Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy throwing up, bump on tummy

Halz5
November 28th, 2004, 10:07 PM
My girl friend has a 6 week old Peekapoo (sp?) that just started throwing up lastnight and today, atleast 5 times. The dog also has a big bump on his stomach and diarrhea. She just got the puppy about a week ago and is going nuts. She plans on taking it to the vet tomorrow but we, she, was hoping she could get some kind of answer tonight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bugsy
November 28th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Please rush this puppy to the vet ASAP... this may be Parvo. Parvo is fatal in puppies without immediate medical attention. Go to the emergency vet right know!!

CyberKitten
November 28th, 2004, 10:19 PM
If I were your gf or you, I would get the puppyy to the vet asap!! Is there an ER clinic where you live? Even simple vomiting in a such a tiny puppy (just as it is more serious in a young child who can becvome dehdrated very quickly!!) can be potentially fatal!! It could be just a reaction to something or he might have eaten something he should not have but since he is so little, I would not take any chances. If you "adopted" him from a reputable breeder, it could be any one of these minor things - or even just anxiety at being in a new home BUT if he came from a back yard breeder or puppy mill (and 99% of all pet stores dogs start out their young lives in these unfortunate venues), it could be something as serious as parvo. (I do not want to scare you but I do not know the history here)

I do hope it is nothing (young puppies (or kittens for that matter) can have digestive probs even with new food) but I would find a vet quickly! In the meantime, try to rehydrate him (if you have eye droppers or syringes, you can give him water) and there are other types of foods that are good for a puppy that needs to eat. But my guess is he needs rehydration SOON!!

Good luck! I hope it is just a minor ailment!

Writing4Fun
November 28th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Agreed!! This puppy is seriously underage and very vulnerable right now (he should not have left his mom for another 2 weeks at least! :eek: ). Diarrhea (sp?) and vomiting in a pup this young will be fatal if not treated immediately. You need to find an emergency vet yesterday. Call your regular vet - they'll most likely have an emergency/after hours number you can call. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Halz5
November 28th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks for such a quick response, wish their was better news, we dont know of any ER vets in the area as we are new to the area, can anyone explain the bump on the tummy? Her sister got a puppy too westietoo (sp?) from the same place, just a person's house with a ton of dogs. Nothing is wrong with the westietoo (sp?) is Parvo contegious? And what is it? With the other dog not being sick is it any less likely to be parvo? Thanks again.

Bugsy
November 28th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Tell us where you are located..... we will find you a vet.

Yes parvo is very contagious...

Link

http://www.petschoice.com/petinfo/parvo.htm

Halz5
November 28th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the help, and the link. I am hoping since the dogs have been close for atleast a week (probably llonger since they came from the same place) that its not parvo.

Also thanks for the offer to find a vet, but her mom doesn't seem to care (not sure if that sounds worse than it is...) i guess they are planning on going to the vet first thing in the morning.

Bugsy
November 28th, 2004, 10:47 PM
You know what Marko... you're right. Lock away.

Lucky Rescue
November 29th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Anyone who can afford to ignorantly buy designer puppies from disgusting puppy mills can afford to take care of them properly.

These are not toys or props and they will die without vet care, which you are morally and LEGALLY obligated to provide.

You can sue the puppymiller for the cost of vet care and I hope you've learned a lesson. Just too bad it has to be at the expense of these tiny puppies. :mad:

Puppy mills Canada (http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/what_is_a_puppy_mill.htm)

Halz5
November 29th, 2004, 09:29 PM
LuckyRescue, i know that wasnt a shot at me and i know ur not calling me ignorant.

i dont know if this was a "puppy mill" and frankly i dont care. And we did take the thing to the vet today, it wasnt parvo, the dog has a hernia (sp?) and its too little to operate, in a month they are having surgery.

