Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spots on his gums

CarlaD
November 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Morning!

I was looking at Willy's teeth last night which are nice and white, but he has these black spots on his gums.

It does not wipe off, and he doesn't hurt him when I touch it.

What could this be?

CarlaD
November 26th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I looked it up and it does not appear to be gum disease because it does not hurt him there is no change in his eating and chewing and it is not inflammed.

It said that dogs can have spots on their mouth if they have spots on their body. Willy has a ton of spots on his tummy, so I think that is what it is. Next time we are at the vets for shots, I will have them take a quick look at it.

louie's mum
November 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM
louie has a big black (or dark) splotch on the roof of his mouth. i forgot to ask vet cuz louie freaked out so much when doc tried to look at his teeth.
he's patchy (with black on white) everywhere else, i'm hoping this is just a continuation of that. (he even has splotches on the pads of his paws)
will get checked at neutering appt. (dec 9th is the BIG day - hope he holds out ;) )
he eats soft and hard food just fine and doesn't seem to be bothered by it either.
keep me posted if u find anything else out about this.
thanks and good luck with ur babe.
:)

Karin
November 26th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Some dogs can have a normal black pigmentation to their gums.

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
It is very normal and as long as it did not just appear he is probably fine

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM
As far as I understand, it is normal for any animal to have black or grey spots in their skin. There are so many assumptions on what it is, unless its bothering him, just remember to mention it to the vet next time you're in. You could even call and they'll do their best to answer your questions over the phone.

melanie
November 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM
i just looked, and there are black spots on her gums, her skin is also diff colors, black in some spots, more pink in others to near human on belly. charlie says she would like me to stop doing this now :love: :D :p

Shaykeija
November 26th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Sophie my shih tzu has tri colour markings. White. gold and a touch of black. When we bath her, she looks like a dalmation. She has that many black spots on her body. She also has black on the roof of her mouth. Nothing to worry about.