Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sore Ear

eileenore
November 26th, 2004, 04:22 AM
My dog keeps getting sore ears. One in particular looks very red, hot to the touch, scaly and seems to be very sore. It has cleared up in the past with a course of steroids. My vet thinks there is a slim chance it could be a food allergy. He has been on a special diet but it's recurred again. What can I do?

MIA
November 26th, 2004, 11:54 AM
What food is the dog on now? If there are any grains in it that could be the cause, usually ear infections are caused by yeast and certain ingredients feed the yeast. Check the food and I suggest finding one all natural without corn, wheat etc... Also you can try the Blue Ear Treatement, it works incredibly well and is cheap to make, you must stick to the schedule though otherwise it's a waste of time:

http://itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Blue%20Power%20Ear%20Treatment.pdf

:crazy:

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Blue ear solution is great I use it all the time but you can also add yogurt to your dogs food and it is a natural pennicillan (thanks Cactus flower it works).
I would see your vet and get the infection cleared up because you need antibiotics for it. Once cleared up start using the blue solution 1 a week and add some yogurt with live culture not the fruit stuff plain or vanilla my guy wont eat plain it must be vanilla. Buddy suffers from chronic ear infections and this regiment has worked really well.

MIA
November 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Antibiotics made my dogs ears WORSE. If the ears are yeasty, antibiotics actually make it worse. Yogurt is GREAT you can also just buy powered acidophilous depending on which is easier for you. My dog has had ear issues since he got older and nothing that the vet gave me worked, and then I tried the blue ear treatment and WOW it was clearing up in a matter of a week. You can smell the ears and know if it's yeast, very distinct smell and the vet can tell you as well :thumbs up

badger
November 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Do you think this blue stuff woud work on cats? Badger's ears look like he has mites, but he doesn't, and I know sometimes they bother him and cleaning regularly doesn't seem to do the trick. Don't smell yeasty though.

MIA
November 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I don't think I would use it for mites as it's not really meant for it.... Get to the vets as mites are yucky! I beleive mineral oil is better for mites. Mites is something I would see a vet for!!!!!

Rottimom
November 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM
As I said on another post Herc had really itchy paws and was licking them all the time. The itchy paws seemed to go hand in hand with ear infections. (red, hot, shaking his head a lot) Since we have avoided wheat and wheat products (on the vets advice about a food allergy) both problems are much better. Are there any other symptoms? If it is a food allergy then avoiding the food is much more preferable than giving medication, and as you said the antibiotics seem to make the ears worse. Although narrowing it down to "what" ingredient can be tricky. Good luck.

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Try and avoid corn, gluttens, and soya they really are just filler and dogs are regularly allergic to them. What are you food feeding now?

MIA
November 26th, 2004, 01:11 PM
If you can find a really simple food like California Natural it's a great place to start with a food allergy. Keep the dog on it a month or so and if things improve then you can start slowly introducing other things and keep a record as that's one way to know what the dog is allergic too. If you are feeding the dog lamb, try another protien source. I have also seen vegetarian kibble out there which would be aother great place to start. Best thing though is high quality food without corn or wheat fillers.

Here are the ingredients for California Natural (as an example of a simple food):

Chicken Meal
Ground Brown Rice
Ground White Rice
Sunflower Oil
Natural Flavors
Taurine
Flaxseed
Vitamins/Minerals

Rice shouldn't bother a dog much, where as corn, wheat etc will.