Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

non-people jobs

raingirl
November 29th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I was wondering if there are any jobs out there that exist that don't involve dealing with a lot of people. I'm getting a little sick of working with people.

lil_kirk
November 29th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Yes there are tons---but in the end most of us who do them wish for a happy medium between the two. I don't know what that would be---but I am sure someone out there has this job (I say THIS job bc I fear there may actually only be one sole position!).

I guess it would depend on what your skills are before figuring out what sort of non-public interative job you want to seek out. I personally miss my interaction with the public---don't get me wrong there were days when the mere thought of putting on a happy smile for one more rude customer would make me sick--but at the end of the day, the happy, genuine people made it worthwhile to be there.

Have you tried any of the quizzes on Monster.ca/.com? They have a lot of quizzes to help identify jobs that would suit your personality best. Give them a shot! Best of luck :)

Writing4Fun
November 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I presume you're referring to a "customer service" type of role? Yeah, I totally understand what you mean. :p We've all had days like those. My ex-coworkers and I had a little "daydream session" one day, about what we'd do with our time if money was no longer an issue (like winning the lottery or finding out you've inherited a fortune from some long-lost uncle). *Sigh* How does that commercial go? "Just imagine..."

ronanlouise
November 29th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Perhaps the key isn't to stop working with people, but to work with a more diversified group. It sounds like the people in your immediate life are bumming you out. I've been going through the same thing. Same people, same problems, why bother. So... since avoiding people indefinitely is next to impossible, and I might add- not very healthy, why not try a different circle of people? I'm sure you have way too much to offer to seal off your potential from the world. Why not spend some time with the often forgotten or dismissed- like today's children or the elderly. Teach a little one to read, or draw or share your own childhood wonders and see what they think. Pop on over to the old folks home and lend an ear to a lonely soul. Listen to their stories. Its a small investment for a lifetime of enrichment, for you and the child/elderly person. I learned more about history and the war from veterans than any media source can misconstrue.

Hope that wasn't too pushy, I'd just hate for you to miss your chance to make someone else's day that much better.

raingirl
November 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM
haha! Thanks guys. I'm just stressed today to the max as usual. I'm an insurance adjuster and really don't want to talk to people today!

lil_kirk
November 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Ah well--insurance adjusters might be the moderate in between level I was talking about!! hehe

On a bad day just thank you're lucky stars you are not one of the underpaid, underappreciated and overworked staffers at the local Tim Hortons....they work work work only to get the worst verbal beatings of all. In my mind they are true customer service soldiers.

raingirl
November 29th, 2004, 01:57 PM
true. I guess I can't complain when I see them. But to tell you the truth, I loved being a cashier and helping people that way. 1000 times better than what I do now. I used to work at a post office as well, and that was so fun!

louie's mum
November 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM
haha! Thanks guys. I'm just stressed today to the max as usual. I'm an insurance adjuster and really don't want to talk to people today!

hang in there raingirl ...

lil_kirk
November 29th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Awe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glasslass
November 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM
HaHaHa! We're people but I think it's a compliment that you still like talking to us! WOOF! MEOW! SPIFFF :D T!

doggy lover
December 2nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
I know what your saying, I'm a cook in a Nursing home and someone is always complaining if not the staff, one of the residents or their family. No one is ever happy. I was saying to a friend the other day I'd rather work with animals no matter what you do they will love you. :angel:

twinmommy
December 2nd, 2004, 08:20 PM
I agree, doggylover!! As a part-time hairdresser, sometimes I think I missed my calling as a groomer--and maybe I'd do a better job on the pets!!! :eek:

Keep your chin-up Raingirl...I know some days people are just brutal :(

maddoxies
December 2nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
Funny thing, I have been thinking of getting out of auditing and going into dog grooming. My biggest hesitation is that it is a physical job and I am not getting any younger.

I definately vote for working with the animals, rather than most people :crazy: