is the same time where the baby will be born, so the attention isn't going to be focused on him, like it normally is. So what should I do, to prepare him for all the company and such. James and I thought about keeping him in one small area, until he is used to seeing everyone around. Is this a good idea, or is there a better idea someone has.

And how do I go about correcting Cano, when he does this for attention?

Someone please help. The last thing I need is for him to pee infront of my family, when I have told them how much a well behaved dog he is. They might get the wrong impression of him.

ronanlouise
November 29th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Having had a pee-er (more like a spray-er) ourselves, I can empathize with your dilemma.
Although your pup has begun a strange new habit, this does not mean that you no longer have a well behaved dog. It could be a number of things. Stress from having unknown people in the house (your dog's lair) could be the cause, but then so could incontinence, or most likely a combination of the two. Over excitement can also be a reason.
We fostered a pup that would not only pee, but would roll over on his back and pee- hence the spray-er. But it was a very effective means of self defense against humans, if there ever was one! No one would go near the poor little guy if he had that "I'm feeling a little less than 1000% secure right now" look in his eyes.
Try having the dog greet new people outside, or maybe have someone take the pup out to pee while your guests are getting settled. Once they are settled, ask if they'd mind giving the pup a small treat when he comes back in the house. When the pup comes in and begins sniffing the new guests, let them give him a small treat for a sit or stay command. This reassures everyone, guests and pup included, that you're all on the same page, and that guests are F-U-N!!! Simply explain that he is so loving that sometimes it spills over a little bit. Most people will be accomodating to anything, given a little warning.

It may or may not work, but it couldn't hurt to add a little extra reassurance to the situation, for everyone's sake.

Good luck!

GsdDiamond
November 29th, 2004, 05:07 PM
That sounds like wonderful advice!

lilith_rizel
November 30th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Would having my sisters help with feeding and taking Cano outside help as well? I thought about that last night. Even though my youngest sister (12 years) weighs just 5 pounds more than him, she could come out with me, during potty time.

ronanlouise
November 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM
You betcha! As long as you are confident that neither of them will mind. It also gives your sister(s) a chance to get to know him on their own. You may want to consider whether or not he's a runner, or a jumper, etc... though. If your sister only out weighs him by a few pounds and he decides he wants to go somewhere else, he may just do that, and take her with him! ;)

I'm excited to hear how it works out for you. (Having learned some of these tricks the hard way)

lilith_rizel
November 30th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Oh, Kari would just accompany me, or one of my other sisters, she wouldn't actually be the one holding the leash. That wouldn't be a very nice Christmas gift for her! LOL. She's just a little thing, for her age. Poor kid. She still wears clothes made for 9 year olds!

ronanlouise
December 2nd, 2004, 11:23 AM
She'll appreciate having to wear smaller clothes when she's much older, and wearing much larger sizes... hee, hee, hee... :angel:

Rainy
December 2nd, 2004, 11:44 AM
<snip>We fostered a pup that would not only pee, but would roll over on his back and pee- hence the spray-er. But it was a very effective means of self defense against humans, if there ever was one! No one would go near the poor little guy if he had that "I'm feeling a little less than 1000% secure right now" look in his eyes.<snip>
That puppy was submitting to you. In packs there is always order .Dominant and submisive.

Because you had a party I agree cano was most likely over stimulated or nervous.
All the ideas thus far sound good IMO .Also does Cano have a crate or quiet place to go? He will probably benefit having little breaks from the crowd.