Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pretty bad mange(?)

gwenmclean
November 29th, 2004, 01:08 PM
I got my puppy about a month and a half ago? her previous owner put bleach on her skin and when I got her her hair had mostly grown back but she had a couple of bumps on top of her head. I thought it was just from her skin drying out or maybe ingrown hairs? About a week or so ago I noticed some scabs on her back and they kept getting worse. I went to the store and got some blue liquid stuff for hot spots. The symptoms on the bottle sounded like that was what she had. The directions told us to shave the infected area wash her and spread the blue goo on... well by this time it was pretty bad so we just shaved all her hair off gave her a bath and put blue goo all over her. It seemed like it was soothing and it might be getting better but then my next door neighbor told me it was mange. so we took her to the vet which was pretty expensive and wouldnt give us any discount or let us make payments or anything :( and they gave her a shot and some medication that she has to take twice a day. well that was on wednesday and it doesn't seem to be getting any better..... :mad: a bunch of money and no result!!! The vet said it wont gaurantee to get rid of the mange but it will make the bumps go away. well I don't see any difference in any of that.... he said she needs a dip wich will be another $40 and you cant get it in a store you have to get it from a vet. Is that true? and does anyone know of a GOOD vet in Rohnert park area? or Santa Rosa (CA). Is there anything I can do or anything I can buy from a store that will help. any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

GsdDiamond
November 29th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I can't recommend a Vet in your area, but good for you for trying to find a new one! It doesn't sound like this one is very personable.

As far as I know (and that's not much :D ) mange, or at least mange that's very far gone, must be treated by dip and I "think" that's only available at the Vet's office, as it's a medical procedure.

mastifflover
November 29th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Try contacting a veterinary college in your area some have clinics you could use or try a search of vets in your area. My vet is very compassionate and gives rescues a little break on price and let me pay off a surgery for my boy that was around 1000.00. My guy is a rescue who had been abused by some loser.

VickyK
November 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I am pretty sure I have notes from grooming school on this subject, I will be home from work in 3 hours (hopefully if traffic isnt horrible) and I will let you know soon!

VickyK
November 29th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Sorry it took me so long.....but the answer could be sulphur. Look for special sulphur shampoos preferably all-natural. My teacher makes her own if you cant find any (she makes amazing goats milk shampoo that I use on everyday pooches. ) Let me know if u have a hard time finding some @ pattesdelicates@hotmail.com

goldenblaze
November 29th, 2004, 09:43 PM
My dog also had mange and it can be a very nasty disease and hard to get rid of. There is more then one type of mange.... you must take this dog and the a Vet do a skin scrap and find a mite, they then will know what mite it is and treat the mite to kill the disease. Scartopic is easy and fast, Revolution 2x month for six weeks... no dips needed!
Demodex is harder to clear up and it hard to treat, you must have the dog looked at by a Vet asap. This can drive a dog in sane, it's itching burns and the scabs mean the dog has infection, please let us know how you make out, but don't wait the dog needs a Dr.

gwenmclean
November 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM
I already took the dog to the vet if you read my first post. The vet gave her medication that we give her 2x daily.And the vet already took 2 skin scrapings. one on her head and one on her back by her tail which she also licks and scratches at now. My problem is that I am not seeing any change and don't want to take her to the same vet. I still have to take her back to get the dip but my main concern was is there anything I can use in the mean time to ease the discomfort of my puppy! And if it helps, the thing she has- they start off looking like pimples and then I think she bites and scratches at them causing the scabs.... It is really bad on top of her head the skin is swollen and wrinkly. would it be worth getting a funnel for her so she can't scratch her head? And do I have to get that from the vet or can I go to a peet store to get one?

VickyK
November 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Again I want to stress that Sulphur shampoo is known to work wonders on skin disorders, not oatmeal shampoo. Also I just noticed you are in California, Natural Balance is launching their new raw dog food in your state right now. As I have said many times before, I have seen it for myself how much healthier raw diets make animals,not only their coats but overall they dont visit the vet as often. I am dying to get my hands on some but I am in Canada, but you should take advantage and try some for yourself.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

mastifflover
November 30th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Oatmeal also relieves the itching and dryness.

Rainy
November 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Mange mites take multiple treatments to get rid of and you don't usually see results right away.You sometimes see results within the week other times a couple of weeks! Mite infestations are painful and sometimes even deadly.I suspect that your vet gave you painkillers or an antibiotic . I know topically treated is a good way to get rid of mites.Also injection should the infestation be a big one.

gwenmclean
November 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM
OK so sulphur shampoo, got it! thanks!! She has had an injection and she is on medication, I don't think it is a pain killer though? I have a bottle of hot spots treatment at home does that help with the itching or anything? it seems soothing?

Rainy
November 30th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Do you know the name of what the dog was injected with? Ivermectin possibly? Also what is the name of the med?

