Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i have mice in my kitchen!!

jackieb
November 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I have mice in my cupboards well evidence of them like from them going to the toilet also holes in packets off food.

Any humane ideas of what to do.

mastifflover
November 29th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Sorry Jackie their is no humane way to get rid of them I have tried them all. If you go the humane root they keep coming back. You need to seal every little hole with steel wool they hate it. Then you need to put out either sticky traps or spring traps to catch them. Or if you can put rat works better than mouse poison out this works the best but it has to be out of reach of children and animals It is DEADLY to dogs and cats. But if you have cats I don't recommend the the poison because if they catch one that has ingested it they can become sick from it. By the way those things that cost about 35.00 bucks that give off a noise you cant hear dont work so I willl save you the money that I already wasted on it.

badger
November 29th, 2004, 11:29 AM
I think you might be right, sad but true. Also, mice carry viruses which can be transmitted by their droppings, so you need to be careful, especially around food. Anything that has been chewed open should be tossed.

jackieb
November 29th, 2004, 11:41 AM
thanks guys i discenfected the cupboards out the work surfaces etc i through all nibbled products out and will be sealing all holes this isnt my house but im telling them im doing this. Thanks for the tips on traps.

I do not have any pets yet but 3 small children so will have to be careful with the poision the kitchen has a stair gate on it so they cant get in it the children i mean!!

raingirl
November 29th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Mastiff, I had one of those noise things and it did work. As soon as it was plugged in, never saw any mouse dropping again!

krdahmer
November 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM
OK...here's what you'll need:

swiss cheese

1 pair kitchen tongs

1 flashlight (they're like deer in headlights)

A heaping load of patience

A container with air holes

A nice 'vacation' spot picked out for mousy

Oh...and most important... 1 CRAZY HUSBAND!

( Or maybe this just worked on the one we found trapped in the vents! Now picture all that and a 250lb man crouched over an air vent with gloves and tongs in hand!!!)

This actually worked for us, and all because my dad said "what? is he crazy?...you can't catch a mouse with a pair of tongs!".

Just thought you could use some comic relief... I know how annoying those little critters can be!

Heinz57
November 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Mine worked great for a month or so..but they reappeared. They become used to the sound I was told. I was also told that my animals would hear it too. I'm unsure if my animals heard it, they never reacted if they did (you can't use them if you have rodents as pets, guinea pigs and such). Rat poison, if you can use it safely has drawbacks, the mice die in walls and smell horrible! If you have several mice, they can really stink and then there are bugs! The horrors I remember from putting poison in our basement ugh ~shudders~ No cats so we didn't have that worry about them being eaten. Snap traps are best, peanut butter scented glue boards work for me, but they don't die, they scream and you have to move the board with pliers because you don't want to be bitten. You can't leave them any length of time or they will get off the glue boards. We are doing better after following this advice: Take a high-powered flashlight, and walk around the inside of your home shining the light towards the outside perimaters at night. Have someone outside to see any signs of the light shining through and plug any holes with steel wool or close them up with metal flashing, LOL I'm all for the stronger the better! The only way to get rid of mice for good is to stop them from getting into your house in the first place. Our main source was our attached garage. Also any place where wires/cables come in need to be sealed up. It's awful, I know, found them in my cupboards last year so I plugged all holes in the cupboards from the inside. Otherwise you have to close up outside entries and trap the ones you have inside. After our last battle, we found nine new babies under my daughters dresser :eek: :eek: :eek: . To think, if even half of them had nine more, and so on and so on...best of luck getting rid of them.

mastifflover
November 29th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah the noise thing worked for about a week and then they all moved back in. Did not bother my dog, mind you the mice don't phase him either. They also love oatmeal so I use a little peanut butter rolled in rat poison and then rolled in oatmeal that I would have thrown out since the little buggers ate through the package they might as well have it all.

lilith_rizel
November 29th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Mice will cause many problems in a house, especially with electric wires and such. I prefer using poison or a spring trap. It kills them faster than the sticky traps, and they don't have to suffer as long. I think it is the most humane way. And it still makes me feel bad. I think that mice are kinda cute, but I don't feel like having an electrical fire, and loosing all my possesions because of them.

twinmommy
November 29th, 2004, 01:42 PM
My parents live in the country and they swear by dryer sheets!! I have never heard of this my self, but you just lay down a few Fleecy sheets, or whatever brand you want, in the cupboards and drawers, there is something in there that repels them. Change them every couple weeks I guess (?)

worth a try?
I'm curious, so let me know if this works :)

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 02:24 PM
As you know I have 3 cats,so no problem in the house :thumbs up but we had field-mice in our shed,they built nests and chewed the wires in our snow-blower,lawn-mower,leaf-blower and weed-whacker.....at a great cost to fix every year.
My husband put out blocks of poison,probably a horrible way to die,but I think better than being trapped in something and we have no more mice.
I found another nest with babies under a pile of branches,but did not tell hubbie,since they were away from the shed I leave them be...they are awfully cute :p
If any of my cats catch one,hubbie to their dismay,take them away right away,in case they have poison in them.
I know someone who has an electronic thingy at his cottage and he said it worked great.

melanie
November 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM
you can buy and hire small traps for the mouse that are the trap door type and dont kill it, then find the nearest rotten neighbor and drop it in their garden. we have mice all the time at the mo because of the drought, and even the fanciest of housewife is finding she has mice too. i jsut leave them, our food cupboards are good and they cnat get in, so i jsut let them do what they want, and i find eventually the ones here leave. but then i had mice for pets so i dont really mind them at all.

but i remember as a child about 5yrs we had a mouse in the wall and it was breeding, i used to stuff food in the wall for it to eat as i thought it was hungry, that is till mum caught me. :crazy: :D

louie's mum
November 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM
although the idea of killing stuff bothers me, there's a new trap being marketed that's self contained so kids and pets won't be harmed.
it's made by a well known company (of course i can't remember it at the moment :mad: but the mouse goes in and is quickly exterminated and it stays contained. u don't even see it.
i'll post when i see the commercial again ... sorry bout that.

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Mel,I know how you feel,they are cute...my cats never draw blood on any mouse,but love to torture it,the poor things are terrified :sad: and I'll not let that go on.I usually put them over to our animal-hating neighbor,but I have a feeling they come right back here,since I have bird-feeders and stuff... :D

mastifflover
November 29th, 2004, 04:55 PM
There lies the problem if you set them free they just keep coming back must like my dogs food and the good junk food. But they have destroyed bath sheets that were packed in boxes that had never been used and my favorite linens so I am cold and heartless now when it comes to mice. But if someone has a more humane way as long as they die quickly is better. Sorry but I threw out over a 1000.00 in new linens and towel that I had been buying and storing for when I buy a house of course they do love egyptian cotton at 300 thread count.

melanie
November 29th, 2004, 04:58 PM
there are several very humane ways of destroying an animal, i will not tell you the detail as you do not know who is reading this but there are several approved methods. but if you want to know some, go and see your vet, they should be able to let you know some of our killer secrets :p :evil: :D

DogueLover
December 1st, 2004, 08:51 AM
Someone mentioned that they will let the mice do as they want since they raised them and had them as pets when they were younger, and I can see how you may want to do that. However, mice you get as pets are not like wild mice, wild mice have diseases and although I do not know where all of you are from I am curious if you know the difference between the common field mouse and deer mice? Deer mouse droppings can be fatal to humans. There is a virus that you can get from dealing with deer mouse droppings called HANTA virus. It can be fatal to humans. I don`t have mice living in town but I did when we lived in the country, and because I don`t want to have to catch every mouse and check if it is a deer mouse or not, I exterminate every mouse I see, better to be safe than sorry when it comes to mice in my home.