Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cold weather and cats and dogs

psl_023
November 29th, 2004, 01:05 AM
should dogs be kept indoors at nite when it gets cold out?
and if so, at what temperature should they be brought
in at??

DogueLover
November 29th, 2004, 01:39 AM
I can only answer your question based on my choice, my dog is inside most of the time anyway, she is family. She stays indoors all winter from late fall thru late spring. In the summer she will sleep in her dog house outside ( in the dog run inside our fenced yard) because she likes to be outside, but even when it is hot outside she is indoors ( to enjoy the a/c like we do)

My thinking is that if you were to be given the choice to sleep outside in the cold or indoors where you are safe and warm............... how cold would it have to be for you to pick sleeping indoors?

Hope this helps ;)

Bugsy
November 29th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Is this the same Rottie puppy you mentioned in other posts? This pup is 5-6 months old no?

Inside good / Outside bad

Duh !

CyberKitten
November 29th, 2004, 08:42 AM
This should be common sense though here, often TV news anchors will rotinely remind "pet owners" (I take umrage with the word "owner", given that Yin Yin tends to own me, lol) to make sure their pets are in safely on cold nights.

Yin Yin is an indoor cat (and I hate to cite anectodal evidence since it is not that useful, just interesting) but she yowls big time and it was 12C (55F) when I took her out for five seconds this AM (she happened to be in my arms when I picked up the newspaper).

That said, I would never leave a dog of any age but especially a puppy - at anything under 5C or 40F. Seriously, puppies should never be kept outside at night - or the daytime either for that matter!!! No responsible dog owner would leave their dog out at night - and there is really no such entity as an "outdoor dog". That is just neglect - and that is not an opinion but a fact. Even northern mushers (usually Siberians or Huskies) are kept inside at night. (and those that are not have been cited for neglect).

lil_kirk
November 29th, 2004, 09:16 AM
On that note cyberkitten...no unspayed or unneutered cat or dog should be left outdoors alone--male dogs can smell a girl in heat and will jump fences to have her.

CyberKitten
November 29th, 2004, 09:24 AM
They should be kept in by all means necessary!! If an "owner" is irresponsible enough to have an uneutered animal, they can put up with the caterwalling. They deseve it!

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 09:28 AM
We've had this argument soooo many times...NO dog/cat should be left out in the cold,ever!
I realize "farm dogs/cats"lead different lives from our house-pets,but I am hoping even they have a warm barn to keep out of the cold.
I figure if I am cold outside,my dog/cat is too..
I take my cats out every day,even in winter...looking out the window,they do not know that the white stuff is cold and they quickly want back in when they find out :D

Writing4Fun
November 29th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Yes, this is a very old and tiresome arguement.

psl_023, to answer your questions: Yes, dogs (and cats) should be kept indoors when it gets cold out. At what temp? Put a coat on and go outide. If it's too cold for you to sleep out there, then it's too cold for your pets.

Anyone who is thinking of posting that your dog is an outdoor dog and likes it that way, prefers to be outdoors, I will challenge you and say that you are incorrect. Dogs are pack animals by nature. You are this animal's pack. It wants to be with you. Any dog that "prefers" to be outside, alone, is only behaving that way because it was raised that way. I know of dogs that were "outdoor" dogs all their lives, and then brought indoors when rescued. Sure, they whine, pace, complain, scratch at the door for a while. Because they're not "used to" being inside. Given time and training, though, they ALL settle in and learn to love family life indoors. It's what they were built for, after all.

Yes, my parents lived in a rural area in the "old country", had lots of outdoor farm dogs running around, fed them table scraps, etc... They also had to live with war and didn't go to school beyond the 2nd grade. Does that mean it's ok to live that way or that I want to??

moontamara
November 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I grew up on a hobby farm, and a lot of what we thought was okay then seems totally not okay to me now. Some of our pets were supposed to be indoor/outdoor pets, but my allergies forced them outside (my parents' choice, not mine). They did worry about the severe cold of northwestern Ontario, and my dad went to the work of building very well insulated houses and heating them with electricity (lightbulbs). Of course, when the temperature got ridiculously cold, in they came.

I would never own a pet that couldn't be inside with me now, however -- but if I was stuck in that situation I would suggest you at least consider building or buying a heated doghouse -- and I hope your dog doesn't have to be outside alone all the time, because he must be lonely out there!

louie's mum
November 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM
someone mentioned the fact that dogs are pack animals. obviously if there is only one dog he has noone to curl up with to gather extra body heat.
BRING UR PETS INSIDE. i like the idea of "if it's too cold for u to sleep outside, it's too cold for them". hell i'd have trouble handling 70 degree nights. then again, i'm an italian greyhound ;) and a real suck so there it is :D

GsdDiamond
November 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM
A Rotti has such short hair, why would you want to subject your poor puppy to the possibility of freezing his ears/feet/tail or possibly getting hypothermia and dying? A Rotti is not a member of the Spitz family and should not be left outside any longer than to play with you, do it's business or go for a walk with you. To leave your dog outside any longer is cruel. If you must leave your dog outside, get it a heated dog house, as was mentioned.

Leave your dog outside, without a properly heated dog house, overnight, and you're into the "cruelty to animals" level of neglect.

Start getting your dog used to staying indoors more and more, like I've done with mine. Eventually he'll know that cold weather means outside, pee/poop, inside, lovins. He'll be happier for it!

Pataflafla
December 22nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
As much as we all love our pets, I would like to remind everyone here that our pets are not people. Of course, whether or not your dog or cat can withstand cold or hot temperatures to a certain degree largely depends on his/her breed and coat type, but it is ridiculous to make the sweeping generalization that "if it's too cold for you, then it's too cold for your pet."

