Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chico

Iggette
November 29th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Many of you may remember I posted a long time ago about racoons ....anyway....Very long story short.....

This is Chico he resides on our property because no one else wanted him :( and his fate would have been euthenization :sad: .

Since the tender age of about 4 weeks to the present Chico has lived a rather luxurious lifestyle. At present, he is in somewhat of a hibernation. There are many different pics that I'm going to post so I will just add them slowly.

Hope you enjoy them as I much as I enjoyed taking the pics and sharing in this amazing life experience

Note from Chico: I want to thank my namesake for helping Mom through the difficult times. She has really appretiated the heartfelt support and encouragement you gave her :thumbs up . Not to mention I got a cool name :cool: out of it.....thanks :love:

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Awwww Iggette,I am so glad you finally posted the pics for everyone to see,you did a wonderful thing with the one surviving baby,many people would not have cared..and look at him now,you should be so very proud of yourself :thumbs up They are wonderful,I suppose to some annoying,but they have as much right to live as any other animal on this planet,people included.

Mistruzzi
November 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM
:) He's so cute,especially in the first picture and the picture with the tires!Do you ever get to hold him or is he too wild?

lil_kirk
November 29th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Look how much he's grown from the first picture to the last one! He's a big boy now---obviously there is no lacking of food for this little guy. He looks well taken care of!

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Mistruzzi......I wish I had a camera when he was little he would get so messy when eating that I had to bath him just in plain water of course but he loved it especially when it was over cause he got to sit on my lap and be cuddled and dried off. He knows me very well and will let me handle him. He loves his back and neck to be scratched especially by his ears. I built him an enclosure when he was younger but as he got stronger he finally broke loose and now has run of the place.

In the last pic....shoes pretty well that he loves to fondle my hands ....I call it the hand shake

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 02:29 AM
you will notice in the pics that are in the enclosure that we have rubber boots on chico had a thing for feet always grabbed them to play he would never hurt but those little teeth were sharp so we never took any chances. I think he liked the rubber for teething....lol

chico2
December 3rd, 2004, 09:11 AM
Iggette...wonderful pics!! They kind of opened up the flood-gates :sad: thinking of my two little ones(not tame!)who did not even live to be 1yr old.
I know you had desperate times and no help when you found the babies,but it must be a wonderful experience being able to be so close to Chico,I am really envious....
I am glad he did not decide to leave his wonderful home yet,maybe he'll get the urge of the wild in the spring...when it gets warmer.
I sent you a pm,but I don't think you got it,my PC shut down :mad:

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 09:22 AM
A few more taken in september

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Hey chico......lol No I didnt get the PM

I also hope he will get more adventurous I am going to show him the way to the swamp in the spring. He loves frogs, worms grubs and the water so he should have fun there and perhaps decide to stay who knows. :thumbs up

Have your other babies been comming back at all?

I often wonder what would happen if Chico found a mate in the spring if he would bring her to meet us :p Sounds like a movie.....lol

chico2
December 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
No,I found the small female on the road a few weeks ago and last week the larger male,so they will not becoming back :sad: :sad:
My backyard is large and private,but I front on a busy main road...

Iggette
December 3rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Awwww that is sad :sad: :sorry: but I guess a part of life ... if all racoons made it to have a full life could you imagine how many there would be :eek: sadly road kill is very prevalent out here :sad: I wish raccoons would be more careful at night thank goodness my drive is very long and chico has not wandered that way as far as I know but who knows what he was doing at night.....so In the spring I will teach him to wander in the other direction. I have been looking at alot of pics of raccoons lately and chico looks the same as all the rest hard to tell apart.....except for his hind toenail it never grew back properly but all his front toenails are normal now and all grown in :thumbs up

chico2
December 3rd, 2004, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately these two I could tell who they were,the little female had a very short stubby tail and the male had a bald spot on his head,probably from fleas.... :sad:
Humane Society came to pick them up....well,at least they had plenty of food the short time they lived.

Iggette
December 4th, 2004, 06:44 AM
when I treated my cats and dogs for fleas I put a little on chico as well :D

I'm going to ask my vet if he will give chico shots next spring for distemper and rabies :eek: I'm almost sure he will after all it was him who convinced me to keep chico to rehome him but all his resourses he gave me came up zero :( So I'll tell him he MUST help me :p

chico2
December 4th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Iggette,I can't see why he wouldn't,after all you give him plenty of business :p and by giving Chico a rabies-shot he is also protecting your family and other animals.
I can see Chico finding a mate in the spring,bringing her and eventual babies to your house,after all it's a wonderful place to live,lot's of food and good care :crazy:

glasslass
December 4th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Aww Iggie! Seems like I'm always trying to catch up on the posts. This was the first one I opened this morning and what a pure delight! I love the little house you made for Chico out of hay bales. I would imagine it provides wonderful insulation. I've never seen that here in Calif. Chico is just adorable! Love the pix in the tree with Dave. :thumbs up

Iggette
December 4th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks Glasslass, those were in his enclosure which he is no longer in but I did the same up in the loft out back of my house, the mice are thanking me for it I'm sure :D

Iggette
December 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM
OMG :eek: chico dont even say that......lol I was hoping Chico would move in with his girlfriend......lmao.....besides from what I've read mom and mate split when babies are born apparently the male might eat the young :eek: but time will tell :rolleyes: