Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Quick Question About Exercise :)

les
November 28th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I just had my 6 month old chocolate lab spayed on Thursday. She was really sleepy when I picked her up after the surgery but seems to be back to her old self again .... she's wild & crazy ;)

I was just wondering how much exercise is too much for the next couple of weeks? The vet said to keep it limited - walks 5-10 minutes to see how she does. We've been doing that today and she's fine - in fact she wants to stay out longer!

Would it be okay to go for a 20 or a 30 minute leash walk with her? I know she shouldn't go off the leash because of the stiches.

I feel like a mean mommy making her come back inside as she looks longingly down the street!

The vet is closed til tomorrow morning and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions about it.

Lucky Rescue
November 28th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I would do as the vet says. Just like with children, we have to make our pets do what is best for them and for their own safety.

You're not being "mean" by making your dog take it easy. She has had major surgery! She doesn't know what's best for her. Think how much meaner you would feel if you let your dog overdo it and she injured herself and you had to rush her to an emergency vet!