Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Request

badger
November 27th, 2004, 09:45 PM
As you head out to the stores this season, please express your solidarity with the victims of a murderous regime, one which is clamouring for respectability in the world community and alas, having some success, due to its enormous economic clout.

I am speaking of China, which daily oppresses, imprisons and murders its own citizens and others (Tibet), who dare to claim their rights. Except the right to pile up money, the new Chinese god. The current regime thinks that if this thirst for material goods is slaked, the people will be satisfied. They are wrong, but they need our 'help' to come to this realisation.

So when you pick up an item with the ubiquitous label, Made in China, put it down. Please.

http://www.buyhard.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

moontamara
November 28th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Hmm... I haven't been much for checking labels since I moved to Korea (sometimes it's just exciting to find what you need and there is only one choice), but now that I know my way around and speak the language, I should go back to making an effort to avoid supporting sweatshop labour, etc. Thank you for the reminder!

chico2
November 28th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Badger,I do generally not buy anything with the"made in China label"...but my husband pointed out yesterday that a can of asparagus I had bought came from China :eek: My answer to him:Well,at least they don't torture Asparagus!!
But you are right,it's scary the way China and some other Asian countries are becoming super-powers in manufacturing.Greedy company owners moving their place of business to make triple the profit.
It's morally wrong,knowing these factory workers do not benifit from any of our labour-laws or human rights,but the $$$$ speaks for the few who are becoming very wealthy,while the people are nothing but slave-labour.
There is gross injustice being done here,especially our dealings with China..
I know in France,the heads of many European countries discussed just this problem,but it also involved big companies moving to former communist countries in eastern Europe,paying slave-labour wages,while unemployment is on a steady rise in Europe.

lilith_rizel
November 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Is there an article that I can read on what is going on over there? I would like to read up on this issue, and be more educated on it.

melanie
November 28th, 2004, 03:55 PM
i haven ot brought their products for ages, although i worry about not doing it as i dont wnat to starve the slave labor and sweat shop workers in china.

well those injustices are horrific and the fact that china kill baby girls :mad: and right this very minute a sweet little angel is dying in pain, no medicaiton, no one to even wipe her tiny little brow with a wet cloth for comfort, no one to hold her (they can be purchased for around AU$10 000) baby girls bodies are dumped on the streets in some areas (this is all resultant of 1 child policy) and if you doubt what i am saying there is a myriad of information about these girls on the net. these ppl are animals and nothing more.

but good luck with any support, ppl dont actually really care, if they did there is no way china would have gotten the olympics, the international community basically approves of chinas practices and have proven this through support for the games, by letting them have it the world says 'do what you want and we will come and spend lots of money in your economy'.

for the past 2 years i have told all i can of this problem, and i am hoping i stop even one person going to those games, and i have informed all my friends and family if they attend any of the games they will no longer be welcome under my roof, i do not support killers or those who think it is ok to kill for sports (my inlaws are talking about going, :mad: screw them, they know what will happen)..

i wish i had digi cam to show you but i made a tshirt about this, i just used a big black texta on white tshirt in black it says 'HUMAN RIGHTS BEFORE SPORT, BAN THE BEiGiNG OLYMPICS' and i have put a sign on the back of my car also. but do you know what, out of the hundred or so ppl i have told about this, i have yet to see anyone of them care enough to do something praticle, ppl really dont care and esp when it is a prob in another country and if you do care your some sort of hippee or freak, wel lthats the way it is here.. look we humans have the power to stop these mongrels, if we banned together it would stop, but sadly ppl jsut cant be bothered.

and governments dont care, we have governments running around with big guns in other countries shooting them all because they say their governments committed attrocities, BS, if that was how the mjr world powers operated we would not be having this conversation, perhaps china just has no natural resources such as coal or OIL that the big powers want, so they wont stop it, there is nothing in it for them and there is nothign to steal so they will et the baby girls die, its nothing to them..

if you really want to get them, support a ban of the olympics till they straighten up, there is so much money in these sports and it is worth billions to their govt, if the world really cares those games wont happen (yep im sure that will ever happen).

boy no wonder the suicide rate just keeps going up and up, what a crappy world in which we live, or should i say what crappy humans we have to share it with in a world in which governments will only help for financial gain and see no value in a girls life..doesnt give me much hope for a nice and kind future :sad:

chico2
November 28th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Mel,I agree with everything you say,I too was shocked when Beijing got the Olympics and they have no other national resources than their opressed people.The one-child policy is a deathsentence for many baby-girls,since a daughter is not expected to take care of their elders..... There is BIG money to be made in China for all the fat-cat company-owners all over the world.
I wish the athletes would boycot the Olympics,without athletes there would be no Olympics...The people are suffering anyway,not having the Olympics would not change their life at all.
Even here in Toronto,we have Chinese smuggling Chinese into the country,keeping them working at half the minimum-wage in China Town,girls working as prostitutes it goes on and on..... :evil:

badger
November 28th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Lilith, I put a link in my first post. I confess that this is a recent thing for me, you don't read the label and everything is so cheap. And the dollar stores here are stuffed with people who can shop till they drop and literally everything is made in China. But it's not just the dollar stores, I went to Ikea last week and came out with a roll of Xmas paper and ribbon (made in Great Britain) everything else I wanted had to be left behind because made in China. Forget it.
I agree about the Olympics, but what can you do (except not go). It just seems that China has dropped off the radar. Money talks, that's it, that's all. Watch MacDonald's get the contract for the Olympic Village, just watch, it's in the (greasy) bag.

chico2
November 29th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Badger,when IKEA opened their first store in Sweden,EVERYTHING was made in Sweden,but I too noticed the tiny"made in China"stickers,it's sad..
Although the very wealthy owner of IKEA,swears up and down,they inspect their suppliers on a regular basis and it is a Swede overseeing production and labour-relations...$$$$$ will come first.
To me it seems,the individual person does not matter,there are soo many more to replace them :sad:
There was a miningaccident yesterday in a coal-mine,it had a dismal safety-rating,people just do not seem important enough to spend money on safety..

glasslass
November 29th, 2004, 07:50 PM
A really interesting book about slave labor and exploitation is Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy by Kevin Bales. It's a real eye-opener.

badger
December 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks Glasslass, I'll look for it. So much to read, so little time...