VickyK
November 30th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Yes oatmeal is an excellent moisturizer and it's not harsh on the skin but sulphur is used to treat more severe skin disorders such as bacterial, fungal and parasiteic skin infections.

goldenblaze
November 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Mange does not go away over night..... it takes months sometimes years! You must first go to a good vet and find out what mange your dog has, there is no point in treating for scartopic mites if your dog has demodex mites. If you are allowing Ivomac please be careful it can kill some breds, I did not use any dipping on my dog. It really hurts the dog if there are open sores like you said. I can honestly tell Blaze came home with demodex mange at 8 weeks and it he was 71/2 months before it was gone. I still worry and check his skin almost daily for any new redness and watch for him itching. Mites come back ( 15 day life cycle) I agree you might need to see a new Vet. Good Luck

P.S you can give your pup benadryl 2 x days, I used it for Blaze from 8 weeks on till the itching stopped. The Vet told me it would help and it did the poor guy the itching was bad, I felt so sorry for him.

gwenmclean
December 1st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Do I have to buy dog Benadryl or human? and how much do I use? The vet already diagnosed my dog, from the skin scraping he took. another question I had is: Can I buy a funnel(?) or cone.... I guess that's what you call them, would that help at all? I keep meaning to write down the Rx when I get home so I can let you all know, maybe I'll remember tonight? :thumbs up

how often should I bathe her? I've been doing it once a week sometimes longer. I don't want to dry out her skin.

And I'm happy to say that I think the bumps are starting to go away a little bit. She seems a lot softer, might just be because her hair is growing back? I don't know? Will her hair grown back on her head, it's pretty much bald! :(

jjgeonerd
December 1st, 2004, 02:26 PM
Gabby had the puppy version of mange caused from an underdeveloped immune system, we think because she was malnourished before being rescued.

She was on Ivermectin (I think) once a day for about 6 weeks. It is a liquid so we had to squirt it into her mouth. Our vet (who we like very much) said there are 2 available medicines...one is heartworm approved for use in dogs, which is very expensive. The other (Ivermectin I think) is also heartworm medication, but it isn't approved for dog use, but it is a LOT cheaper. However, it can have neurological side effects in some dogs, especially certain breeds, so you have to really watch your dog (stumbling, loss of coordination, etc) while on the meds. Gabby was not a high risk breed and we trust our vet, so we did that and she was OK.

That's my 2 cents! :thumbs up

goldenblaze
December 2nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Your dog can have 2 benadryl per day, I gave one at night and in the morning. As for the cone, I would not use one as the dog will be itchy and need to get to it, really it can drive your dog insane. The bumps you talk about is infection, and you can ask your Vet for Topagen it will help with the infection and itching. You wrote your vet did a skin scraping and it is mange, you must know which mange to treat it right! Mange can and will take months to treat and it might seem to get better but again they hatch again in 15-18 days. The dog must be treated many times and that is why I would not use the dips.... you can use revolution ( heartworn meds) if your dog has scartopic mange and it would take 2 treatments months for 3 months after that is finished a skin test is done again. I know here the dips can only be done at the Vet's office and when given a shot of Ivomec the dogs stays at the Vet for 2 hours after to make sure everything is ok.

I know how you feel and want it to go away right now.... I lived it and I cried many days as there was nothing I could do to stop my golden from suffering but it will go away, it just needs time and remember like fleas they will keep hatching till you get rid of them all.

Blaze still has a patch on his head with no hair.... iy has been 2 months since he had had the mange but it all takes a long time, I was told that sometimes the skin will stay red ( if your dog has demodex mange) never to go back to normal, Blaze's skin is starting to turn white again.
I don't bath him and give him fish oil in his food everyday to help with skin and coat.

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 05:50 PM
You should check with your veterinarian for the dose of Benedryl, it depends on the dog's weight. You use regular people Benadryl. You may be able to find out the dosage online, but you don't want to overdose! You can probably use the hotspot treatment that you already have on the dog, it might help sooth the itchiness. Also, although your dog wants to scratch, we all know that scratching only makes it worse. It doesn't feel any less itchy after you scratch, and the scratching irritates the skin more and opens wounds, causing further infections and scabbing. Use a cone if necessary to keep your dog from hurting itself. Mange is incredibly itchy and a dog will actually scratch itself to death to get relief. I would stick a cone on the poor thing and slather it in any kind of soothing ointment.

Most dogs don't require a bath more than once or twice a year. Obviously, you've got special circumstances, but bath as little as possible and only use the mildest shampoos you can find (oatmeal or sulphur will help with the itching).

goldenblaze
December 6th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure the bred or age of your dog but I do know that my puppy from 8 weeks till he was 7 mths took 2 benadryl daily! I gave one before bed and one sometime through out day when Blaze was itching the most. You don't need to buy baby this is adult that our Vet told us to give Blaze and he was fine. I would every so often only give the pill at night and watch all day to see if he really needed it and sometime only the night pill would be needed. Don't give unless needed but don't let the dog suffer with itching skin it can burn and cause infection. Good Luck