Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Litter Training

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Yin Yin is an expert in her litter box habbits. In fact, the other day, she got her little dainty paws wet and being the tiny Diva that she is, did not want to get litter on the wet paws. So she jumped on the edge of the rubbermaid litter box and did her biz from there (she had to do no. 2 - hope this is not tmi, lol).

Anyway, my question is has anyone ever trained a kitty to use the toilet? Yin Yin's mother was trained to do this (tho she trained her babies to use the litter box - au natural you might say). I was contemplating it and Yin Yin's box (the main one) is next to the toilet in the bath off my bedroom. The suggestion is you keep pushing the box up higher and then on to the toilet (with a pan you can cut out of) so that finally the cat just uses the toilet.

Then I read recently by a PETA person that it is not good to train cats to use a toilet. Let them be natural and use a litter box.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this matter?

(I took Yin Yin outside for a minute or two today when I went to get something in the car. She uttered a loud Siamese howl the entire time, it was too funy!) (And it has been unseasonably warm here, 12C yesterday!!)

Lucky Rescue
November 26th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Lots of people don't approve of this, and it does frustrate the cat's natural instinct to dig and bury it's waste.

I have personally never tried this, and even if having 3 cats doesn't make it practical, I still wouldn't do it.

Here are two articles - one on why this is not a good idea and the other on how to teach your cat to do this.

Toilet Training (http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/ownwords/catcatalog.html)

Let a cat be a cat! (http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/toilet.html)

CyberKitten
November 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks Lucky - I will read the articles. I've already done some research and there are good arguments both for and against. I tend to be for the natural method - just thinking about when the kitty ages. (arthritis, less agility) if the cat using the toliet is for the human convenience and not as good for the cat then it is questionable. Soooo.... that's where I am at on the issue. Thanks again!

As it is now, I have two litter boxes in easy to access places (one being the bathroom of course).

Yin Yin's mom's humans say since Precious (Yin Yin's mom) uses the toliet less freqently the birth of her kittens (and taught her babies the regular method -with some human assistance <g>), they may not return to the practice. They have another seal point female kitty who does it but the cats have their own bathroom.