First of all, think about different types of wild dogs (wolves, coyotes, dingos, foxes, etc.). These animals are extremely close relatives to our domesticated dogs today, yet they have no trouble suviving in freezing arctic conditions or a hot dry desert, as long as their basic needs for food, water, and shelter are met. I'm not saying that it is wise to leave any pet in such extreme conditions, but it is important to realize that dogs and cats are built the way they are with their particular coats for a particular reason. Dogs with thick, dense coats can be just fine living in temperatures down to around freezing as long as they are accustomed to it. Likewise, though, a shorthaired dog (such as a greyhound or dauchshound) needs to be indoors at all times. Also, a dog's coat is not exactly they same as your coat or my coat. In addition to keeping a dog warm, a dogs coat can double as protection from heat and sunlight in the warmer months (to a certain degree of course, and again depending on the type of coat). With that said, it really doesn't help your short- or medium-haired dog if you cut off his coat for the summer. If anything, you increasing his chances of getting a sunburn.

One of my family's dogs is an "outside dog," and I am completely serious when I say that she likes it just fine. She has a very larged fenced area to run around in and an insulated dog house (fit to her size) with bedding (usually cedar shavings). The climate where we live is fairly mild, but when temperatures do drop below freezing, she can come inside for the night. However, this is not always the best thing for her during the day or at times when the temperature is cold, but not really extreme. Being a pitbull-huskey mix, she has a very dense coat which grows in for the winter. In our house we like to keep warm with a wood stove. While we are nice and cozy inside, Abbey will actually pace and ask to go back out where it is cooler, simply because she is accustomed to the winter weather and her coat is built for that kind of a lifestyle. She actually probably spends more time in the house during the summer months because the air conditioning is helpful to cool her down. Similarly, our cat is an indoor-outdoor cat, meaning that he can go in and out during the day when he is supervised, but he goes out at night, simply because we do not care to wake up with him at 5 AM. We have left our cats out to temperatures down to around 25 degrees farenheit and had no problems finding them in the morning. They are smart animals, built to survive outside, and they know how to find warm little spots to curl up in and sleep.

Now, all of this rant isn't to say that everyone here is wrong. Sure, our pets probably love it if they can live in a warm, temperature controled environment 24/7. However, they do just fine in cooler environments as well, given that they are the type of pet that is equipped to live that way. I don't believe for a second that having a mostly outdoor pet means that you are an abusive or neglectful pet owner. Some pets just simply do better outside, and for some owners that is the only option. As far as I see it, just don't subject your pet to the most extreme temperatures, and be sure to provide them with adequate shelter, and they should be just happy and fine. :thumbs up

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Two dogs are left outside ALL the time all year around. As rough as it seems, unfortunately there's not a thing that the SPCA can do about this because its not illegal to leave dogs outside. But there's more.

There used to be two huskies, one of which died (unknown reasons) so the owner gets a lab puppy. Now the lab is a grown up puppy but is bullied by the remaining husky. There's no spot in the huskies rotten and mouldy dog house for the lab, so he has to attempt to sleep with barely any shelter in the blisteringly cold winds, rain, snow and ALL weather, shivering away. The lab constantly yelps for attention, and they are both clearly starved of love. They look like dogs that have been "working" in a mill all their lives and can't understand why someone would be interested in them when we look over their way.

Most importantly, the husky severely attacks the lab randomly. The labs yelps out with pain, and runs away limping on back and front legs and licking what looks like blood (from a distance).

The owner is barely ever home, and although we believe she does feed and provide water for these dogs, this person who claims to be an animal lover, never plays with them, never shows affection to them, never takes them anywhere, never lets them inside (or barely). They yelp all through the night, wanting to get in when it gets really cold. Other times they just plain suffer in silence.

We have tried calling the SPCA. But the SPCA doesn't exist in White Rock. The City Commissioners who do the job of the spca in white rock have been out several times and claimed to fine this person for neglect or disturbance after hours, but no fines have been made.

My concerns are for the lab's well being, as he is being constantly attacked by the husky, and doesn't have the same kind of winter coat to deal with this harsh weather as the husky - similar cases have frozen to death. BOTH dogs need a good home.

There must be something we can do! Please help! Its breaking my heart to see this. The white rock city commissioners are doing nothing! Isn't there some group of people out there that seizes dogs from bad owners? If there was ever an opportunity to do it its here.

jflovel
January 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Look - sure maybe a dog can "survive" in the cold in the wild. But when you bring a pet into your family, leaving it outside is just plain wrong.

Why do you bother having pets if you just confine them to the yard all the time? In the wild they run around and do what they want, and they also huddle together for warmth.

In the case I described, a pet owner who loosely goes by the "outside" rule, keeps her dogs outside in below freezing, gale winds, sleet, snow, rain you name it. If people who dare to ask the question "how cold is too cold?" had any common sense then maybe we wouldnt have a problem with this inside outside thing, and as you say, some dog breeds are built for it and used to it.

Dogs are very intelligent, and they have feelings. if you choose to have one its like having a child.

chico2
January 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM
jflovel,the only thing I can suggest,is to"steal"the lab,whisk him away to somewhere safe,since noone else is willing to help.
I know it's not recommended to do anything illegal and the Forum certainly does not condone it,but a pups life is at stake:sad:
I assume you have spoken to the owner,aired your feelings,I know I could not watch this helpless pup without doing something,he cannot help himself,someone has to.:dog:
PS.you should have made your own thread,this one is from 2004..