Karin
November 29th, 2004, 09:51 PM
LuckyRescue, i know that wasnt a shot at me and i know ur not calling me ignorant.

i dont know if this was a "puppy mill" and frankly i dont care. And we did take the thing to the vet today, it wasnt parvo, the dog has a hernia (sp?) and its too little to operate, in a month they are having surgery.

You presented yourself and the puppy's problem with very little info. This scares us...we see a person with very little animal skills and an emergency to boot. Most pet owners call a vet FIRST when faced with an emergency. Then log on for answers.

Umbilical hernias are common. The vomiting & diarrhea is not.

"And you did take the thing to a vet today."

What "thing" are you referring too? Please do not say the puppy!

Writing4Fun
November 29th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Halz5, I can guarantee you that these puppies were purchased at a mill or BYB. Anyone who breeds these "designer dogs" - and more than one version of them - is certainly a miller. :mad: "It's too little to operate." I have news for your gf - it's too little for a lot of things - another sure-fire sign that it's a miller's pup! You say you don't care. That may well be, since it's not your dog, right? But your gf and her sister will care when they are shelling out pay check after pay check to get vet attention for the pups. Look, before I came onto this board, I had no idea what a puppy mill was. That's why we're all here - to learn something new about the world our pets inhabit. ;) Just don't let anger close your mind. Puppy mills are terrible. Please read (and have your gf, her sister and her mom read) the link LuckyRescue gave you.

Agree with Karin. Umbilical hernias are normal. Actually, I'd consult another vet, if I were your gf, because they normally don't need surgery. Also, the vomiting and diarrhea are not symptoms of an umbilical hernia, so she'll want to get a second opinion on that as well.

No one here wants to judge you or your gf. We're all just very worried about the poor puppies.

Shelly
November 29th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Why was this poor little puppy taken from it's mother at only 5 weeks old? I know it wasn't your decision to separate this pup from it's mom, but it is way too young to be on it's own. :sad:

heeler's rock!
November 30th, 2004, 11:31 AM
5 weeks is rediculously young to have a puppy separated from it's mum!!! You should have done more research on getting a puppy before you got one. Tell your girlfriend that she'd better be prepared for SERIOUS psychological issues with this pup as it gets older, and if she wants to fix these issues, she'd better have a healthy bank account! There will be some major separation anxiety, learning problems, and much, much more. Your dog definitely came from a puppy mill or byb and the reason you got this pup so early is so that they can get rid of the pups so mum can produce more for profit. :mad:

Copper'sMom
November 30th, 2004, 11:42 AM
This thread makes me sick! :mad: This is exactly why people should have a licence to own a dog!!

Halz5
November 30th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Alright, i really appreciate the help from the people in the beggining but some of u people are ****ing off your rocker, for one, its just a dog. And 2 you act like its a crime for parents to want to buy their little girls some puppies. Instead of attacking the "ignorant" puppy buyers why dont you go attack the puppy "mill"

And the reason we came here first instead of consulting a vet was because we have been in the area for about 2 weeks and it was 10 at night, we dont know of a vet in the area and a puppy throwing up doesnt to me mean go to the vet at 10 oclock at night.

Copper's mom, the way some posters here treat new people TRYING to help their puppy makes me sick.

Shannon83
November 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
you don't sound like much of animal lover cause a dog is more then just a dog, it's a family member and their be no puppy mills if people wouldn't buy from them. those who want the best for their pet... don't care what time a day it is when their animal is sick and will do everything they can just to get then to the vet, those who don't are just as bed as those who own puppy mills.

peppy85
November 30th, 2004, 02:39 PM
i agree with halz5 i got my puppy for an amish farmer when she was 6weeks and shes 3 yrs know and is perfectlly normal i agree that puppy mills are bad places but go attack the mills and just cuz a puppy vomets doesnt mean you have to rush it to the vet it may have just eaten to much they do that

peppy85
November 30th, 2004, 02:41 PM
you know were i live there are no vets that are open past 8pm so its kinda hard to get them to the vet if there isnt one to go to

mastifflover
November 30th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Alright, i really appreciate the help from the people in the beggining but some of u people are ****ing off your rocker, for one, its just a dog. And 2 you act like its a crime for parents to want to buy their little girls some puppies. Instead of attacking the "ignorant" puppy buyers why dont you go attack the puppy "mill"
Well you know what you both sound so blase about the whole thing. It is just a dog do you care about it at all or is this one of those dogs who will outgrow its cuteness and end up in a shelter? Do you plan on spaying or neutering these animals? Part of responsible pet ownership is knowing where the closest emerg. clinic is, some basic knowledge which you could get in a book, and sites like this full of pet owners and animal lovers that are willing to help. In a puppy this young throwing up is very serious this pup should not even have left its mother yet. We do care that is why we said get to a vet, parvo is so common in these breeding machines and they dont care they will still sell the pup there big concern is your money and that is all.
The next thing is that more than a few pups on here that came from BYB or puppymills have died from parvo to left their genuinely concerned and loving owners trying to save their puppies at anytime of the day or night and sparing no expense, I think you need to grow up and be responsible or go back to owning toys.
Well you know what if you ever really come to care about these dogs and something serious comes up you are certainly going to find out what it is like to search high and low in the middle of the night to find an emergency clinic to save your dogs life but then again from your attitude it can wait till morning and oh well if the dog dies.

heeler's rock!
November 30th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Peppy, your heeler may seem okay, but I'll guarentee you that when she doesn't feel like listening to you, she doesn't. Both my heelers are rescues and were taken away from mum too early, and man, they seem good on the surface, but there are a lot of quirks underneath that I have been working on since I brought them home. I have never, EVER met a good dog that was taken away from mum before 8 weeks, that didn't require a heck of a lotta work to get them there.

Heinz, we know that you didn't know any better before your gf got her pup, and that's fine. A lot of us were ignorant before coming here too, but now that we have enlightened you, you still don't seem too genuinely concerned about your pup. This little life depends on humans to take care of it, and if we don't, then who will? Trust me, a lot of us DO go after the puppy millers and the BYB's, but we need to educate more people on the effects of these places so they don't go there again, and so they don't encourage anyone else to go there either. If you don't care about this pup you have and saving it when it needs your help, then please don't come here anymore. This is a place for animal lovers, not people who believe it's "just a dog".

louie's mum
November 30th, 2004, 04:27 PM
i have to respond ...
edit : Halz ... stop and re-read ur posts and see if u sound like someone who gives a hoot about this pup or any other?
"i don't care about puppy mill", "the thing", "it's just a dog" come to mind.
then ask urself (honestly), "gee if i put it this way on an animal lover/animal advocate type of forum, what kind of response can i reasonably expect"?
should be pretty obvious why u rec'd the terse responses, some anger and attitude all legit, imho.
grow up and quit trolling for trouble.

Karin
November 30th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I would like to see this thread locked. I believe it is obviously going nowhere except to incite a riot.

If one ounce of help for this puppy would come out of this thread, it would be worth all the steam and rises in blood pressure on this board...but I cannot see this happening.

Maybe there is no puppy?

CyberKitten
November 30th, 2004, 06:16 PM
One has to wonder Karin. I did not even realize Peekaboo was a dog breed until I recaled the labradoodles et al, sighhhhhhhhhh (Inbred bad breeding to me!!) And then he calls the dog "a thing" and says it is just a dog. OMG - who IS this character was all I could think? If they with hold vet care, it is illegal - and it is easy to locate anyone online so I hope he remembers that!! (If he is going to be mean to a defenseless puppy!!)

Lucky Rescue
November 30th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Now we see why puppy millers continue to thrive - ignorance and uncaring attitudes prevail in the "I want what I want when I want it, and don't care how I get it." and seeing living creatures as "things", merchandise, status symbols and toys mentality. Couple this with the refusal to be educated or even care a tiny bit and further argument is futile.

I pity these poor little creatures.

Enough of this.